Recommended engineer to strip / refurb Quick anchor windlass - Clyde

dunedin

Visit site
Hi
My Quick Antares anchor winch has been used quite extensively over recent years, and is now starting to make a graunching noise when lifting. Reading & looking at some stuff online suggests it could be the bearings needing a bit of TLC.

With all the other things on, I probably lack the time and expertise to do this myself between being un-locked-down and the season starting. So any recommendations of an engineer / handyman who could do this sort of strip & refurb.
Boat in Largs so looking for somebody local. Clearly the big boys like DDZ would be able to do this, but may be a bit uneconomic vs windlass value. Any other thoughts.

PS Posting on Scuttlebutt rather than PBO, where they would tell me I should be able to do this standing on one leg, blindfolded and whilst varnishing at the same time :)

awol

Visit site
Your plastic fantastic has wood to varnish ??? Remove the thing, take it into your garage, and admire the sculptural effect of the salt encrusting - at least that's what I did with my "Quick". Enjoy explaining to Strathclyde's finest why your trip is essential!

dunedin

Visit site
Your plastic fantastic has wood to varnish ??? Remove the thing, take it into your garage, and admire the sculptural effect of the salt encrusting - at least that's what I did with my "Quick". Enjoy explaining to Strathclyde's finest why your trip is essential!

As I was writing my PS about “not on PBO” I was thinking that won’t save me from awol’s damnation for wimping out ;-). Using a local engineer might be necessary partly because of the ridiculous obsession Nicola has over travel beyond city centres

Neeves

Visit site
When the ticket arrives I'll tell you my flight numbers and you can book the hotel. :).

We actually need permission to leave the country - you worry about lockdown, we now live in a large penal colony! Forward to the past!

Its an easy item to service. It should dismount easily and quickly. Take it home and do it there. Windlass should be serviced, or looked at to see if they need to be serviced - annually. I'm actually not an expert on Quicks but the designs of windlass is amazingly similar. The biggest issue are the gearbox and the shaft, lubrication needed for both (and a good clean). I find the biggest issue with windlass is that manufacturers use some aluminium castings, hold the device together with stainless fasteners - and those who install (or service) don't bother to use Duralac and the whole thing can corrode into one immovable lump.

I gather you are in lockdown - wait till the opportunity develops - go back to the boat, take windlass off, take home - easy. It will save you a fortune!

Jonathan

Bodach na mara

Visit site
As I was writing my PS about “not on PBO” I was thinking that won’t save me from awol’s damnation for wimping out ;-). Using a local engineer might be necessary partly because of the ridiculous obsession Nicola has over travel beyond city centres
Maybe Polis Scotland have more on their minds than the odd (very) boat owner wanting to do a bit of maintenance but I noticed that LYH in an email have said that us mucky infested folk from tier 4 should not come to the marina. And there was me thinking that a bit of essential shopping (in Morrisons) could be used as an excuse to have a look at Sea Hawk.

I am not familiar with the Quick windlass but have refurbish a couple of S L models:- a manual Hyspeed (bicycle chain driven version) and an electric Seawolf. In my experience getting the things off is only the first problem, finding out how they come apart is bedevilled by concealed fasteners and the need for tools that you don't have. Good luck!

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
I know its the last thing you should think of but having the manual to hand, when dismantling a windlass, can actually be quite enlightening. Many are available on line, Mr Google might even help you to find one. If all else fails you could also ask the manufacturer.

I had inadvertently not tightened one of the power leads sufficiently and the new Maxwell windlass would only deploy not retrieve. I sought advise direct from Maxwell, don't faff about when they run a 24/365 support service - they sent me the manual by email (with a host of reasons for the 'failure) one of which was 'check the power cables').

Jonathan

dunedin

Visit site
So an update in case of use to anybody else ......

Thanks QBhoy for your suggestion (one of the few replies not subject to thread drift :) )
Look up RL marine
I contacted Ross Lindsay who replied very promptly, but was too busy with existing work and Largs slightly outside his usual patch. However he was able to make some sugestions.

Quay Marine and Mobile Yacht Services responded promptly, but were also very busy. I have used MYS before and Chris did a great for me on that occasion.

But fortunately Garry Wood at GPW Marine responded equally promptly and, though again busy, was able to squeeze this job in. He also fitted a wireless remote control, operating both the bow thruster and windlass - the former proving to be a huge benefit already for berthing when solo. He has now completed both jobs and I was impressed with his thorough approach

Mainsail's post also prove to be on the money:
When my windlass started making funny noises I bought a new one. As they took off the old one it fell to pieces in their hands. Are you sure repair will be the best way forward?
My Quick windlass is only 8 years old, but has been used very extensively for the past 6 years, and had started to make screeching noises under load, though otherwise working fine.
Garry sourced the bearing kit from Quick, but I gather it prove to be quite a task to dismantle the windlass (as I suspected, hence why I was happy to leave to somebody who had done this before and has the right tools). And, whilst most of the windlass was OK, one key component had corroded beyond reuse - and this part was no longer available. However, Garry managed to get a new part custom made locally, to be able to reassemble the windlass, when it looked like we might have to scrap and buy new.
A great example of "going the extra mile" to resolve a problem.

Neeves

Visit site
Thanks Dunedin - its nice when people describe the outcome of their threads.

There are 3 major issues with windlass.

Many of them appear to be made from aluminium castings which are held together with stainless bolts and studs - with the inevitable corrosion. When installed the installer has never heard of Duralac (or the fancy grease whose name I can never recall) that would retard the corrosion. Finally windlass have a roughly annual service requirement, take them apart check the oil in the gearbox, clean and grease the shaft (and renew the Duralac). If you have windlass its actually quite easy - as long as you have a nice sunny afternoon.

I get asked to help with windlass that are. making funny noises, I always take an an angle grinder as it is often the best solution - after being ignored for 10 years.

Windlass are amazing bits of kit - totally abused and they seem to last, almost, for ever.

Jonathan