Recommend me best heating method

kolyo

Visit site
Take a look at the Webasto integrated systems which will handle heating, water and a/c

For us, Cyprus based, all covered with one system? Priority, though, was a/c but nights can be chilly in Jan/Feb.

I have a Webasto car unit in my Land Cruiser 100 running on petrol and it does the job very well even in temps bellow -20C . Now that I'm planning to spend my winters in Greece I will no more need to warm up the car when freezing cold. But I do need some sort of integrated sanitary water/cabin heating system for my Bayliner 2556. Would it work if I took the Webasto off the car and used it as the basis for such an integrated system in my boat? If so, what additional parts do I have to buy in order to have enough hot water for showering (2 persons) plus the normal washing up in the galley.

Allergy

Live in East London, UK. Boat in Portsmouth Harbou
Visit site
I don't think anyone's mentioned insulation yet - if it were me I'd be thinking of insulating the hull sides and coach roof as well if at all possible, which I appreciate will be tricky there's little enough headroon in there to start with. And a dripfeed diesel heater or a charcoal heater for simplicity, reliability and lack of need for electric power. For comfort you need to find a balance with a combination of insulation, ventilation and dry heat...
Adding insulation to my Regatta290 this year (Westerly headling droop) so complete re-lining job.:(

dgadee

Visit site
Adding insulation to my Regatta290 this year (Westerly headling droop) so complete re-lining job.:(

Just back from a 'summer' trip up the Clyde. Had our Sig Marine diesel heater on every night. Crew pleaded to open the hatch, it was so hot. Who needs insulation?

jimthesail

Visit site
Ahoy !
Taylor Diesel Heater
Would like to know the principles of the burner end ? Had one a long time ago and need to know how the fuel was dispensed into the burner, if there was any cooling air, preheating or flue induced turbulence ?
Cheers
Jim

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The Chinese heaters go by the name of Planar (which seems to have been stolen from the Russian version.). They are very cheap, have variable output levels and really do chuck out the heat. They do consume electrical power though. They are copies of the Eber heaters and have small (1 inch) exhaust outlets.
Watch out, the Chinese "planar" knock offs are NOT the same as the genuine Russian ones made by Autoterm.

I'm pretty happy with my Planar, much cheaper than Ebspacher, Wallas and Webasto and better made than the Chinese rip offs.

Money no object, probably the Wallas.

Plum

Visit site

srm

Visit site
Ahoy !
Taylor Diesel Heater
Would like to know the principles of the burner end ? Had one a long time ago and need to know how the fuel was dispensed into the burner, if there was any cooling air, preheating or flue induced turbulence ?
Cheers
Jim
About thirty years since I used one so this is from memory. A very basic gravity drip feed. Valve to adjust the drip rate. Light it with some meths and paper in the burner bowl then start the diesel drip.
Works well in calm conditions, however I have had it blown out by downdraught then explosively reignite blowing all the soot and fumes into the cabin.

I replaced it with a Wallas heater after the explosion in the flue as I was living on board. Fitted another Wallas to my present boat when sailing in northern waters.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Before fitting my Planar, I read a lot of accounts of fitting all sorts of heaters. The people fitting Chinese copies did report often having to replace the shoddy / non marine fittings so the cost difference with the planar is less. The planar also comes with a lovely quiet fuel pump as standard, good instructions, good support / service centres & a 3 year warranty.

My little present to myself was the remote modem - I can check status, temp on boat, battery charge and switch heater on/off from bed - at home! But that is pure excessive bling (well, no coffee out for months in lockdown paid for it!). The first modem supplied was faulty & was replaced next working day, no problem.

The groups do seem to report a higher failure rate amongst the Chinese items - although they are so cheap that you just drop a replacement in, it is a pain if you're on a cruise. I guess if it's a really cold cruise, you could carry a spare!

Plum

Visit site
A mixed bag ? If you look at the nozzle where the oil comes out, what is there, what happens ?
Jim
There is no nozzle, just a hole in the bottom of the combustion pot where the diesel comes in from the copper tube that connects to the "dripper" that alows you to monitor and adjust the diesel flow rate.

Very low maintenance heater. Fitted mine 25 years ago (i got it second hand and beleive it is at least 35 years old) and only had to replace the flame failure valve. No other maintenance.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Kelpie

Visit site
Oh, and the planar modem does allow the service center to remote diagnose faults, which could be handy - £99 for the modem.
Or you buy a complete new Chinaspacher for that money...

Maybe they are less reliable. Both the units I have fitted have been faultless. It would be good to collate some information on the relative failure rates and lifespans, and maybe average ownership cost per year. But probably impossible to actually do that.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Or you buy a complete new Chinaspacher for that money...

Maybe they are less reliable. Both the units I have fitted have been faultless. It would be good to collate some information on the relative failure rates and lifespans, and maybe average ownership cost per year. But probably impossible to actually do that.
I did say that the modem was unnecessary bling - but like all good bling, it's shiny!

jimthesail

Visit site
Thanks Plum. And what stops the pot melting in the way of construction ? Vanes, material and spinners ? I remember mine had a spiral piece of sheet. Where does the air enter ?
You can probably guess what I am attempting to do !
Jim

Plum

Visit site
Thanks Plum. And what stops the pot melting in the way of construction ? Vanes, material and spinners ? I remember mine had a spiral piece of sheet. Where does the air enter ?
You can probably guess what I am attempting to do !
Jim
The pot is made from stainless steel with a central tube over which slots the "spinner" which does not spin, it just swirls the fire.
This is the pot Taylors HTD5371 Burner Pot Stool Complete (Diesel)) and this is the spinner Taylors HTD5381 Burner Pot Stool Complete (Modified Type)

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

jimthesail

Visit site
Thank you Colin ! An annular burning chamber with needle valve controlled drip feed to the bottom with central air supply spun spirally by helical vane !
With a bit of tin ware, all for £1600 ! As someone said, here come the Chinese ?

HenrikH

Visit site
In Norway, most boats use air-blowing heaters. Drip feed heaters were common in the age of Colin Archer rescue yachts.

I am about to install a german heater. The China price is tempting, but a good nights sleep and not to worry about the heater internals also has it`s price.