Recommend apps for phone with no other navionics etc on board! What is navionics, never mind.

Zagato

Visit site
I am not a tech, geek, nerd avoiding life's real experiences by sitting in a chair all day and night watching a screen with a baseball hat back to front... Hmm few prejudices there! ? BUT...

I have just bought a Samsung m31s as my 14 year old son has one and he can be my technical support!

Can you recommend the following hopefully free or VERY cheap.

Navigation app.
Weather app.
Driving app that warns you about speed cameras and your speed.

Many thanks... getting off the tech now to finish planting shrubs and how to put a new balance shaft in my old SAAB 96 engine... I am clearly my own hero ?

Sent from my iPad

dunedin

Visit site
For where you appear to be, Navionics is indeed probably the obvious charting / navigation app. Easy to use and does the job.

Frankly I don’t bother with a weather App on my phone. I use the browser and keep open ready to refresh a variety of weather sites. The important thing is to understand the different weather models being used - so on the mobile I have bookmarked
- Met Office Inshore Waters print format (as it says, Met Office model)
- XCweather - GFS based and good visual overview of UK wide wind for next days
- BBC Weather - now uses French forecaster rather than Met Office
Many weather Apps are over simplistic and designed for land based use. Do have PredictWind App on the iPad, which has a larger screen needed to gain most benefit, which allows alongside comparison of 3-4 weather models.

Can‘t advise on your speeding gadget - somebody called Richard may be along to advise ;-)

Edit - added Absolute Tides

Last edited:

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Regarding a driving app with speed cameras and speed, your phone is an android and therefore able to download and use google maps which includes driving. This is what young people use nowadays, its very good and always up to date

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Much appreciated folks, i can get these loaded and at least try and keep up with the gadgets .

An alternative for navigation you could get the paid version of OpenCPN for Android. It's about a tenner. Bribe a handy teenager to install it for you from the Google play store. Inform teenager not to bother with the free version, it's very old now.

Then you can get o-charts, the whole UK for £20. Bribe the same teenager to do that for you as well. I could give you the link to the o-charts website that you could copy down on a bit of paper and proffer to said teenager, but he would make scoffing noises and ignore it. He'll find it.

As you've now bribed teenager twice try, to get him to do a third favour for free - install the Windy app, also from Google play store. If teenager skulks off in a huff refusing to do third task without payment, accidently switch off the house router until he emerges from his bedroom, and try again. It's probably a lost cause, but worth a go.

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
Much appreciated folks, i can get these loaded and at least try and keep up with the gadgets .
I am not a tech, geek, nerd avoiding life's real experiences by sitting in a chair all day and night watching a screen with a baseball hat back to front... Hmm few prejudices there! ? BUT...

Sent from my iPad

Methinks he doth protest too much. ;)

Gwylan

Visit site
Navionics, just watch the clearance heights on any bridges. Or have they fixed the approach to Cork?
Meteo Consult it is in the AppShop.

And Waze, thought it is not as good as it was.

Neeves

Visit site
My daughter would giggle too much ☺

Giggling is good, life can be too serious.

I'm no expert on which is best - you might want an anchoring app

I'd persuade the kids to add what you eventually decide as the best apps - phone battery life can be an issue and having 2 devices means you have 2 batteries.

Jonathan