Recommend a yacht surveyor in Blackwater River area?

KevO

Visit site
Am looking for a personal recommendation for a yacht surveyor in the Blackwater River area, Essex (Southminster).

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Thanks Sailorman... Personal experience of?

May I second that recommendation and add my own personal experience.

I first met Martin in 1987 when I was in Ostende with my boat; he had just helped a couple with their first crossing and was walking down the pontoon to get the ferry when I offered him a passage home - he proved to be throughly competent and a precise navigator.

He has surveyed my boat, he has supervised completions from bare hulls and rebuilds of old boats by friends. Careful, thoughtful, thorough, practical.

Martin owns, and sails, often singlehanded, the small (45ft) ferrocement Thames Barge "ARMADILLO" - the only boat I know with a Rayburn in the saloon!

MoodySabre

Visit site
I recently used Joe Kershaw from Mersea 07770520737 for an insurance survey and he was very thorough.

Paul Stevens of Mayland 01621-740613 is good too - he started the whole seacock materials debate. He is sometimes away teaching other surveyors.

KevO

Visit site
To close this one off and to acknowledge good service....

Having sought quotes from several surveyors (including some recommended above) I eventually went with Dominic Buckley of East Anglia Yacht Surveys. I chose him for a number of reasons. The price quoted was only £330 all in for a full pre-purchase survey of a 30' 1972 yacht (£150 cheaper than another quote I had), the examples of previous surveys he sent me seemed very detailed and professionally produced, and he was an Ex Royal Navy engineeer with all the right quals and therefore I was happy to send my
business his way.

It turns out I made a very good choice. He was thorough, professional, approachable, prompt, and the survey report was nearly 50 pages of detailed, logical assessment supported by clearly articulated observations and appropriate photographic evidence. Exactly what I wanted.

No connection other than a very happy customer who wants to acknowledge a job well done. :)