Recommend a rivet tool

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
You need to drill a hole to the size recommended for the rivet to get the best result.

rivet-hole-size-chart.png

Norman_E

Visit site
Thanks for these comments. I'm sorry to conclude that monel rivets from Force 4 may be less good than required, especially at around £1 per rivet. The rust marks I've noticed (in some cases) would seem to show they have mild steel mandrels.

I'm not especially worried about some visual corrosion of the mandrel, although it is odd that most haven't suffered while some do. All were from Force 4.

Reading this thread and the earlier 2015 one, I didn't feel anyone had established absolutely what the mandrel ought to be made from, in order to be strong enough in use, and critically, able to be set every time without the mandrel failing.

Norman, where did your 100% reliable rivets come from?
Sorry for late reply as I have been away. I can't now tell you where I bought all of the monel rivets from, but some certainly came from Aladdins Cave chandlery, which is now owned by Force 4, and most from chandlers in Marmaris. I don't think any had shown rust before I sold the boat, but where I could I punched out the mandrels after setting the rivets. When working with stainless rivets on the kit car, I always punched out the mandrels. It is very important to use correct length rivets. Too short and they are not going to be strong enough, but if too long it will be difficult or impossible to punch out the mild steel core.

dancrane

Visit site
Actually my query was July 2020 - you have been away!

I've long since sold the boat I was discussing, but with other boat jobs, the rivet question is never quite tidied away.

I'm guessing that the long-arm (22") riveter from Faithfull tools is probably my best bet, without spending hundreds of pounds. It may not be handy for one-handed or masthead work, but for my purposes it appears to have the critical advantage of providing sufficient leverage and (I presume) of being made strongly enough not to fail in use.

The hardness of monel - particularly in large sizes - seems to introduce or exacerbate the weakness (and the user's physical disadvantage) of smaller or less robust tools. What was adequate for 3mm aluminium, needs to be much bigger and hardier for larger monel rivets.