Recomend six books,please

Scomber

Visit site
Lessons In Stoicism , J Sellars. If you like it then Meditations Marcus Aurelius. If you like that Philosophical thoughts of a fighter pilot. Relaxing easy escapism ,,,, then ,Reacher novels ( me in order) . I annually read The Old Man And The Sea. ( couple hrs).

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Have just finished reading the 'Shardlake' novel series by C.J. Samson, set in Tudor England the central character is a lawyer who is involved in investigating various mysteries. If you enjoy a detective novel then try these.
Not a seafaring series but there is one book where the central character is on the Mary Rose when she sinks.

Euphonyx

Visit site
Agincourt: Ranulph Fiennes
Heart of Darkness: Conrad
The Man in the High Castle: Phillip Dick
The Ginger Man: J.P Dunleavy
The Last enemy: Richard Hillary
Decline and Fall: Evelyn Waugh

Kilo

Visit site
A prayer for Owen Meany, John Irvine.
Catch 22, Joseph Heller.
Big +1 for A suitable boy.
And if you've got good Internet access & scent already had a look then it's worth trawling through "book club" & "a good read" archives on radio 4.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Master Mariner, Running Proud; Nicholas Monserrat. Simply amazing book.
The Song of the Sirens; Ernest T Gann. The 17 loves of his life - from 117 ton Brigantine downwards, all wooden, all with sails. captivating.
Both boaty and top of the tops for writing.
Star Maker; Olaf Stapledon. Possibly the first 'modern' Sci-Fi novel from the '30s. Philosphical and fascinating. Nothing like your usual Sci-fi potboiler by any means.
Red Earth and Pouring Rain; Vikram Chandra. Huge, long, complex mystically-styled novel set in rural India. Atmospheric and captivating.
The Stand; Steven King. The tale of a really serious pandemic, with a twist.
His Dark Materials; Philip Pulman. Epic 3 book series on a par with TLOTR for imagination. Exploring the anti-church undercurrents is optional.
A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water, The Broken Road; Patrick Leigh Fermor. A real bucket-list imperative if you like travel writing and the most exquisite use of English . 18Yr old rebel sets out in January, 1935 (ish) to walk to Constantinople. And does!Captivating and rare look at life in E Europe before the war eradicated it for ever. (He was later in charge of the mission to abduct General Kreiper in Crete - another great book)

stranded

Visit site
As a non scientific person I really enjoyed Bill Bryson’s The Body. I learnt a lot too, as did a consultant gastric surgeon who shall remain nameless who initially disbelieved my registrar daughter when she recounted to him the tale of the french patient who exploded when the medics pumped him up a bit…

Poecheng

Visit site
Master Mariner, Running Proud; Nicholas Monserrat. Simply amazing book.
I bought a Sadler 26 (Samphire) in West Mersea in about 1989 or 1990 and when I got her, there on the bookshelf was a single book Master Mariner, Running Proud, which I read and read again and agree, it is an amazing book. I have just gone on the hunt through my books and found it tucked away in a corner of the cabin. I have dug it out now and it will come back to town with me on the train tonight. Thanks

Aeolus

Visit site
I bought a Sadler 26 (Samphire) in West Mersea in about 1989 or 1990 and when I got her, there on the bookshelf was a single book Master Mariner, Running Proud, which I read and read again and agree, it is an amazing book. I have just gone on the hunt through my books and found it tucked away in a corner of the cabin. I have dug it out now and it will come back to town with me on the train tonight. Thanks
I read that ages ago, but was disappointed to find that the author had died before he completed volume II. Just looked for the book on Amazon and discovered that part II was finished by his wife and published! So now I am looking forward to rereading the first part and reading the second for the 1st time :)

Thanks!

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
crime and punishment Doestovsky ,awesome book . So many great old books I dont think I would ever get around to new ones.

Scomber

Visit site
As a non scientific person I really enjoyed Bill Bryson’s The Body. I learnt a lot too, as did a consultant gastric surgeon who shall remain nameless who initially disbelieved my registrar daughter when she recounted to him the tale of the french patient who exploded when the medics pumped him up a bit…
Me too , great book .

graham

Visit site
Farley Mowatt "The boat that wouldn't float" About a Newfoundland man who buys an old wooden yacht and learns as he goes in foggy rock strewn waters.What could possibly go wrong !

Slowboat35

Visit site
I read that ages ago, but was disappointed to find that the author had died before he completed volume II. Just looked for the book on Amazon and discovered that part II was finished by his wife and published! So now I am looking forward to rereading the first part and reading the second for the 1st time :)

Thanks!
You know - if I had the chance again I'd rather just delight in re-reading the original and not know about the sequel. I found it very disappointing because it simply wasn't written by Nicholas Monserrat and showed it. I found it a big let-down but then you may find otherwise... I was reassured however that the intriguing character Matthew Lawe was destined to find peace in the end as he so richly deserved.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Crime Fiction: Kate Rhodes. A series about a Scillonian returning home from the Met to find a murder on one island per book. I love the way the urgency is conveyed by having to jog across Bryher! Not a masterpiece but well written and entertaining, especially if you know the islands.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Read anything by doestovosky,Albert Camus,Tolstoy Dickens etc I only read old classics as I think they're the best.