Realising the dream - The Guardian

Neeves

Visit site
I was confused as to why a comment on the media was not in the Lounge... :giggle:

Because I don't inhabit The Lounge - life is too short. :)

Jonathan
Neeves, I just Google searched that article for the word “anchor“

No hits !!

You in rehab or what?
:)

What lies beneath? I have hidden depths. You only see one facet - think what you are missing...... :)

• Love
Reactions: dom

dansaskip

seabear.uk

TiggerToo

Visit site
If you want more detail then it can be found in my book "A Pensioner's Folly" or on my blog: seabear.uk
as someone who read that article this morning (I wondered if you were on here!), and as someone who may embark on a similar sort of thing in the coming years, I was struck by the the concluding sentence. As someone who is not great with crowds, but for whom loneliness is a bit of a burden, this worries me most.

zoidberg

Visit site
Because I don't inhabit The Lounge - life is too short. :)
Jonathan
What lies beneath? I have hidden depths. You only see one facet - think what you are missing...... :)

You're the kind of fanatic I'd happily share a bottle ( and two glasses ) with....

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
as someone who read that article this morning (I wondered if you were on here!), and as someone who may embark on a similar sort of thing in the coming years, I was struck by the the concluding sentence. As someone who is not great with crowds, but for whom loneliness is a bit of a burden, this worries me most.
Yes I found that too. A beautiful anchorage was something I wanted to share. On my own it was a bit "well what do I do now?" But the solo ocean crossing is fantastic.

Neeves

Visit site
It was the discordant note in the article - the absence of sharing.

I found the article 'nice' and the blog fascinating - but that final note took the edge off it all - but it was a reflection of real life.

I suspect many don't realise the dream not through lack of skill, nor courage - but the absence of having someone to share with.

You're the kind of fanatic I'd happily share a bottle ( and two glasses ) with....

Thank you - next time........we are in the UK I'll bring a bottle (or 2) - if you don't mind - you can supply the glasses.

I'm glad I did not relegate this to the Lounge - this is what Scuttlebutt and PBO are about - at one end of the spectrum. It (the voyage) was a stunning achievement. Its a sad reflection that its done when you have that amount of time on your hands - when most are sitting in front of the fire with their slippers on (or for Oz - on the sun deck with tinnie in hand (and large gut).

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Yes I found that too. A beautiful anchorage was something I wanted to share. On my own it was a bit "well what do I do now?" But the solo ocean crossing is fantastic.

49174939452_2c98c33318_z.jpg

Now that's a beautiful anchorage....

And I have enjoyed enough of them to want to go seeking some more.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Climb the hill? Why else go there (to catch the crayfish....).

Jonathan
Yes I did climb hills; and I did snorkel; and lots of other things too. And I enjoyed myself very much; but I still wanted to share it with someone.
I kept notes for'next time' in the logbook. Top of the list was a: companion. I'd completely forgotten about it until a few years later, on an Iberian cruise, my partner found it. She just laughed ?

TiggerToo

Visit site
49174939452_2c98c33318_z.jpg

Now that's a beautiful anchorage....

And I have enjoyed enough of them to want to go seeking some more.
this place looks vaguely familiar. Many such beauties, just a couple of hundred meters up the river, and again... and again....

And then, exploring the upper reaches (too shallow for our deep fin) with the dinghy powered by our trusty e-outboard, practically silent (just the ripples), as the sun sets, and the egrets go fishing, and the owls start hooting...

All the better, if shared with a loved one, or a friend.