Re-naming a boat.

Quandary

Visit site
Our current yacht was commissioned in the late nineties and the first owner gave it the name 'Corona' would not have been my choice but inoffensive at the time. The current pandemic has been given the same name resulting in a plethora of smartarse remarks from those aware of the boats name, so it is suggested that I might change it. As far as I know she is not on the SSR though the sails have GBR racing numbers. I suspect the unfortunate association will last longer than I will.
My wife's suggestion , which she claims has the twin advantages of appropriateness and minimal interference with the graphics, is that I chould remove the 'a' and change the 'C' to an 'M', while it might please her I am not sure that it would eliminate the ribald comments, so any other suggestions?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
You could of course lose the a and add et to make the name Coronet.
But whatever you do don't forget to go through the full traditional ceremony of changing the name on a boat including toasting the four winds.
We even did this when we changed the name of our tender.
Superstitious or what?

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
My boat was originally NARESE, an anagram of the owner's wife's name Serena - next she was called CONCORDIA, a name I was prescient enough to have changed before Capt Schettino performed his lucky fall into a lifeboat. I followed the original owner's concept and created a name from the leading letters of my daughters' and wife's name in an attempt to gain brownie points, an idea I would recommend.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You could of course lose the a and add et to make the name Coronet.
But whatever you do don't forget to go through the full traditional ceremony of changing the name on a boat including toasting the four winds.
We even did this when we changed the name of our tender.
Superstitious or what?

And placing a silver coin beneath the mast.

Quandary

Visit site
I suspect the name change if it happens will be carried out up a ladder while the boat is in the yard, any toasts would be dependent on whether the ships stores survive that long which I doubt, though I am pleased to see that Boris has included off licenses in his list of essential businesses.
Not so sure about Coronet but it would be easy to do.

Rappey

Visit site
There is, or was a boat around portsmouth harbour called candida ! He seemed happy with the name !

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It certainly does.. Corona beer , claimed to be the biggest selling brand "allegedly" took a massive hit at the beginning of the virus outbreak due to its name.

Did you see the Corona brand (soft drink, I think, vaguely remembered from my childhood) milk float which appeared to be wearing a surgical mask? I still don't know if genuine full size (major effort) or just photo-shopped (less effort for an expert, I suppose)...

Mike.

Quandary

Visit site
I think I might be having to go with the wifes idea, her other suggestion is to substitute the first two letters of our surname for the 'C' but the letters are too close to the edge of the transom. The home port below is 'Strangford' someone suggested deleting Corona and making that the name.

In a proper Quandary now.