RCD and experimental craft

jj42

Visit site
I am looking at importing a boat from the USA, it's a fairly unusual design, custom built (one off).

I'm trying to understand who, for the purposes of the RCD regulations, determines if a craft is "experimental" and if I can import her under this designation. Would this result in a separate category of regulations that would apply instead or make it hard to get insurance?

Lucy52

Visit site
I think you must either contact HM Gov yourself and ask, or employ one of the compliance companies to do it for you. UK compliance is handled by the people below.

I think it unlikely that the boat would be so different from any other to be truly experimental whether one off, custom-built or not, There again, it might be, but you need to ask the people who will make that decision.

If it has an engine this will have to comply with the latest emissions regulations. If it doesn't it will need a new engine. The shore power electrics are likely to be 110 volts.

There is also VAT and duty to be paid on importation. All of which is why few boats make it across the pond.

HPi-EProofLtd
TheManorHouse,
HowberyPark,
Wallingford
OX108BA
UnitedKingdom

Who are responsible for:
Recreationalcraft
Personalwatercraft
Components
Exhaustemissions
Noiseemissions

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
I wonder how Leo is going to get his boat back to the U.K. without a CE mark. He has replaced every component of his boat so I don’t see how he can claim it is exempt. The only thing that is old is the design.

DownWest

Visit site
I wonder how Leo is going to get his boat back to the U.K. without a CE mark. He has replaced every component of his boat so I don’t see how he can claim it is exempt. The only thing that is old is the design.
Boats built to old designs in original materials are exempt. Also, home builts are exempt if kept for five years from first launch. I went through this with the French reg. Used to more complicated with inspections, bouancy tests etc. By the time I did it in 07, I just signed a bit of paper and they gave me the registration. Commentating "It's your neck" when I asked about tests . One bit of paper included the 5 yr no selling rule.

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
There will be a few original bits in Leo's boat, so he can justifiably claim it's a rebuild, not an original. Only just but...
I think he kept the beam with the reg number? Obviously the best bit to prove provenance. Not sure If I could find the vid with that reference, there are a quite few... And I expect he has thought that through. Sharp Cookie is Leo.

On my little build, back in '07. They still gave it a 'C' on the reg. i.e. coastal. 6nm from a safe haven. Winds and wave heights that make me stay at home, but doable if I was keen..

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
If he was smart, he'd have put a match to the damned thing and started from scratch. It would have taken way less time and money - he'd probably be sailing by now.

He's a romantic - and I salute him for it, while maintaining my firm resolution never to do anything so daft
You have no soul!:D

Beneteau381

Visit site
Yes, I believe you are right, but you still need to go through the process to get the exemption.

It doesn't change the rest, engine, power, VAT, duty, transport etc., and American parts may not be easy to source either.
And hands up by anyone who has had their boat checked by officialdom?

Beneteau381

Visit site
The
I think you must either contact HM Gov yourself and ask, or employ one of the compliance companies to do it for you. UK compliance is handled by the people below.

I think it unlikely that the boat would be so different from any other to be truly experimental whether one off, custom-built or not, There again, it might be, but you need to ask the people who will make that decision.

If it has an engine this will have to comply with the latest emissions regulations. If it doesn't it will need a new engine. The shore power electrics are likely to be 110 volts.

There is also VAT and duty to be paid on importation. All of which is why few boats make it across the pond.

HPi-EProofLtd
TheManorHouse,
HowberyPark,
Wallingford
OX108BA
UnitedKingdom

Who are responsible for:
Recreationalcraft
Personalwatercraft
Components
Exhaustemissions
Noiseemissions
The shore power electrics, if 110, not an issue, change the sockets if you really want to, charger, new one or transformer, wiring, 110v is thicker than 220v so not an issue. American parts? not an issue, 12v is 12v, parts on most boats are generic. As for the CE mark, how many people can truthfully say that they have been checked for that? The radio will have a software switch to change to our way of working. There was a Jeanneau in Holyhead for years, pitched up from the Carib, then left there, I asked the new owner what about vat? He didnt have a clue, nobody from officialdom had even checked it, he skedadled uo north with it!

DownWest

Visit site
I sorted out a Swan. Owner found it in the Pacific and sailed it back via the US. Everything was US orientated, but fixable. He managed the legality without problems. Big inverters to manage the 110 v to 220v shorepower.

[163233]

Visit site
It doesn't change the rest, engine, power, VAT, duty, transport etc., and American parts may not be easy to source either.
Duty is zero on recreational yachts, so it's just VAT. American parts are probably easier to get hold of than French ones, even if you're in France.
Engine might be an issue, but there's a good chance it's a model that's also sold in the EU.

I'd try just pay the duty and see if anyone turns up asking about the RCD.

Just don't have the stars and stripes and a faded "Delaware" on the back... :D