Raymarine ST4000 motor replacement

zulloboy

Visit site
Do you have any left? I managed to cook the motor in my ST2000+.
I'll pay your buy cost, plus postage to Oz, plus enough for a few pints to hopefully persuade you.

Cheers, Graeme

seainblood

Visit site
Excellent thread. Has anyone identified the specs for the capacitor (I have only one)? How does the tiller behave if the capacitor is defunct?
Why does the rod section lock up?

Thanks.

zulloboy

Visit site
Further to this, I could not track down an after-market equivalent for the burnt-out motor in my ST2000+ and refuse to pay nigh on a hundred quid for what should sell for a tenth of that price.

I managed to get a handful of sample prototypes made up by a Chinese factory I found through AliBaba. I reverse-engineered the specs as far as possible, and the one I've put in the ST2000+ seems to be doing pretty well so far. These motors don't look quite as well made as the original, but since the cost was a tiny fraction of what Raymarine and eBay sellers charge, and I have spares, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Cheers, Graeme

MikeInMaine

Visit site
I found an obscure reference.. not necessarily accurate.. that they are 1uf. However, from what I've read their purpose is either to smooth out amperage draw on startup (unlikely in my opinion since they are so small) or rather more likely, smooth out electrical & RF noise from the motor's brushes. Hence running without them should have no operational effect on the pilot but could mess with your radio and other RF dependent devices, as well as cause general electrical noise problems with other devices.

I looked at some 1uf ceramic capacitors and they look similar:

http://www.jameco.com/z/SR305E105MA...ramic-1-micro-F-50V-plusmn-20-37-_768183.html

Zmx

Visit site
My old ST4000 started making awful noises and behaving erratically, the cost of looking at it, let alone repairing it was astronomical. Having nothing to loose I took the drive unit apart and found the motor stiff to turn but every thing else looked OK
The Mabuchi motor RS-555SH with the right length and diameter of shaft was available cheaply but in a minimum order of 15. However I ordered them and found it easy to transfer the gear wheel and solder the 3 little capacitors onto the new motor.
Sea trials saw the old ST4000 chirping merrily away at the tiller as it always did and I'm very pleased with the result.
The downside is, I've now got a lot of RS-555SH motors surplus to requirements, so if anybody wants one for £5 PM me.

IMG_1930%20600%20x%20450_zpsgf8z7k2e.jpg
IMG_1926%20600%20x%20450_zpszc3qfuzk.jpg

Plank
Hi, I'm new on this forum. Just registered to see of you still have any ST4000 ram motors left. No idea what a PM is. Sorry. Site seems to have little in way of instructions to message users. Hope you get this. Thanks.

PlankWalker

Visit site
All the motors I had went like hot cakes, but on Googling Mabuchi Motor RS-555SH They still seem to be available, just make sure the shaft diameter is 1/8" a 3mm diameter wont do.
A PM is a private message.

Ekke

Visit site
All the motors I had went like hot cakes, but on Googling Mabuchi Motor RS-555SH They still seem to be available, just make sure the shaft diameter is 1/8" a 3mm diameter wont do.
A PM is a private message.

Hi Plank Walker

Do you perhaps know what condensators are used on the mabuchi replacement motor for the raymarine St4000 tiller. I have one with a broken portescap motor and i do have a mabuchi replacement. But the portescap had only 1 (now broken) condensator, the mabuchi should have 3. But wich ones an how should they be wired?

Hope you can help
Ekke

PlankWalker

Visit site
Sorry Ekke but electrickery is not my subject, I can just about solder and swap things over.
Maybe someone with knowledge will come along soon and help.

PlankWalker

Visit site
All the motors I had went within a few days.
I just took the capacitors off my old motor and soldered them onto the new motor.
and the ST4000 is still working?

Plank

Bonnjan

Visit site
All the motors I had went within a few days.
I just took the capacitors off my old motor and soldered them onto the new motor.
and the ST4000 is still working?

Plank

thnx for your reply.
The unit still works for about half an hour. Then it gets confused And starts turning to port or starboard heavily. This while wheel doesn’t need any force to correct. So i think the drive unit (motor) is not functioning correctly. I think i am going to buy such a motor myself and solder the capacitors.