Raymarine ST4000 motor replacement

PlankWalker

Visit site
My old ST4000 started making awful noises and behaving erratically, the cost of looking at it, let alone repairing it was astronomical. Having nothing to loose I took the drive unit apart and found the motor stiff to turn but every thing else looked OK
The Mabuchi motor RS-555SH with the right length and diameter of shaft was available cheaply but in a minimum order of 15. However I ordered them and found it easy to transfer the gear wheel and solder the 3 little capacitors onto the new motor.
Sea trials saw the old ST4000 chirping merrily away at the tiller as it always did and I'm very pleased with the result.
The downside is, I've now got a lot of RS-555SH motors surplus to requirements, so if anybody wants one for £5 PM me.

IMG_1930%20600%20x%20450_zpsgf8z7k2e.jpg
IMG_1926%20600%20x%20450_zpszc3qfuzk.jpg

Plank

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
Ooh yes please, if you could spare a couple that would be great. A friend definitely needs a replacement motor and although my ST4000 ram is working at present, for a fiver it would make sense to have a spare. I'll send you a PM.

PlankWalker

Visit site
Is that the same motor as the wheel pilot ?

If it is the same as the wheel pilot I'll take one!

I've done a bit of research and the tiller pilot and wheel pilot motor's look exactly the same,
However I can't find the specification for the wheel pilot, and I haven't got one to strip down, so I can't say for sure.
the motor for the tiller pilot is an RS-555SH with a 3.175mm (1/8") shaft.

Plank

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Anyone know for sure if this is the same motor as the wheel version?[/QUOTE)

Other wheel owners have taken a punt, but I've yet to get any feedback.

PLank

Thanks, I'd be most interested if you do get any feedback .... how many motors do you have left? I'm contemplating taking a punt too ....

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I've received my ST4000 tiller pilot motor and think Shaun has done a great job with this. but I have a question
My old motor only had one capacitor on it linking the two terminals. I would like to install the other two capacitors as per Plank's instructions but have been through the online manuals for the ST4000 and can find no reference to what type of capacitor they are. I'm not very electrical savvy so don't even know what a capacitor does. Can any one help me with the type of capacitor used in the ST4000 Tiller Pilot?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I've received my ST4000 tiller pilot motor and think Shaun has done a great job with this. but I have a question
My old motor only had one capacitor on it linking the two terminals. I would like to install the other two capacitors as per Plank's instructions but have been through the online manuals for the ST4000 and can find no reference to what type of capacitor they are. I'm not very electrical savvy so don't even know what a capacitor does. Can any one help me with the type of capacitor used in the ST4000 Tiller Pilot?

Unfortunately can't see from the photos which capacitors are used (their values). Capacitors effectively store and discharge charge dependent on their rating. Current cannot flow through a capacitor, like it can through a resistor or an inductor. They are the electrical equivalent of a spring in mechanical terms. They are used to suppress electrical noise in motors. Here is a reasonable explanation ...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...pressing-electrical-noise-in-dc-motors.24095/

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Unfortunately can't see from the photos which capacitors are used (their values). Capacitors effectively store and discharge charge dependent on their rating. Current cannot flow through a capacitor, like it can through a resistor or an inductor. They are the electrical equivalent of a spring in mechanical terms. They are used to suppress electrical noise in motors.
There is one of these motors for sale on Ebay. The third photo has a wonderful picture of the capacitors.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...541277?hash=item3d1cf0b1dd:g:PYYAAOSwmtJXWnQR
Interesting that the one I have is round whereas these are square.