Rampart.

burgundyben

Visit site
Encouraged by a thread in the mobo forum, I thought a thread here could act as a virtual meeting point for Rampart owners as it seems the club may have dwindled.

tillergirl

Visit site
My father's Rampart, the Philae. Image about 1959 (I think). I last saw her about 2002 in Boston where she was being rebuilt. Don't know if she was finished. I think Philae was built in 1931, had a BMC petrol 6 cyl 3lt petrol main and a wing 10hp Stuart Turner. In the 1990's she had diesels I think and was then in Lincoln, Braybrook Pool. In Dad's time, she had a steadying sail; the boom was used to lift the Gremlin sailing dinghy off and on. Had original saloon furniture.

DSC00171 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Tradewinds

Visit site
It was just a quickie to get rid of the purple hue.

I'm not a technical person particularly when it comes to image manipulation, more of how it looks and feels. I've manipulated dozens of images over the years in my previous incarnation working in dye-sublimated ceramics (photo mugs to you:ROFLMAO:) and graphic design. I've worked closely with many artists, eg Maggi Hambling, Sarah Lucas to name a couple of the more well-known ones. They know what they want when it comes down to the reproduction of their images. BTW I've retired now - mugged out!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It was just a quickie to get rid of the purple hue.

I'm not a technical person particularly when it comes to image manipulation, more of how it looks and feels. I've manipulated dozens of images over the years in my previous incarnation working in dye-sublimated ceramics (photo mugs to you:ROFLMAO:) and graphic design. I've worked closely with many artists, eg Maggi Hambling, Sarah Lucas to name a couple of the more well-known ones. They know what they want when it comes down to the reproduction of their images. BTW I've retired now - mugged out!
We had all the fun of the fair, editing maps on screen, proofing them on a large-format ink-jet printer and then printing on a massive offset-litho machine! Trying to get colour balanced across all of those was nearly impossible (incompatible colour gamut between screen and printers, for example) - we usually sent a person to the print run so we could do on-the-spot adjustments of the colour on the press. All our equipment was colour calibrated but even so, matching was only so-so.

Rampart Owners

Visit site
Hello all and especially Tillergirl,
The Rampart Owners Club has not dwindled but is very much alive and well! There haven't been many recent postings on our website because members generally communicate through our private WhatsApp group and of course events were few and far between during Covid pandemic.
I monitor the Rampartmotoryachts@hotmail.com email account for those trying to get in touch, but inevitiably as a public website we get a lot of spam etc, so sometimes genuine contacts get missed.
Our records have Philae as boat no. 351 a 31' Rampart model 10, built in 1935 for a Major Worthington in Beaulieu, with original engine as a Morris Commodore Mk1, later replaced by a Perkins diesel in 1969. Last known owner was a Mr R Porter of Lincoln. No mention of a wing engine?
More history and photo's would be greatly appreciated and new owner-members are always very welcome.
From the cleverly re-touched photo, she seems an unusual design for a Rampart - ie with a large aft cabin - and I haven't spotted a another model 10 in our archive.
Look forward to hearing more about her. Simon / Rampart Owners Club Webarchive administrator.

tillergirl

Visit site
Hi. I don't have many photos but I can round up a few. Somewhere I have an image of how she was after sold on from the guy in Lincoln - in a very poor state. Around about 2002/2003 she was being re-built in Boston. She had been replanked but there were a couple of serious issues to resolve with the keel and keelson aft. I wasn't sure if the work would be completed. Somewhere I have some images of Philae in Lincoln, just up the canal from Braybrook Pool. She was ok then but not that smart. I am not sure when that was; the 70s or 80s I guess. In Dad's ownership she had a petrol Commodore - could be the original one but she was in excellent condition - gleaming. max revs were 2k. There was a 8 or 10 hp Stuart Turner with a wing installation at that time. There was a petrol generator - not the quitest!

It will take some time to find and assemble the photos. Would you like to PM me an email address to send all the material?

tillergirl

Visit site
Gosh. Just found some at Nottingham just about to be re-floated in the Spring of 1960 or 61. I painted the topsides and the AF. The yard just touching up the AF where the winter chocks have been removed. This is pre-Beeching. The bridge is the Lady Bay bridge which then was the rail line to Melton Mowbray etc (now a road bridge). South of Edwalton, the line was used as the research track for the APT train.

Philae Nottingham 3 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Philae Nottingham 2 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Philae Nottingham 1 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Somewhere I have images of Philae in Lincoln - it may take a little time!

Rampart Owners

Visit site
Hi. I don't have many photos but I can round up a few. Somewhere I have an image of how she was after sold on from the guy in Lincoln - in a very poor state. Around about 2002/2003 she was being re-built in Boston. She had been replanked but there were a couple of serious issues to resolve with the keel and keelson aft. I wasn't sure if the work would be completed. Somewhere I have some images of Philae in Lincoln, just up the canal from Braybrook Pool. She was ok then but not that smart. I am not sure when that was; the 70s or 80s I guess. In Dad's ownership she had a petrol Commodore - could be the original one but she was in excellent condition - gleaming. max revs were 2k. There was a 8 or 10 hp Stuart Turner with a wing installation at that time. There was a petrol generator - not the quitest!

It will take some time to find and assemble the photos. Would you like to PM me an email address to send all the material?
That would be fantastic. I’m a newbie to this YBW.com so still learning how to navigate it… and how to PM someone. Doesn’t seem to like me putting our club email address in public posts… ?

tillergirl

Visit site
There is some sort of rules about using the forum enough before you can post images or send PMs. Not many but more than 4 posts! I can't PM you yet myself but if you add some more posts you will accrue what you need to accrue!

I don't have any internal images but I recall the saloon was fine; two long berths with a central table and two cupboards each side forward of the saloon. The woodwork was 'cabinet' quality built. To port ahead of the saloon had a heads with a Blakes toilet and china sink with a tap with a built in pump. Lead pipe. To starboard was a small galley. In the fore cabin there were two bunks port side. She cruised at 7-8kts, peaked at 9kts. I recall that said but we had no log, only an echo sounder. The engine was lovely - a smooth 6 cyl petrol which purred. The Stuart did occasionally start, I think.

Philae was at Brightlingsea when Dad bought the boat. He had no experience at that time so he had a professional to bring her up to Boston. On the passage, Philae arrived at the Wash in a F8. The fuel tanks were getting lowish and with the roll the engine kept stopping. The Stuart was started and also suffered from fuel starving. She was then towed by a passing Dutch coaster who brought her back to Great Yarmouth and submitted a £7000 salvage claim! £7k in those days was a lot! I think the insurers settled for a few hundred.

A different professional brought her up to Boston and told my father that Philae was a great boat. My first trip on her was from Boston to Braybrook Pool at Lincoln. Getting under the bridge/house at Lincoln was a concern but was no problem in the event. Braybrook Pool? Ugh. We tied up on the main quay which was a railway coal yard . Need I add.

We had some good trips on her; I remember one up to the River Soar which was magical.