Raising the throttle control

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
Hi All
A winter job that I am considering is moving the throttle control on our yacht.
1600193840015.png
At the moment it is quite close to the ground and we have to stoop down to adjust and sometimes a stray foot will cause problems. I would like this in a position where it can be reached while standing up next to the tiler. These are the controls.
1600193940194.png
So 2 cables, my first question is this a standard layout and will it fit most throttle control assemblies, also what throttle control would you suggest?

pvb

Visit site
Standard stuff, one cable controls the throttle, the other cable controls the gearchange. There are loads to choose from; just choose something you think will look right and be practical for your needs. Depending on how far you need to reposition it, you may need to buy longer cables.

Norman_E

Visit site
You first have to work out where to put it without making any sharp bends in the cables. Its actually quite likely that putting the control elsewhere will need longer cables, but the existing control could still be used. There is a reason that many boats have them low down, and its because the the cables can be routed with fewer and gentler bends. I considered moving mine higher but gave up the idea due to cable routing problems.

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
Very useful replies, many thanks. I will now look around and decide how to route the cables. I am sure longer cables will be required and the routing is a big consideration.
Cheers
Kev

scottie

Visit site
The morse MI control in the photo does not look quite right it may just be the angle but the back plate appears bent and may not be the original it is also likely to be from last century so if you are changing it’s position then replacing it may well be prudent
It would also appear that the cable ties have been added to solve a problem of alignment more photos would help

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
The morse MI control in the photo does not look quite right it may just be the angle but the back plate appears bent and may not be the original it is also likely to be from last century so if you are changing it’s position then replacing it may well be prudent
It would also appear that the cable ties have been added to solve a problem of alignment more photos would help
You are correct about the cable ties, I put them on to stop the cable from popping out. I will get some more photos at the weekend
You'll want to use some glass cloth as well as resin.

This is the GRP repair bible: https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/Fiberglass-Manual-2015.pdf

Just a thought, if there's nothing wrong with the existing lever, why not just move it? You'll probably need new cables, but chances are you'll need them anyway
Thanks for the link. I did think about moving the lever but it looks old and tired so leaning towards a new one