raising of the mainsail

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
The drawback with the fixed or sliding eyes either under or on the side of the boom is that the reef line then puts a twisting load into the boom - and thence into the the gooseneck. All designed in and allowed for, but to tie the loop around the boom gets rid of the problem.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
The drawback with the fixed or sliding eyes either under or on the side of the boom is that the reef line then puts a twisting load into the boom - and thence into the the gooseneck. All designed in and allowed for, but to tie the loop around the boom gets rid of the problem.
if the reefing line comes out of one side of the boom, up to the cringle and through, then down the other side of the sail and past the other side of the boom to the eye underneath, would that still twist the boom?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
if the reefing line comes out of one side of the boom, up to the cringle and through, then down the other side of the sail and past the other side of the boom to the eye underneath, would that still twist the boom?

Nope, that'd be fine. There are loads of variations on twist avoidance, one favourite was a tube for each reef between the top and bottom of a boom made from folded aluminium alloy sheet sharing the stress between top and bottom surfaces because a loop would have crushed it. Each line went down through ifrom the sail and had a stopper knot tied. Disadvantages of both though are that the sail has to be perfectly matched, whereas the boom end exit and loop around gives most flexibility.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Until I see the boat again on Saturday, i am working from sketchy memory, but i definitely remember a pair of pad eyes on a sliding track underneath the boom, and they could well line up with the reef cringles. I presumed the innermost was for the mainsheet, but they could be anchor points for the end of each reefing line. I may be mistaken in where the the reefing lines leave the boom for the cringles, it could be at the aft end. i distinctly remember them coming out of slots on the side of the boom, but that could be where they head into the clamcleats for hauling.
Could it be that the lines leave the boom aft, go up to the cringles, down and tie off at the pad eyes under the boom?
That's correct, see my post #7.
I might add that the mainsheet should, normally, attach to the rearmost eye, it does on mine, the eye being fixed in position. The other eyes, for the reefing lines are moveable, and should be moved to positions where they are a few inches aft of the corresponding cringle in the sail, when the reef is pulled down.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
This is in reply to Topcat47's post#40
My boat is 30ft and has the padeyes. The Glenans 5.70 boats (19ft LOA) which I used to sail on when a member of that organisation were similarly rigged.
It may be relevant that my boat and the Glenans 5.70s are all of French construction, the spars being of Z-Spars brand.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest