Rain deflectors (guards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have seen port lights that open outward, its not that unusual. They are invariably, or the ones I have seen, in protected locations - the ones I recall were in the cockpit to allow communication with those in an aft berths.

Jonathan

There are often exceptions to the norm, usually for special circumstances, such as that which you describe, but the simple fact is, that the vast majority of portlights open internally.

prv

Visit site
The Hanse we chartered last week had outward-opening portlights. The side decks were wide enough that they didn’t really interfere with walking, but they were well placed to have been ripped off by a jib-sheet if open while sailing.

Pete

Sandy

Visit site
Interestingly hatches open outward port port lights inward - seems a contradiction somewhere. Our hatches can be locked just ajar, so allowing water ingress if forgotten

Mind you I'm paranoiac about hatches, because of the consequences, and I double check and then check again. salt water soaked bedding - never recovers.
Fire doors open outwards - no contradiction.

I had crew forget to close the forepeak hatch the other week. He was not a happy chap when he discovered it. Thankfully, we were in port and the laundry was not to far away. It is easy to do.

Robin

Visit site
On our current mobo a Birchwood TS37 there are 5 portlights that open outwards but not onto a deck area only onto a downward angled part of the upper hull just below the side deck. These can allow rain in but 'eyebrow ' deflectors would not work unless they were very deep. we keep 3 permanently closed on pain of getting yelled at and watch the galley area one carefully in rain, the heads/shower one can do little damage if rain drips in. our main cabin side windows are sliders and eyebrows would need to be over metre long to cover the opening part some kind of guttering might work but hey if it rains we just shut them.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
The Hanse we chartered last week had outward-opening portlights. The side decks were wide enough that they didn’t really interfere with walking, but they were well placed to have been ripped off by a jib-sheet if open while sailing.

Pete

Good comment.

I have 900mm stanchions so I hope I won't be so preoccupied walking along the deck that I can't avoid skinning my shins on the rain deflectors. As far as the jib sheets are concerned I'll have to wait and see. (But it wouldn't be a big deal making up new ones to a different design if necessary)

coopec

N/A
Visit site
So it appears this comment was totally uncalled for and wrong.

Jonathan

Jonathan
I wouldn't argue with some of the mentally challenged people posting here.
(We used to have village idiots but now with internet forums they have gone global) ?

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
Well I put my rain diverters to test last night. I left five portholes opened last night (knowing it was going to rain) We had 25mm (1 inch) of rain (accompanied by strong wind) and not a drop of rain inside the yacht :D

AND looking from the inside out through the porthole you barely notice them!

View attachment 122575

View attachment 122576
Rain deflectors have pros and cons.
They keep the rain out at anchor particularly well. That's a clear benefit. The drawback is they reduce the amount of ventilation you can achieve when its really hot.
We are fortunate that our portlights are on the vertical hull sides. We don't get much in the way of rain entering the open portlights unless we are in tropical downpour type of rainfall and strong gusty winds. We find that wind scoops on our portlights direct air below. This is particularly useful in the galley area when cooking. In rain we can simply spin the scoops around from inside the boat so the scoops then become air extract scoops. This stops rain coming in. Very useful when cooking in a hot boat in the rain.

Neeves

Visit site
Paul,

A number of people have suggested that outward opening port lights are not unusual. Accept it

Now I would agree that possibly some people think Hanse are an aberration (and maybe you have not heard of Hanse, nor had access to their yachts) - but if they have outward opening port lights then your childish post with a number you simply cannot support is, basically needling - and in my book totally unnecessary.

You make a major positive contribution on electronics - stick to your strengths (and you will have all my respect). But be careful of the distinction between subliminal advertising of a commercial enterprise and a post here (but you know all about forum rules).

Coopec is PBO in real life - if you have an issue with people rebuilding a yacht - go somewhere else. Its not easy, it takes time, it takes dedication, imagination and some money. What it needs is encouragement - not negativity and needling. I don't have those skills nor patience and I have a finite life span - I want to sail, I want independence, freedom from bureaucracy - but others have diffident driving focus - which I respect .

I find Coopec's posts educational - we solved our port light issue a different way - I can sympathise with his solution. I found Roger Shaw's post educational - but sadly (as another example of what PBO is about) he - disappeared - to me - our loss.

I would hate to see Coopec disappear - unless he has launched - and the he might appear on Scuttlebutt.

If you have technical point to make - fine - but you have erred - outward opening port lights are not unusual.

Now I have had internet issues over the last few days involving significant input from Telstra (sort of like BT) but 2 hours last night and our National Broadband Network (4 hours on site so far on Wednesday) - so I may fall off the current world. See you when I come back :)

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Rain deflectors have pros and cons.
They keep the rain out at anchor particularly well. That's a clear benefit. The drawback is they reduce the amount of ventilation you can achieve when its really hot.
We are fortunate that our portlights are on the vertical hull sides. We don't get much in the way of rain entering the open portlights unless we are in tropical downpour type of rainfall and strong gusty winds. We find that wind scoops on our portlights direct air below. This is particularly useful in the galley area when cooking. In rain we can simply spin the scoops around from inside the boat so the scoops then become air extract scoops. This stops rain coming in. Very useful when cooking in a hot boat in the rain.

Totally agree.

We installed port lights on the, near, vertical and forward facing moulding of our bridge deck to increase air flow to the berths, and galley. We then found that the water running down the bridge deck from rain - ran straight over the bedlinen. We needed to arrange water flow diverters )of which I don't have an pictures handy - wait...... They are 'sort of' airflow scoops - in a more simple form.

We don't need extract scoops - our cockpit, with soldi roof with patio doors is a massive extractor scoop

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul,

A number of people have suggested that outward opening port lights are not unusual. Accept it

One or two people have posted about externally opening portlights, that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority open inwards.

Copec asked "Why on earth a manufacturer would make a window opening inwards baffles me. "

I replied "Portlights (no windows on a boat) should open inwards, or you end up tripping over them when walking along the side decks, or green water rips them off. "

As usual, Coopec wants to start an argument, searches the internet desperate to find someone who has externally opening portlights.

Now I would agree that possibly some people think Hanse are an aberration (and maybe you have not heard of Hanse, nor had access to their yachts) - but if they have outward opening port lights then your childish post with a number you simply cannot support is, basically needling - and in my book totally unnecessary.

I made no comments about Hanse, walking by several Hanse yachts most days i might have heard of them.

You make a major positive contribution on electronics - stick to your strengths (and you will have all my respect). But be careful of the distinction between subliminal advertising of a commercial enterprise and a post here (but you know all about forum rules).

Pretty certain i can post on any subject i choose and i'm definitely certain i don't care if i have your respect or not, who do you think you are ? I'm also well aware of the forum rules and the mods are well aware of my contributions. There are plenty of times when i spend hours helping someone sort electrical issues and i never, ever, ever, suggest they would be better off paying me to go and sort it out. You might want to point out the rules to your buddy Coopec,

"I wouldn't argue with some of the mentally challenged people posting here.
(We used to have village idiots but now with internet forums they have gone global) "

That certainly does not comply with the rules and if spotted by a mod will earn Coopec a word in his ear and some post deletions, not for the first time.

I would hate to see Coopec disappear - unless he has launched - and the he might appear on Scuttlebutt.

I don't care one way or another if he stays or go's, nothing to do with me, it's a free forum. Would be nice if he stopped starting arguments every five minutes though and stopped calling people "mentally challenged" or "village idiots".

Last edited:
Reactions: pvb

Neeves

Visit site
One or two people have posted about externally opening portlights, that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority open inwards.

Copec asked "Why on earth a manufacturer would make a window opening inwards baffles me. "

I replied "Portlights (no windows on a boat) should open inwards, or you end up tripping over them when walking along the side decks, or green water rips them off. "

As usual, Coopec wants to start an argument, searches the internet desperate to find someone who has externally opening portlights.

Coopec did not search the internet to find people who had outward opening port lights - they provided the information voluntarily. The fact that one of the biggest manufacturers of sailing yachts, namely Hanse, has outward opening port lights does not support your statement 'the vast majority' - maybe the majority but 'vast' I think not.

Why do I think you are wanting to start an argument :)

Accept that you are wrong and you were needling Coopec - and then lay off.

Stick to what you know, which is in depth knowledge on electronics, and not imaginary figures on the numbers of pleasure vessels, large enough to have windows (or port lights) - its childish and detracts from your credibility.

I might pick a fight with you on 'no windows' - what do you call those huge see through things on a Lagoon cat - to me a port light is a small 'thing'. They are not hatches, on the Lagoon - as some of them do not open. - they are not my idea of port lights - to me they look like ...... well .... windows. Now I am sure you will say that a Lagoon cat is an extreme example - how about the Deck Saloon Moody - call their see through things - port lights? Now I'm sure there is a technical term - and I'm happy to be educated.

To me the PBO part of the forum is about education - I'm young enough to still welcome knowledge - so over to you.

Jonathan[

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Coopec did not search the internet to find people who had outward opening port lights - they provided the information voluntarily. The fact that one of the biggest manufacturers of sailing yachts, namely Hanse, has outward opening port lights does not support your statement 'the vast majority' - maybe the majority but 'vast' I think not.

Why do I think you are wanting to start an argument :)

Accept that you are wrong and you were needling Coopec - and then lay off.

See post #12

Coopec asked a question, i answered it.

Stick to what you know, which is in depth knowledge on electronics, and not imaginary figures on the numbers of pleasure vessels, large enough to have windows (or port lights) - its childish and detracts from your credibility.

Also covered in post #34

"Pretty certain i can post on any subject i choose"

If you think my comment to Coopec breaks a forum rule, report it to the mods, otherwise, away with you, none of your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.