Rain deflectors (guards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Well I put my rain diverters to test last night. I left five portholes opened last night (knowing it was going to rain) We had 25mm (1 inch) of rain (accompanied by strong wind) and not a drop of rain inside the yacht :D

AND looking from the inside out through the porthole you barely notice them!

imgonline-com-ua-resize-nST9VndV9bOzNw.jpg

_IGP7370 cropped.jpg

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-resize-xIQBhOuLTZe.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-resize-xIQBhOuLTZe.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear the results of a season's shin scraping, asks man who is constantly scraping his shins on the companionway steps.

Building the yacht I'm all the time bruising myself or cutting myself but I never notice it until I shower then I wonder how I did it. If it worried me I wouldn't be building the yacht and I would be riding my bike everyday. ?

Neeves

Visit site
They look pretty good to me - I might bevel the edges, round them - there will be a technical term for this (bull nosing?). I'd also suggest you assume they are rain covers and that all port lights are closed at sea - a big green one will swamp the upholstery. Its not a 'been there, done that moment' but has happened to others )we make other mistakes :). )

Jonathan

coopec

N/A
Visit site
They look pretty good to me - I might bevel the edges, round them - there will be a technical term for this (bull nosing?). I'd also suggest you assume they are rain covers and that all port lights are closed at sea - a big green one will swamp the upholstery. Its not a 'been there, done that moment' but has happened to others )we make other mistakes :). )

Jonathan

Maybe something like this?

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 17-45-34 clear plastic U trim 5mm - Google Search.png

Tranona

Visit site
Very useful in hot wet climates but rarely seen in northern temperate climates because rain often means cold so leaving windows open when it is pouring with rain is not so common. Biggest problem with windows here is leaks because of the long periods of light rain and general dampness each year.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Very useful in hot wet climates but rarely seen in northern temperate climates because rain often means cold so leaving windows open when it is pouring with rain is not so common. Biggest problem with windows here is leaks because of the long periods of light rain and general dampness each year.

Yes, from comments on these forums it is apparent that leaking windows is a common problem.
Why on earth a manufacturer would make a window opening inwards baffles me.

I've just picked up the last of $3500 worth of upholstered mattresses/cushions and I didn't want to get them wet and mildewy. But now I believe I've solved the problem. ?

Neeves

Visit site
Maybe something like this?

View attachment 122592

The very job - I was thinking of slitting hosepipe and thought you would reject that out of hand! - I was right.

I don't know what the ideal will be - but I am sure you will find it :)

You can source plastic moulding for seam free shower screens with little extended flexible flaps - they may reduce the knocked shin issue as the little plastic flap thing would reduces the bashing of shin on the edges/corners. There may be better answers than a simple 'U' moulding.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Wot Paul says. Almost universal so everybody seems to have it wrong - or right!
Interestingly hatches open outward port port lights inward - seems a contradiction somewhere. Our hatches can be locked just ajar, so allowing water ingress if forgotten

Mind you I'm paranoiac about hatches, because of the consequences, and I double check and then check again. salt water soaked bedding - never recovers.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Interestingly hatches open outward port port lights inward - seems a contradiction somewhere. Our hatches can be locked just ajar, so allowing water ingress if forgotten

Mind you I'm paranoiac about hatches, because of the consequences, and I double check and then check again. salt water soaked bedding - never recovers.

If you leave a hatch open a few inches and step on it by accident, it closes. If it opened inwards.........................

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Did a little research and one guy said "My windows :oops: portlights open outward and I've got the scars to prove it!"?

If you keep looking for long enough, perhaps you can find a second person. Meantime the other 596879846879846874465469849848649 boats on the planet have portlights that open inwards.

Robin

Visit site
I did consider that. I guess that goes for the ones you buy too but people that have fitted them swear by them

View attachment 122578
We fitted the ones above to our then benny 36CC in the USA, excellent other than the idiot installer (me) had not checked if side deck locker lids would clear them to open fully. A new Dremel kit purchased with a tile cutting side cutting drill bit did the job however by removing a minimum of deflector.:cool:

Neeves

Visit site
If you keep looking for long enough, perhaps you can find a second person. Meantime the other 596879846879846874465469849848649 boats on the planet have portlights that open inwards.

I have seen port lights that open outward, its not that unusual. They are invariably, or the ones I have seen, in protected locations - the ones I recall were in the cockpit to allow communication with those in an aft berths.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.