Radio checks why oh why

lustyd

Visit site
I certainly would if my car had been laid up for 6 months, or if it had just had new tires installed.

ip485

Visit site
I also fail to understand the obsession.

On the other hand, even in the solent, the frequency is rarely so busy that it seems to me to cause a problem.

Therefore for those that feel the need, perahps little harm is done, and maybe we should be less obsessed with people feeling obsessed.

Of course radios do fail to transmitt as well. In the aviation world, in a sense it is done 100% of the time (OK there might be the odd exception leaving a grass strip with no allocated frequency or SafetyCom) when pilots make an initial call which also serves the purpose of a radio check. At least once a day and usually more for one reason or another someone will be carrier wave only or unheard. If ATC can cope I guess so can the sailing fraternity.

Black Sheep

Visit site
And while we're at it, why do Forum members persist in contributing to all those threads started to complain about people calling on Ch.16 for radio checks? ;)
What really drives me crazy is all those people who keep moaning about those who persist in contributing to threads complaining about people calling for Radio Checks on Ch 16.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
And while we're at it, why do Forum members persist in contributing to all those threads started to complain about people calling on Ch.16 for radio checks? ;)
Is it a British thing? After decades afloat, I have not once heard foreign yachtsmen undertaking these bizarre ( and totally pointless) calls to inform all and sundry that they find radio checks irritating.

girlofwight

Visit site
Most seasons, I do one at the start of the season, on 67, stressing it’s a pre season re-commissionimg check. Invariably an evening when I’m having a tinker around onboard with the ore season job list.

”Solent Coastguard, this is Whatever, just recommissioning for the new season, can you let me know signal strength and quality please?”

The reply is always polite.

I could imagine the constant stream on 16 is irritating in the summer, but I rest smugly on my 67 once a year off peak!

I can only recall one other time of doing a test, I can‘t remember the detail, but I was not able to raise a marina on 80 whilst I was in it, and something made me doubt my set rather than the marinas watch.

Adios

Visit site
SOLENT COASTGUARD SOLENT COASTGUARD SOLENT COASTGUARD THIS IS YACHT POMPOUS WINDBAG YACHT POMPOUS WINDBAG YACHT POMPOUS WINDBAG RADIO CHECK PLEASE OVER.

I swear I hear the same fellow every Saturday morning.
Pompous windbag is probably spot on. I think its nothing to do with checking their radio works, more to do with announcing that they are little captains out on their yacht to the other people they expect will be monitoring channel 16, friends and club members. Its all a bit trying too hard. "see how properly we are doing things and how like a professional ships captain we sound."

Adios

Visit site
BTW since there's apparently no direction finding equipment now there is really no risk of comeback if you feel like interjecting next time there has been a spate of them: "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU STOP DOING BLOODY RADIO CHECKS ON CHANNEL 16 YOU POMPOUS WINDBAGS" CG might not publicly thank you but I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

William_H

Visit site
Our local Coast Guard in west Oz have a working channel 73. All calls should be made to this channel leaving ch16 for any emergency. If you call on ch 16 for any reason other than emergency they will let you know quickly to go to working channel. Surely something similar in UK? ol'will

Daydream believer

Visit site
BTW since there's apparently no direction finding equipment now there is really no risk of comeback if you feel like interjecting next time there has been a spate of them: "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU STOP DOING BLOODY RADIO CHECKS ON CHANNEL 16 YOU POMPOUS WINDBAGS" CG might not publicly thank you but I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
And someone will reply - " you are good & readable on channel 16 from all our Solent aerials"

Last edited:

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Exactly.... just click on the coasties number takes less than 10 seconds. That's if people know how to work a DSC radio of course
Since there was talk some years ago of closing down Milford Haven CG station under Gov cutbacks, I've always felt that helping them fill their call logs with routine traffic about leisure cruising and passage planning in a very busy petrochemical port helps them to justify their existence. Never radio checks though, I get that confirmed every time I go through the harbour lock gates.

jwilson

Visit site
Radio checks are OCCASIONALLY necessary. Certainly not every Sunday morning as seems to be common.

I did a series of radio checks a week ago: the first in several years, as my handheld was failing to get through to the club launch on Ch 37. It would get the CG on both 16 and 67, and the local marina on 80, all at 1 watt. No TX strength on 37 though it was receiving other people on this channel. It would get through on 37 if used on high 6w power with the launch alongside, similarly being received on my own fixed VHF at the chart table 15 feet away.

I now have a new handheld - have not done a radio check on it as it is now working as it should both to club lanch (37) and water taxi (12) on 1 watt.