Radar or VHF Assisted Collisions

Refueler

Visit site
In middle of sea no other reference points, take a bearing of the ship heading for you. (If it is sufficiently far away not to panic yet, leave a few minutes (just enough to make a cup of tea) then take another bearing. If the bearing is the same then you are on a collision course. If i's a big ship and some way away keep going for another 5 minute or so then repeat bearing and if still on same bearing then decide what you will do about it before either of you start to worry. Take further bearings and when you decide he's not going to alter take major alteration yourself but make sure you keep a really close eye now as he might have been altering for you and the change wasn't noticeable by you.

If near enough the coast to pick out features behind other boat see if a feature remains in line with them. If it does, you are on collision course, if he moves ahead of it, he'll go in front of you if the object moves ahead of the boat he will go behind you. This method doesn't indicate by how much if the change is very slow.

Think Laika was asking Little Grebe how HE plotted etc. .... as a question based on LG not using his compass.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Obviously doesn't ... like most probably a GPS Junkie ! (I do not mean that in any rude way ... its true that many today look at a GPS screen and sail on ... ).

I'd suggest that once done a couple of time a sailing trip from (say) Portsmouth to Yarmouth in normal visibility doesn't really need any GPS assistance.
Similarly a trip from the Orwell to Burnham on Crouch is as much about buoy hopping as anything else

Refueler

Visit site
I'd suggest that once done a couple of time a sailing trip from (say) Portsmouth to Yarmouth in normal visibility doesn't really need any GPS assistance.
Similarly a trip from the Orwell to Burnham on Crouch is as much about buoy hopping as anything else

Fine ... I was hoping that my comment stating I was not trying to be rude was sufficient ...

As a person who sailed Solent on yachts for approx 40years ... I too did not need GPS or even compass to get to any of the havens there ... but I still used them actually .... a) to know when I could get to the pub at the destination .. b) practice !!

Now based in Baltic ... if I cruise - then I do need both as its approx 90nm to Gotland ... then another 90nm to Swedish archipelago

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
My father an aeronautical engineer explained radar assisted collisions to me about 55 years ago. It is simply the confusion of radar screen image with the outer world. The radar screen shows an object ahead on safe no-collision path so you relax. However the object you should be worrying about is something else. In case of that generation of planes it could be the ground because you are flying too low. For boats it could be a relatively non reflective object ahead of you or something you have got in the way of.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Classically a radar assisted collision occurs when two vessels are aware of each other on radar but not visually and, owing to faulty plotting or no plotting, they alter course into each other when, had they not altered course, they would have passed clear.

The most notorious radar assisted collision was that between the Stockholm and the Andrea Doria.

This is a very good professional analysis of the incident:

http://www.titanicology.com/AndreaDoria/Stockholm-Andrea_Doria_Collision_Analysis.pdf

Refueler

Visit site
RAC (Radar Assisted Collisions) as it was nicknamed was generally where early operators were confused by RELATIVE and TRUE MOTION on the screens.

Early days screens were relatively small and little actual plotting was done ... with small screens it was common for ship to have a large pad of plotting sheets ...
As time and radar gear moved on ... the screens got larger and it was then possible to use chinagraph pencil and ruler ... often a broken Decca rule ! to plot direct on the glass screen - this went a long way to improve things.

Things were going along well ... RAC events were only matters of conversation after a while ... training was improving and plotting became common place ........................

Then along comes dear old Kelvin Hughes and a radar that was daylight viewable - called Situation Display ... but based only on True Motion ... the radar screen was a small 5" job down in the bowels of the casing ... it then had a TV camera over the top feeding TV based image to a screen for the operator ... about 25" or so .... The targets left a series of dots that joined up into a 'trace' ... the trace stayed for a reasonable time ... before fading out.
I was on a couple of ships that were test-beds for it ... but anyway - it was quite widely sold ...
Its problem was True Track and that 'trace' ... so many operators confused that trace with Relative Motion plot ...

It did not last long before the model was withdrawn and replaced with a more conventionally based design that then led onto the Collision avoidance systems along with many other manufacturers.

awol

Visit site
If near enough the coast to pick out features behind other boat see if a feature remains in line with them. If it does, you are on collision course, if he moves ahead of it, he'll go in front of you if the object moves ahead of the boat he will go behind you. This method doesn't indicate by how much if the change is very slow.
I've heard this before - it's mince! If you are moving other than directly towards or away from a land feature its bearing will change, the bearing of a boat on a collision course doesn't.

Refueler

Visit site
I've heard this before - it's mince! If you are moving other than directly towards or away from a land feature its bearing will change, the bearing of a boat on a collision course doesn't.

Glad you picked that one up before me ....

The reference for bearing in such a situation HAS to be on the boat you are standing on ... not some distant 3rd party object ...

Even the old suggestion of using a stay or other point on your boat falls apart unless you maintain a steady course .. its why you use a Compass .. so that the heading of you boat makes no difference (deviation accepted of course) ....

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Glad you picked that one up before me ....

The reference for bearing in such a situation HAS to be on the boat you are standing on ... not some distant 3rd party object ...

Even the old suggestion of using a stay or other point on your boat falls apart unless you maintain a steady course .. its why you use a Compass .. so that the heading of you boat makes no difference (deviation accepted of course) ....
Unless you haven't got a compass.