Racing on Blade

Triassic

Visit site
Appreciate it is probably only club racing but was there a tactical edit when that day sailor tacked right across your bows at the start...? (3.20 in) Not sure we would have got away with someone doing that in front of us! :D

blade

Visit site
Certainly not a tactical edit, not sure why the person filming stopped at that point. I had a Gopro attached to the bimini frame which was running the whole time so captured all of the start, there were a few choice words shouted at the crew of the other boat. Fortunately they don't usually participate in the local regattas, the boats are Toms 28's owned by Calpe Yacht Club and it is only for the Calpe regatta that they are allowed to participate. It was a crazy move by the Tom, if you look carefully they don't appear to look behind to check it is clear to tack, we had to take slight avoiding action, didn't bother with a protest as they are not in our group.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Interesting little incident there. I assume that was the start line. So the day boat comes in downwind somewhat on a dive in at speed strategy, it hardens up then squeezes in just behind ICE and almost runs into its transom. Ok I guess except the black sails yacht to port maybe wanted to be closer to the wind than it was, but politely let the day boat in and did not luff it up or call No Room. The day boat then lost all power as they were sat in dirty wind from ICE. Maybe without looking and losing steerage they tacked, whoops. Had the helm looked around then they would stayed on starboard almost in irons waiting for clear air, then Blade would have had to overtake them, probably on their port side, to sail around the outside of them. But only if room because At the same time Blade has another yacht very close downwind, so they shout across for space to bear away, or god forbid crash tack almost back the way they came to avoid the Committee Vessel. Could have been much worse.

blade

Visit site
Interesting little incident there. I assume that was the start line. So the day boat comes in downwind somewhat on a dive in at speed strategy, it hardens up then squeezes in just behind ICE and almost runs into its transom. Ok I guess except the black sails yacht to port maybe wanted to be closer to the wind than it was, but politely let the day boat in and did not luff it up or call No Room. The day boat then lost all power as they were sat in dirty wind from ICE. Maybe without looking and losing steerage they tacked, whoops. Had the helm looked around then they would stayed on starboard almost in irons waiting for clear air, then Blade would have had to overtake them, probably on their port side, to sail around the outside of them. But only if room because At the same time Blade has another yacht very close downwind, so they shout across for space to bear away, or god forbid crash tack almost back the way they came to avoid the Committee Vessel. Could have been much worse.

Having just checked the GoPro footage we had room to tack if the day boat had not tacked.