Quiz question for Tuesday

DWT

Visit site
Between Mapledurham and Whitchurch lock on the right hand side heading upstream. They breed Alpacas there. A very pleasant spot to moor overnight.

If you walk up the track between the fields to the lane you reach the Boze Down vineyard. It used to have a shop where you could taste their wine, but it seems it is closed now.

Chris_d

Visit site
Here's a good one for you then Steve, where is the only place you can bypass a lock in a small powered launch, no weir, all legal and navigable to v small crusier or tenders?
Did it many years ago but had to stop twice to clear weed from the prop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Pure guess - Northmoor.
If it's not then give me some time! Is it the lock where if you are going north of Oxford you moor up on the right before the lock and there is a cut to the left and you can see the road bridge. On the left hand side of the cut is a private landing stage with steps.

See in your bio you like bacardi. Must share one one day!

DWT

Visit site
Steve

David Sherrif sold T&K to Tingdene a couple of years ago. I undertsand that he still owns some of the land around the marina and I see him there from time to time.

Hirdsp

Visit site
2nd the Alpaca place. was talking to the owner who takes the £4 mooring fee. She has 600 of them, most costing over £6k each. They had a small field of Llamas too. They are excellent for protecting sheep, as if a fox gets in the feild they turn nasty. They were quite happy to come to the fence. The funny thing is, when they send out a warning call they make a snigger noise like "Muttley"!

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She has 600 of them, most costing over £6k each. They had a small field of Llamas too. They are excellent for protecting sheep, as if a fox gets in the feild they turn nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also I have reason to believe they will only sell you them in two non-breeding pairs. So you are in fact looking at £12k or there-abouts. I did toy with the idea of having two myself because I am severely troubled by marauding foxes.

Chris_d

Visit site
Ahh.. but there is still a weir at the lock end, this one has no weir so its down hill all the way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll give you to lunchtime.

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes you got it, St Patricks Stream its the only backwater with no weir, the stream speeds up as you go along. The entrance is between 2 houses just upstream of the Islands above Shiplake lock, if you moor on the islands its a nice evening trip in the tender, go past all the nice houses back gardens in Shiplake, well worth the effort. Back in the 80's there was a rally to exercise the right of navigation, about 12 small cruisers (Shetland types) made it round.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you got it, St Patricks Stream its the only backwater with no weir, the stream speeds up as you go along. The entrance is between 2 houses just upstream of the Islands above Shiplake lock, if you moor on the islands its a nice evening trip in the tender, go past all the nice houses back gardens in Shiplake, well worth the effort. Back in the 80's there was a rally to exercise the right of navigation, about 12 small cruisers (Shetland types) made it round.

[/ QUOTE ]
fascinating! I never knew that, I know the stream referred to but wasn't aware that it could take craft as big as a Shetland (535 I assume).

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes I think there was a few Dolphins as well, remember those old front steered things, the bridge at the entrance is the only restiction at about 7ft clearance.

We did it in an old inboard Stuart turner powered launch, bit if a pain to clear the prop, needed a long arm but made it no problem. We used to keep that boat at Bushnells for Henley week, the other interesting backwater is the one that starts behind Val Wyats, you go under their low road bridge and come out on the reach just above Marsh lock, we used to beat the crusiers going the long way round by about 200yds, you could see the confusion on their faces when you were ahead at the lock and they had't seen you overtake.