Question regarding caretaking plz

CDB

Visit site
Hello, just a query, I’m on a 80ft Bertram that I cheffed this last season in Alaska (docked up in Seward now) Captain owns it asked I wanted watch her over the winter, of course, lI do, it’s been a couple months now, and it’s been a darn good thing somebody was here a few times. I living on her and taking care of things… just curious if caretaking gets a little pocket money, I know every situation is different but is there a norm or rule of thump so to speak? Thanks

PlanB

Visit site
No formal rules for this sort of situation.
Presumably you're getting free accommodation.
But if you are doing significant jobs around the boat a bit of reward would be nice.

srm

Visit site
There is a local business here that will look after boats that the owners have left for the winter. They charge per visit having agreed what work the owner requires and how frequently. They also act as agents for taxes/fees. Do not know their rates.

lusitano

Visit site
Hello, just a query, I’m on a 80ft Bertram that I cheffed this last season in Alaska (docked up in Seward now) Captain owns it asked I wanted watch her over the winter, of course, lI do, it’s been a couple months now, and it’s been a darn good thing somebody was here a few times. I living on her and taking care of things… just curious if caretaking gets a little pocket money, I know every situation is different but is there a norm or rule of thump so to speak? Thanks

Commonly known as "Gardienage" and generally attracts a fee, but if you,re living aboard that obviously has a value too.

What is Gardienage and who is it for? - The Islander