Quantock Marine Enterprises wooden device

Urbain UREEL

urbiehome.be
Hi,
we are restoring a 1947 built Watson lifeboat (previously owned by the Belgian Government) and found some objects which we cannot identify.
One of them is a wooden square with Quantock Marine Services- Somerset marked on it.
Is it a wind vane of some sort? But what is it doing on a motor lifeboat like this Watson?
I attach a picture of it.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Greetings,

Urbain

Attachments

• DSCF4132.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 57

Nom de plume

Visit site
QME did indeed make wind vanes and they often sat on the top of existing tillers (rudder stocks) - is your Watson rudder stock machined in any way to take this part?

Urbain UREEL

urbiehome.be
Thank you for your reply. I have to check the rudder stock, it is stored safely away as we dismantle the 73 year old lady very carefully in order to make her "waterproof" or shipshape again!
Much appreciated.

doug748

Visit site
As above, that frame is part of a QME self steering gear. It was a very basic design; there should be a pulley for control lines, vane, lead weights and a few other bits and pieces.
It may well have been put on board as one of those things that might "come in handy".

Nom de plume

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I have to check the rudder stock, it is stored safely away as we dismantle the 73 year old lady very carefully in order to make her "waterproof" or shipshape again!
Much appreciated.

No problem, good luck, our Watson is 91 years old this year!

Urbain UREEL

urbiehome.be
No problem, good luck, our Watson is 91 years old this year!
Waw, great! Listen I am just helping people out who actually do the restoration. The boat in Nieuwpoort is owned by the City Council now, the one in Ostend by an organization receiving subsidies from the government.
There were 3 Watsons in Belgium. One is being restored in Ostend and one in Nieuwpoort. The Zeebrugge boat is also in Nieuwpoort but a total wreck and used for some spare parts.
Does your Watson have FERRY engines?
My father worked on the Ostend lifeboats a motorman between 1966 and 1978 and is recently very popular amongst the restorators, because he still knows some tricks and details of these magnificent diesel engines.

Tranona

Visit site
I had one fitted to my Eventide when I bought it in 1980, but never manged to get it to work properly. I was lucky enough to buy one of the very early Mini Seacourses which did work (after a fashion) and sold the QME for £25 at Maurice Bailey's secondhand emporium in Lymington.