Qualified good news for Studland - MMO Announcement today

oldharry

Visit site
MMO today announced their next step towards Management of the anchorage in the Studland MCZ:

"The results of the MMO’s draft assessment of the site indicated that anchoring, mooring, powerboating, sailing, diving and snorkelling required consideration for management. Following a review of the responses from the call for evidence, MMO concludethat anchoring will be the focus of engagement to discuss the most appropriate options. For the remaining activities, no further restrictions will be implemented at this stage "

Anchoring is of course the fundamental issue at Studland. A series of virtual Stakeholder meetings is planned for March to take this forward. The MMO bulletin gives no pointers what these 'appropriate options might be' but we know that it could include temporary or permanent no anchor zones in the Bay. A major question is of course how it would be policed and communicated to the general public, particualrly visitors arriving from further away, including the Continent, as well as the 'Birimgham navy contingent arriving by road with their boats in tow.

Concerto

Visit site
Looking like sense is taking place in MMO for those using the water close to Studland. The idea of controlling any anchorage is still mad and potentially dangerous for sailors. It sounds like considering the potential of forcing people out of anchorages towards paid for moorings, just like on street parking in most towns.

Sandy

Visit site
I wonder if they will stop "our friends from Poole" driving their high speed ribs along the beach.; that surely must scare the Seahorses. I wonder what the Seahorse Trust view is on that sort activity.

SaltyC

Visit site
Afraid I cynically read it differently to Old Harry

The MMO has reviewed all information received and are proposing the next steps for the management of Studland Bay MCZ:
  • For mooring, powerboating, sailing, diving and snorkelling, no further restrictions will be implemented at this stage.
  • For anchoring, management measures may be required to avoid negative impacts on the site. The MMO will be holding a series of stakeholder events in March 2021 to develop suitable management measures.
My cynical view is for 'May' read 'Will' after consultation to 'develop measures' then do what we / environmental tree / Sea Horse huggers want.

Recent Consultations from HMRC and MCA have been ignored and just followed there original impractical proposal.

oldharry

Visit site
Time will tell.... Also note 'no further restrictions will be implemented at this stage'

The problem is that some self styled 'expert' and there are rather a lot of these around, will 'prove' that something new is causing an issue which must be mitigated, and the only way is to ban the boats.... I'm afraid I dont hold out much hope for the longer term either for the freedom we have at present.

A cynical but fairly realistic view would be that in 20 = 30 years leisure boats in UK waters will be restricted to corridors linking up the marinas, with no freedom to roam., in case we u[pset some marine wriggly.....

dom

Visit site
I blame the BBC for all this.

...lights blue touch paper.....retreats.....

And it worked!
Perhaps Parliament should now light its touch paper and similarly retreat.
The trouble is the Beeb will protest a lot louder than BORG
:)

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I blame the BBC for all this.

...lights blue touch paper.....retreats.....
I agree.

Fundamental fact about the BBC: they hate, absolutely hate, ever admitting that they are wrong about anything. I think it's because their vast and top heavy management is dominated by people eager at a moment's notice to knife their rival, and a BBC staffer admitting to a mistake is like an antelope limping conspicuously in front of a herd of Serengeti lions. I was indirectly involved in an occasion in which the BBC Trust had to concede a significant error, and it was seriously career-limiting all the way down the chain.

Furthermore, the BBC is obsessed with the star system, and now that they have effectively anointed Chris Packham as the successor to David "Not dead yet" Attenborough they are not going to do anything to take the shine off him, like pointing out he has fallen for a smooth talking patter merchant. Also absolute belief in the first thing you're told about anything is an autistic characteristic, and autism is very "in" at the moment.

So yes, it's their fault and no, they won't admit they were wrong unless forced to at the point of a BBC Trust ruling.

oldharry

Visit site
Hilarious rant from NGM on his Seahorse Trust facebook page: Bearing in mind he is a one man outfiut, smaller even than BORG:

"If you have laws that are chosen or ignored due to the demand of a very small minority then you have anarchy, you do not have a legal system or a civilised society."

I couldnt agree more!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: