Q1 - water

Visit site
Larger tankage and a sea water tap in the galley. i think water makers are too expensive, too big and over complicated. I will also be looking at ways of catching rainwater.

JREdginton

Visit site
I am thinking of a small tank, backed up with a number of 5 or 10Ltr containers. Easy to manage supplies. Sea water for boiling the tatties, rice and dish washing.

From what I can see a water maker with a decent capacity is going to be too big or too juicy on power reserves though I am happy to be corrected. Oh, and just to friggin expensive!

JREdginton

Visit site
On a number of deliveries I have used neat sea water for tatties and rice to no ill effects, maybe me and the crews just like salty food, or maybe they just eat it 'cause it was there /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The cheapest extra water container is the 2 litre bottle of spring water sold by most supermarkets for less than 20 pence. They fit nicely anywhere in the boat and it is easy to keep check on your consumption. The only problem I have had is with ones from Saoinbury's which do not stand up to rolling around in the engine compartment and leaked. Others I bought from Tesco and ASDA handled rolling round and butting up against the engine fine.
After your crossing you can refill them from any tap and keep using them.