Putting "sneaker sail" into my favourite search engine ....

Plomong

Visit site
yields pages and pages of shoes, mostly sneakers or runners.

How can I exclude shoes, sneakers and runners from the results ???

And now we are here, what are the following sails, type, shape, usage, etc:
sneaker
gollywobbler
mule
lazy bones

What is the most popular US boating forum ??? Any others of repute ???

Plomong

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

sneaker
gollywobbler
mule
lazy bones

Plomong
Put "sail" in quotes. That'll force it to only report hits where the word "sail" is present.

Tranona

Visit site
Google will get you gollywobbler and mule. The former very common if you are an Alden fan as it is a quadrilateral sail hoisted at the top between two masts on a schooner to give more sail area in what is a normally a big gap - and schooners needed all the sail they could fly in light airs. Lots of nostalgic photos of them in the ocean races such as Bermuda in the 20s and 30s.

You have probably got the mule explanation on Sailing Anarchy.

Both of these are real ancient US offshore racing items which have little relevance now unless you are an owner of a 1920s- 1950s US offshore racer from Alden, S&S Rhodes etc.

Nothing on sneaker, and lazy bones comes up as as a rack for carrying your Laser mast and sail.

dgadee

Visit site
There is an advanced search page - Google Advanced Search

I grew up with boolean searching and still use OR, quotation marks, + and - to include or exclude terms. Some further options from Google here:

Refine web searches - Google Search Help

Edit: just noticed that + is not supposed to work in searching and has been discontinued. However, it does seem to work in practice.

Last edited:

Plomong

Visit site
Google will get you gollywobbler and mule. The former very common if you are an Alden fan as it is a quadrilateral sail hoisted at the top between two masts on a schooner to give more sail area in what is a normally a big gap - and schooners needed all the sail they could fly in light airs. Lots of nostalgic photos of them in the ocean races such as Bermuda in the 20s and 30s.

You have probably got the mule explanation on Sailing Anarchy.

Both of these are real ancient US offshore racing items which have little relevance now unless you are an owner of a 1920s- 1950s US offshore racer from Alden, S&S Rhodes etc.

Nothing on sneaker, and lazy bones comes up as as a rack for carrying your Laser mast and sail.

Thanks for the information. Got "gollywobbler" with slight change of spelling: 'i' instead of 'y'. Have not returned to "mule" yet.

Didn't think that a mere sail and mast rack could have a name !!! But then "it takes all sorts" as our host said one evening in 1956 when we visited Sumerset (Weston) when I was a lad still in short pants.

Plomong

Plomong

Visit site
There is an advanced search page - Google Advanced Search

I grew up with boolean searching and still use OR, quotation marks, + and - to include or exclude terms. Some further options from Google here:

Refine web searches - Google Search Help

Edit: just noticed that + is not supposed to work in searching and has been discontinued. However, it does seem to work in practice.

Useful training material, thanks. Must brush up my skills.

Plomong

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for the information. Got "gollywobbler" with slight change of spelling: 'i' instead of 'y'. Have not returned to "mule" yet.

Didn't think that a mere sail and mast rack could have a name !!! But then "it takes all sorts" as our host said one evening in 1956 when we visited Sumerset (Weston) when I was a lad still in short pants.

Plomong
If you are interested in using gollywobblers I can recommend John G Alden and His Yacht Designs by Carrick and Henderson which covers the pre WW2 ocean racing in Schooners in detail - unsurprising as Alden effectively invented it. Gollywobblers show on the sailplans of most of the Malabars from Malabar V (1923/4) onwards and in many of the contemporary photographs in the book.

langstonelayabout

Visit site

sneaker
gollywobbler
mule
lazy bones

Plomong

What? I've only been sailing for 38 years and have not heard of these things; sails or not.

Maybe you are looking for strange things or should keep your search to tings that are across the pond from us relatively modern people in Europe.

PS: Try Cruisers Forum. They seem to be very USA-like in their terminology and boats.