pub food

alanhanson

Visit site
where are the best pubs for food, within a 3 hour sail of southampton ? with decent moorings so a good night can be had
i am bringing some friends down & want to give them several options to choose from
also any rec,s from the menus greatfully received thanks in advance alan

tony_brighton

Visit site
Depends what sort of action you're looking for. If its rowdy pubs then go to Cowes and take your pick of pub - they are all the same but at least you can eat fish'n'chips walking up the high street checking them out.

For a quieter experience try Bucklers Hard - there is only 1 pub but I cant remember the name. Good food but a bit pricey offset by stunning scenery.

Lymington is always a good bet but avoid the pub on the Town Quay since it converted to a family restaurant and did away with showers clearly indicating a preference for clientel. However, the old town has an excellent selection of hostelries including a great Indian restaurant.

Haven't been to Newtown Creek for a while but I recall an excellent pub there (again - choice of 1). Maybe other contributors can update on that one.

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site
Yarmouth has a good selection of pubs but you won't get a quiet night, at least not at the weekend, or at all in high season. The Wheatsheaf has enormous portions if you and/or your guests are hungry.
Bembridge - all the pubs are a long walk from the marina, but the ... I think it's called the Baywatch Cafe, is reputed to be very very good. It looks a bit naff, but you have to book to get a table which suggests good tucker. It overlooks the Solent and is right at the entrance to the harbour.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
If you can get a place in Lyminton, head for the King's Head, hearty portions, most of which are good...Lamb Shank is a sizable chunk meat, fish courses went down well, and COD (Calories On Demand) is feed fit for the hungriest salior...it get's busy, but so do most places in the solent that are any good. There are more, but that's one I really remember...and the Sussex Brewery, it's in Emsworth and outside the 3 hour mark

robp

Visit site
Why not try the Folly Inn up the Medina at Cowes? Most there have accessed it by water and it's good fun on a Saturday evening, when all dance on the tables to a midi assisted musician. Quiet it's not. Worth booking though; 01983 297171. (Just happens to be in my phone)!

l'escargot

Visit site
Re:Solent Pubs

Master Builder at Bucklers Hard last weekend - tables sticky, service slow (not busy), food meagre, luke warm and pricy. They have no competition and don't rely on repeat trade.

If you can take the ground, carry on up the Medina, past the Folly, to Newport quay and try the Bargemans Rest. Huge meals, good atmosphere and non intrusive music most nights.

The pub at Newtown is the New Inn at Shalfleet. A long walk unless the tide lets you get up to Shalfleet quay by dinghy. Did have a good reputation for sea food but haven't visited with current owners.

In Lymington, a good bet is the Bosuns Chair, 5 minutes walk round by the railway station. Good food, including fresh fish and a seperate dining area if you don't want to eat in the bar. Also the pub round behind the lifeboat station (name escapes me) has changed hands and offers an interesting, varied menu of the "wine bar" type.

Just off the beaten track is the Fishbourne Inn at Wooton Creek, very good. Use the Royal Victoria Yacht Club pontoon (for a small fee - dries at low water springs) and a short walk. Also good food and drink in the club (weekends).

Regards

billmacfarlane

Visit site
The Ship In at Itchenor in Chichester Harbour does good food at a reasonable price. Pick up a visitor's buoy at Itchenor and it's only a short trip to the landing stage.

davel

Visit site
My own favorite in Lymington is the Chequers. Good atmosphere, excellent beer and great food. Only drawback is that it's a taxi ride outside the main town. Only 5 mins and £5 though and worth it in my opinion.

Agree with comments on the Baywatch at Bembridge. They also have a restraunt in Yarmouth with great views.

dk

Visit site
However, being a typically British pub they also close for food at 2100. I went there a couple of years ago and arrived 2 mins past 9. The kitchen staff were all still there so I asked if they could possibly just knock up a quick cheese sarni for us as we had been sailing all day and hadn't eaten. No food after 9 was the unfriendly reply. I've never been back since and won't - they're obviously making too much money!

G

Island Harbour

If you want something a little quieter... Island Harbour Marina access HW +- 3hours just past the Folly on the Medina. Has a good cafe style restaurant. The Folly is 10/15 mis walk away if you want something noisy and Newport is 20/20mins walkk away. One of our favourite spots.

Pete