Propeller Unrepairable!

Lucas Gan

Visit site
My two 26" propellers were sent to repair. Got bad news from the repair shop said only one is repairable, the other one need replace. The problem is they can not found the same one, which means it needs a two-propeller replacement. That is a pain!
What I can not understand is that the unrepairable propeller only had one blade bent but not very badly. No missing any metal. It still works but will vibrate when the engine over 800 rpm. How come it can not repair a bent blade? Any idea? Thanks.

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
The boatyard sent it to Steel Development.

I sent a couple of Duo props to them at the start of the year and for the first time in over 10 years they said unrepairable even though they had repaired worse in the past.
I had them send them back to me and I found some good ones elsewhere on Ebay, did wonder if it was just easier for them to sell new ones though.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I called Streamlined, they said 26" is too big for them to repair. So I am now searching anywhere can do big propeller repair.

Chris_d

Visit site
My experience with SD is that, good as they are, they tend to be conservative about repairs.
I found Streamlined Props to take a more pragmatic approach to repairs
Yes I used to use them when they were based in Basingstoke as I could drop them off and they would repair anything, think I will be gong back to them next time.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I am now at the Steel Development front door parking. Very nice owner. Just got the two propellers back. Trying to contact Castle Marine, Norris Marine, and FAL propellers in Scotland see if any luck.

oldgit

Visit site
Or Invicta Marine in Chatham Historic Dockyard.,seriously 26" is toy prop to them.Drive down about 50 miles by M25.They repair barge and tug. Props and also the props on the Thames clippers.Chance to visit the dockyard as well.

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Had excellent service from Castle Marine, Caernarfon, only a small outfit, but they seem to do a lot of big commercial work as well as small boat stuff, talk to Carwyn Williams.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Have sent video and photos to every shop. Invicta Marine said can fix it. That is good news as they are not too far from me. Will send the two propellers to him tomorrow. Thank you for all.

Last edited: