Prop loose on shaft?

jamie N

Visit site
Looking at the positive side of things, when you get your new engine, it'll be going to a 'shiny bright' engine bay, and the prop issue will have had a good coat of 'looking at'!
(y)

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Once over the cost of a new engine, I rapidly enjoyed the confidence of reliable power at the touch of a button.

A bit harder was a new gearbox on my other boat. Apparently they are not made out of kryptonite but cost as much as if they were...

Norman_E

Visit site
If your prop shaft has slipped back by small amount and the weight of the gearbox is pulling down the shaft, the tip of the blade could be hitting off the top of the rudder cut out. This is based on the image you posted.

My own experience of removing a coupling in the water resulted in the shaft slipping backwards rather fast and striking the skeg, which surprised me, as I assumed it would be clamped reasonably well by stuffing box and cutless bearing. On hindsight, of course not!

Double nutting in rotating things is an unreliable method of securing the fastening.
On my boat the distance from the cutless bearing back to the rudder is such that a prop shaft can fall right out of the boat if the shaft anode is missing! My tip whenever preparing to remove the coupling is to clamp a shaft anode onto the shaft inside the boat so that the shaft can only move back until the anode touches the shaft seal. That way you have no risk of flooding the boat.