Project took a bit longer than planned

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
I think I started building a HR style semi hard top about 18 months ago but life just got in the way.
Anyway its just about done now and it works a treat and though I say it myself, doesn't look too bad.
Certainly better than the very old and floppy old blue one it replaced.
HT_002.jpg

HT_013.jpg

HT_021.jpg
HT_026.jpg
HT_032.jpg

HT_038.jpg
HT_041.jpg

fredrussell

Visit site
Nice! I’m curious: With these HR type affairs, when the rain is lashing down and your comfortably situated aft of the screen, can you see a great deal without window wipers?

Javelin

It was good as the window angle is quite steep.
One issue was splashing sea water on really hot days which left salt rather than water.
That was fixed with "rain x" spray, all water just runs off right away.

michael_w

Visit site
De gustibus non est disputandum.

I think it looks awful. Rob Humphreys must be tearing his hair out. Having a fixed screen and never lowering the spray hood is a bit like owning a convertible sports car and never taking the top down.

Maybe this is a secret desire for a Fisher motor sailer? :unsure:

Old Harry

Visit site
De gustibus non est disputandum.

I think it looks awful. Rob Humphreys must be tearing his hair out. Having a fixed screen and never lowering the spray hood is a bit like owning a convertible sports car and never taking the top down.

Maybe this is a secret desire for a Fisher motor sailer? :unsure:
Why beat about the bloody bush m8, just come out with it man, out with it

Javelin

The cavas section of the sprayhood gets lowered, two minute job.
Plus Humphreys is probably more worried about all the other mods I've made like a 30hp engine instead of the 9hp, 100lt fuel tank instead of the 12lt one, masthead rig instead of the fractional with runners, headlining instead of bare glass, cabinets ans drawers instead of the two wing berths, etc, etc..........

Old Harry

Visit site
Plus Humphreys is probably more worried about all the other mods I've made like a 30hp engine instead of the 9hp, 100lt fuel tank instead of the 12lt one, masthead rig instead of the fractional with runners, headlining instead of bare glass, cabinets ans drawers instead of the two wing berths, etc, etc..........
Ideal for a Dutch boating holiday

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Javelin,

I'm generally an admirer of your posts on here and, in this case, the craftsmanship and good fit of this job shine through. However, I must say that I personally prefer the look of the foldable sprayhood.

Never mind, it wouldn't do for us all to have the same taste, she's your boat so must be fitted out as you want - the rest of us don't matter. Well done!

Peter.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
Well I like it. Looks good, the lines are in keeping with the boat and the improved functionality of hard windows vs the panels in a spray hood (that rapidly turn opaque) can’t be denied.

Concerto

Visit site
Yea gods Javelin, you have created a motor sailer. Nice job.

Javelin

Roompot to tied up at Southwold, 12hrs 10m. NE F4.
Usually see 6knts in 8 knts upwind in flat water.
30hp yamar 5.6knt@1500, 6.5knt@2500, 7.2knt@3000 revs (two bladed, folding, Gori prop via saildrive)
She has quite a big bum so can take a fair amount of weight aft. (12' beam, 30' lwl)
Transom is around 6" above water at rest. (which can be a pain if small waves come from astern in a marina.(noisey))
I did try a 100lt bladder water tank under the fwd v berth and she stopped dead, so that idea was quickly canned.
She will not sit on her keel as she falls backwards which is a pain and care needs to be taken when setting up a cradle.
Mind you the keel length at the base is pretty small.
somersault2014-1024x674.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
I think it looks sort of OK, but its practical rewards will make it worthwhile. When my HR was new a club member came up to me and said that the sprayhood made it look dreadful, so I know the feeling. I think you may regret not putting an opening section for the forward-facing sector. It gets amazingly hot under a hood, and there are occasional times, even for a cold fish like me, when a through draught is very welcome. Another project perhaps.

For anyone concerned about visibility, rain and spray are seldom a problem, though early morning misting can be a nuisance, and a window squeegee is essential. My experience is that the improved shelter leads to better watch-keeping, and glass is preferable to the usual flexible panels, even allowing the use of binoculars effectively.