Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

vas

Visit site
I mite try a different approach to the finish, not sure what but i uslauuly just falp them over then polish and leave them, Suggestions ?

Now again i have lost loads of pics so i will take them aain asap and tell the story more.

Still, got You Tube vids down loading ;) if ther any good.

My god this is harder than doing the boat.

Captain Faffer

assume alloy window frames?
if not much pitted, what you do, else, bugger... Tried painting, didn't work v.well, not sure much you can do tbh.

looking forward to the youtube with your posh accent on hopefully :p

it is hard reporting I agree, but I used to do it when really knackered and unable to go back and do some more...

V.

waynes world

Visit site
assume alloy window frames?
if not much pitted, what you do, else, bugger... Tried painting, didn't work v.well, not sure much you can do tbh.

looking forward to the youtube with your posh accent on hopefully :p

it is hard reporting I agree, but I used to do it when really knackered and unable to go back and do some more...

V.

Yes V Ally frames, i usu`Ally lol, Just flat back and leave but there are so lots of treamtents to look at,i just leave and wonder what to ty next, or if to do so. Dont want to paint though.

Think the vids mite of downloaded now, of my new multilingual language is better ;)

Christ did i just spell multilingual, cant even bloody say it.

I think i have come to the point of no so clever videos for youtube, takes to much time.

waynes world

Visit site
Just trying something.

https://i.postimg.cc/wMhXyrdx/20200201-132014.jpg

20200201-132014.jpg

Tradewinds

Visit site

waynes world

Visit site
Okeydoke.

To say i have been off work for near 6 weeks this boat should be a lot further on i think.

Still its getting there to the point i can do more things to show for it. Weather needs to warn to use sealant etc etc again. So windows cant go in or blank off the front cabin rear windows.

So what have i been up to.

As i am removing the engine and think that paying a crane to come in to do it for me i though i would make a new Gantry. My other is a bit small at 7 foot high as i need 10 foot to get the height needed. So i cracked on to build a new one last week.

Oh before that though i removed all the windows then started to clean them up a bit and cleaned more of the boat out.

I used my Multitool here to break the seal of the windows to save bending and time removing them. A steel cutting blade is good if you get some screws/bolts that will not come out.

20200125_154706.jpg

See the difference here, right side is pressure washed.

20200129_120405.jpg

So the new gantry fits just nice.

20200208-131739.jpg

Its only a 4cyl diesel but dam its heavy, had lighter V6 and V8 engines to play with. But then its an old thing at near 50 years old now.

20200208-131946.jpg

It was a lot easier with the girder trolley and gantry on castors, struggled in the past with out.

20200208-131827.jpg

20200208-132344.jpg

20200208-132510.jpg

Got the thing out then before i wheeled into the pound we gave it a wash down with some TFR.

Come up nice i think. I wonder if it has been washed down in the last 50 years ???????

20200208-141337.jpg

20200208-141328.jpg

20200208-142237.jpg

Plan for now is to just strip off the intercooler and what not then paitn strip it to give it a new coat of original paint. Find a side entry inlet manifold so i can get a lower engine bay lid. Unless i do what i plan to do :):)

20200208-143610.jpg

20200208-143617.jpg

20200208-143623.jpg

Oh yes, these engine have an exhaust lol

20200208-132235.jpg

Forgot to detach it so halfway through the lift the hacksaw came out :)

That looks so feeble for weeks of it. Although i feel i have been working on it every day. I have struggled still with one eye to build the gantry with welding. One of them jobs that go.....Weld ....grind....weld ....grind.......weld....grind.....have a moment and a brew....weld ....sod it that will do :)

vas

Visit site
20200208-142237.jpg

Plan for now is to just strip off the intercooler and what not then paitn strip it to give it a new coat of original paint. Find a side entry inlet manifold so i can get a lower engine bay lid. Unless i do what i plan to do :):)

looks good W!

I particularly like the green stripy waterhose connecting the heat exchanger to the measly elbow, hope you keep it :p
Mixing elbow looks odd, not really mixing anything is it?
I guess it goes straight into the outdrive and there's no exhaust hose involved, right?
Are you going to rebuilt the engine or just service and cosmetics? After the miles you've done in the canals, you must have an idea of it's condition, right?

cheers

V.

waynes world

Visit site
looks good W!

I particularly like the green stripy waterhose connecting the heat exchanger to the measly elbow, hope you keep it :p
Mixing elbow looks odd, not really mixing anything is it?
I guess it goes straight into the outdrive and there's no exhaust hose involved, right?
Are you going to rebuilt the engine or just service and cosmetics? After the miles you've done in the canals, you must have an idea of it's condition, right?

cheers

V.

This pipe ;)

Hey even more clever tech stuff, i managed to zoom in for you can save the pic ;)

ODD PIPE.jpg

Not all that up on inboards, well heat exchangers not that clued up but engine yes, i get how they work and what they do.

So `mixing elbow going into the outdrive ` ?

The exchanger and exhaust just goes direct out the transom. hole on the right

20200123-144148.jpg

20190810_133617.jpg

So the exhaust is the rubber pipe i cut off at the end of the green stripy pipe junction.

EXHAUST.jpg

I wont be stripping the engine as it runs great, like you say, i had a good run with it over four weekends non stop, doing 8-10hr cruising.

Its a pig to get started if you get air in the fuel line, like when we ran out of diesel. Going to see about fitting an electric lift pump to make it easier.

So just to remove the heat exchanger and all ancilleries and clean up more and repaint it all.

Then bench test it just for the crack :)

W:)

vas

Visit site
ah, OK

now looking at it closer, judging from its thickness, it's probably a proper exhaust hose, just painted on the green flaking a bit, looks OK .
thought it went through the shield or what you call it. OK, in your case it goes straight out and above w/l, so fine but wont be quiet for sure!
maybe think about fitting some sort of silencer (vetus does many) if you have space to route the hose to stbrd, put a silencer and then go out through the transom.

cheers

V.

waynes world

Visit site
ah, OK

now looking at it closer, judging from its thickness, it's probably a proper exhaust hose, just painted on the green flaking a bit, looks OK .
thought it went through the shield or what you call it. OK, in your case it goes straight out and above w/l, so fine but wont be quiet for sure!
maybe think about fitting some sort of silencer (vetus does many) if you have space to route the hose to stbrd, put a silencer and then go out through the transom.

cheers

V.

I was planning on doing but hell, you heard it havnt you :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My goodness you are cracking on. Mind you I look at what you have to do and I feel quite Sick lol.

I have my 19 foot Fletcher in a Party tent at the moment with just a few jobs to do on her. Nice to be able to get and work on it all weathers. Even the little jobs I have to do worry meIn the Tent 2.jpgIn the tent.jpg

longjohnsilver

Visit site
My goodness you are cracking on. Mind you I look at what you have to do and I feel quite Sick lol.

I have my 19 foot Fletcher in a Party tent at the moment with just a few jobs to do on her. Nice to be able to get and work on it all weathers. Even the little jobs I have to do worry meView attachment 85317View attachment 85318

How has your tent withstood the recent storms? Looks ideal for working on the boat.

waynes world

Visit site

I have my 19 foot Fletcher in a Party tent at the moment with just a few jobs to do on her. Nice to be able to get and work on it all weathers. Even the little jobs I have to do worry meView attachment 85317View attachment 85318

I havnt done anywhere as much as i could of. In near two months off work i should have windows back in, sanded down, canopy made and ready for the extension. But nope :( I do have small excuse though and thats the weather.

I was going to ask the as John, how has it stood up to the weather, i will be getting something similar for when i build the back end. Not wanting to splash out on one, maybe £200-£300 on one.

Also i have been looking into getting new windows made for the Norman, double glazed, and that came to a quick end, Houdini came back at close to £8k and Seaglaze £5.5k for singe glazed. So its a refurb again, these original windows are not to bad just fancied double glazed. Frt windows are in need of a fettle though as the fixing holes are to big due to being counter sunk to much and close to the edge now.

I fancy getting them solder/welding rods i have seen of face book to do this. we will see.

Captain Faffer :)