Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

waynes world

Visit site
Hey i am at it again :D:rolleyes::D

I have been looking for another project for a few weeks now, infact not long after i finished Khashoggi. I looked at many and thought of many to buy from part done to shells again and start from scratch, sea boats to river boat to canal/river boats.

I found some boats that could be made into crackers but they were asking stupid money, i mean a 37 foot GRP MS bare hull ( once ripped out ) and engine for £5k.

Anyway after a good talk with T i decided to get another river/canal boat, T is not mad on going to sea and as she is ok with me getting another project, and i am happy with it then why not please us both. I fancied awide beam and had a thought to widen this one to ten foot, but then in the future we may ant to cruise more of the UK canal system which a lot of it is narrow.

Ah now where does the title come from. Some may know i just love boats in all shape and form and condition and rather save a boat and enjoy the hobby , that is where the `OBD` comes in :confused:

My good lady, very good lady i have to say and one in a million, well she diagnosed me with this problem i have OBD ` Obsessive Boat Disorder` :rolleyes:

Lets just get to the introduction now hey of what is an unnamed boat at the minute to me.

This is a Norman 32 6`10" beam cabin cruiser. In need of much work, but less than the Buckingham i did last time. Trust me it does....i think :eek:

67385262-2450987735184579-3860900811391369216-n.jpg

20190726-185035.jpg

20190726-185041.jpg

20190726-185110.jpg

20190726-185055.jpg

67344306-479657206125679-8320522387422445568-n.jpg

67150795-433437607250976-1160582785665073152-n.jpg

The engine which is a Mercedes OM636 with outdrive / Z drive runs great, needs a few things like air filter and a good battery for now to get it to the home mooring i have for it a few moorings up from Khahsoggi.

20190726-185134.jpg

20190726-185130.jpg

It has a new starter motor a basic service and Inj pump refurb

Sounds well once it got going but when viewing the seller didnt bother to preheat the plugs for some reason so smoked like a good un.

In a few weeks i will start the 4-5 day trip to get it there. I will be doing it during the weekends and as after a days cruise it is not that far from home for the first few days i will leave it over night and go home, but the last leg i will stay in a BnB as this will be before the Ribble Link which beside the adventure to do the whole trip this is the biggest part and will need to be prebooked to get on to the Tidal stretch.

So plan is

Get it to the mooring and rip out whats left needed to be done, not a great deal left. But i will be taking down the inner skin of th cabin top as its got a ply inner top, sandwich construction, this will be redone by adding ribs in place every foot or so then to save head room by a good 20mm i can insulate it with spray foam this time,

Windows are all coming out and getting toughend glass to replace the plastic naff thats in there.

Well as you will see there is water in the bottom, i have three bilge pumps to pump out the boat once out of Manchester, saves homeless folk and squatters taking over if its full of water. Then this will i hope see if the leg has any leaks or exhaust etc. Still i will be dragging it out locally to redo them all an d remove the engine to clean it up and fit a drip tray etc etc.

Ok that as far as i have got. loads as you will see the plan and do.

Bring on the next so many years. I/we will be staying on Khashoggi every other weekend and working on `OBD`as said its a few boats down from it.

I will get a walk around video if i remember when i move it in a few weeks ;)

Admiral Faffer :)

pvb

Visit site
Well, errr, that's a much better project than the Fisher 37 you looked at! It's floating. The engine sounds OK. The superstructure is in place, and once painted should look smart. There's just the interior to construct; once you have it dry and clean inside that shouldn't be a major problem. Enjoy it!

jimmcgee

Visit site
:encouragement: your mad !! but in a good way lol , enjoyed your last build , refit , so this should be another good read .

waynes world

Visit site
Just been planning the trip to get it back, the Ribble link is low on dates either the 30th August or 5 days in September. Makes it less of a rush to get it there now.

Its a debate now, either new cordless tools :) and charge them on Khahsogggi as got a 250w solar running three 100`s or genny for what mains powered i have now.

Already decision decisions :)

sarabande

Visit site
We are so lucky that you are clearly bonkers ! It's going to be another inspirational thread, and I look forward to it.

I'd go for a generator. You might need space heating in winter, and a dehumidifier could be useful.

Best wishes for a lot of fun.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Wayne why have you posted this on PBO forum? I’d guess that not many who followed your last project on the mobo forum will see this.

waynes world

Visit site
Wayne why have you posted this on PBO forum? I’d guess that not many who followed your last project on the mobo forum will see this.

Hi John, i see you found the toy ;)

Only as a few said the build blogs should be in this section.

How can i move it over to MOBO ?

Oh and thanks for the Zodiac. I got your email just now as it went into my spam.

@Wayne, what's the make of the drive leg on your new baby? If that's a Transa I might have had a hand in its initial creation :)

I havnt a cue but just found out the bloody thing has a draught of 0.9m so i can get up the Ribble Link to get to the Lancaster so already a problem well just have cruise it the to crane it half way for 10 miles then cruise the rest of the way.

Going to get some prices tomorrow.

pvb

Visit site
I havnt a cue but just found out the bloody thing has a draught of 0.9m so i can get up the Ribble Link to get to the Lancaster so already a problem well just have cruise it the to crane it half way for 10 miles then cruise the rest of the way.

They usually had Enfield or Transa outdrives.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
They usually had Enfield or Transa outdrives.
I worked for Vetron Engineering in Leatherhead in 1972, making Transadrive legs. My part in their downfall mostly consisted of sawing and filing a LOT of things to make them "fit", some stores work, a fair bit of tea making and occasionally driving, which was odd as I was (a) 16 and (b) obviously hadn't passed my test but they didn't seem to mind. I was also in charge of the works compressor which a temperamental thing that needed constant percussive maintenance... :)

Happy days.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Awesome Wayne. I really like the lines of your boat.

Has a sort of MTB look to it :)

Can the outdrive not be operated raised up a bit? Do the Enfields swing sideways or something?

waynes world

Visit site
Bump!

Looks like a great project Wayne and should be a nice looking boat when you're done.

I think so, well when they are tarted up a bit. I can see it with two hardtops with canvas sides :)

Awesome Wayne. I really like the lines of your boat.

Has a sort of MTB look to it :)

Can the outdrive not be operated raised up a bit? Do the Enfields swing sideways or something?

Not a clue, i think they do lift up but thats about it, cant wait to start on it to learn more on it all.

I will be going down this Friday so i will measure the draught of the leg. if it come sin at around 30 inch i will be happy. I have been told it should do so finger crossed.

Admiral Faffer:)

Restoration man

Visit site
Hi Wayne looking forward to the new thread , got quite addicted to your old thread had to check most days to see if you had done something else on the boat, hope you get some time to actually use your new boat when it’s done