Professional retro fit bow thruster

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a yacht but presently the vessel identified as a potential purchase has no bow thruster. I'm no fan of bow thrusters but there are times, in a tight windy spot, when a thruster can save the day. I'm being told that a professional retrofit of a 7hp electric thruster is £5k. I don't believe it. Apparently the machinery is £3.5k so I reckon the whole job has to be £7k minimum.

I was wondering if anyone hereabouts has first hand experience of such a retrofit and would be willing to share details and costs.

TIA

Rob

filban

Visit site
Had bow thruster retro fitted to my Bavaria 32
Cost c £3.5k including remote and binnacle controls
I had to make good the copper coating to the hull

Elessar

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a yacht but presently the vessel identified as a potential purchase has no bow thruster. I'm no fan of bow thrusters but there are times, in a tight windy spot, when a thruster can save the day. I'm being told that a professional retrofit of a 7hp electric thruster is £5k. I don't believe it. Apparently the machinery is £3.5k so I reckon the whole job has to be £7k minimum.

I was wondering if anyone hereabouts has first hand experience of such a retrofit and would be willing to share details and costs.

TIA

Rob
Where are you based? I have south coast recommendations.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I had one done on a 32 ft sailing yacht about three years age for 4K including fitting and all electrics and controls, very neat job, from Osmotech on the Hamble but they came to my yard.