Princess 54: Winter Preparation

Scubaboy79

Visit site
Hello,

Having boated in the Med for the last four years, I now have a Princess 54 Flybridge berthed in Ocean Village. I'm starting to think through winter precautions. Other than her annual lift-out, my intention is to leave the boat in the water and to use her on clear winter days, so I won't want to "winterise" the engines and drain down the freshwater etc.

With that in mind, I'm going to put heaters in the engine room, a heater in the lazarette (for the generator), a couple of heaters in the saloon/companionway and a dehumidifier.

Couple of questions:

- Any recommendations for a specific heater and temperature controlled plug?
- Any recommendations for a dehumidifier?
- What temperature do you set your heaters to come on? I was thinking of something around 10 degrees, but recall a vague discussion about dew point temperatures to avoid condensation forming?

- Final question. How paranoid are you about keeping fuel tanks brimmed? If you go out in the winter for a short day trip, do you refill the tanks immediately to mitigate the risk of condensation and diesel bug? I normally refuel in Cowes (given no fuel berth in OV) so not massively convenient. For example, at the moment, my fuel tanks are half full and I'm getting nervous that I should go down this weekend and refill, or am I over-thinking risk of diesel bug? The tanks are covered in lagging....

Portofino

Visit site
Would have thought the heaters will prevent the tanks cooling for condensation.
Use some anti bug treatment.There are two types an actual antimicrobial agent , you don’t want this .An emulsifier that reckons to disperse the water if any into the fuel .I would go for that type and dose it up .

Further more when nipping out on a clear dry winters day double check the racor bowls .If they do there job they should catch any water .
Check the rubber o ring integrity of the fuel filler caps .Often overlooked .Even if the fillers are supposedly covered and thus protected .Winter wind + rain = water eventually finds it way where in theory the book says it should not .

Would have thought any Argos oil heater they come with stats on .

Dehumidifier .Med based so not an issue .All I know they causes fires and if the boats heated sufficiently not necessarily needed .Others will hopefully chime in on that on ?

As you plan to be on it now and again run up the geny as well and reverse cycle the aircon , it might draw any damp out .Do both some good btw = usage .

I do not brim my tanks ….Infact the opposite run them quite down .
Incase they leak .
Secondly I have cocks at the lowest point so can always open to find nothing just fuel .No water .
Sight glasses come out from the lowest point ( seperate on / off cocks ) so basically I can see what’s lurking at the bottom.
Med based but it’s known to snow occasionally at sea level .
Also the cost of 2200 L , I can invest that and make a bit over the winter lay up anyhow rather than sit in diesel.
Which might go down in price as well as up .

Momac

Visit site

Sneds

Visit site
I keep diesel topped up but not obsessive about, dose up with Marine 16
As said, Argos oil filled radiators keep the damp at bay and circulate air (hot air rising)
I also leave a few windows open to allow fresh air in.
36ft flybridge and no issues

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Hello,

Having boated in the Med for the last four years, I now have a Princess 54 Flybridge berthed in Ocean Village. I'm starting to think through winter precautions. Other than her annual lift-out, my intention is to leave the boat in the water and to use her on clear winter days, so I won't want to "winterise" the engines and drain down the freshwater etc.

With that in mind, I'm going to put heaters in the engine room, a heater in the lazarette (for the generator), a couple of heaters in the saloon/companionway and a dehumidifier.

Couple of questions:

- What temperature do you set your heaters to come on? I was thinking of something around 10 degrees, but recall a vague discussion about dew point temperatures to avoid condensation forming?

- Final question. How paranoid are you about keeping fuel tanks brimmed? If you go out in the winter for a short day trip, do you refill the tanks immediately to mitigate the risk of condensation and diesel bug? I normally refuel in Cowes (given no fuel berth in OV) so not massively convenient. For example, at the moment, my fuel tanks are half full and I'm getting nervous that I should go down this weekend and refill, or am I over-thinking risk of diesel bug? The tanks are covered in lagging....

If you were med based, don't you have aircon? If that has dehum mode, that's what I'd use. I used to just leave mine in dehum mode all winter, worked perfectly. Regarding fuel and water, I'd keep the fuel as full as possible, and the water as empty as possible (and depressurised with taps left open) but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're keeping the boat in the water it is only when the sea starts freezing over that you need to start taking things a bit more seriously...

Seastoke

Visit site
If you were med based, don't you have aircon? If that has dehum mode, that's what I'd use. I used to just leave mine in dehum mode all winter, worked perfectly. Regarding fuel and water, I'd keep the fuel as full as possible, and the water as empty as possible (and depressurised with taps left open) but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're keeping the boat in the water it is only when the sea starts freezing over that you need to start taking things a bit more seriously...
Welcome back.

Scubaboy79

Visit site

Great thanks everyone for the advice. Hugely helpful including about using a diesel additive.

We owned a share of a P62 in Mallorca, so this boat is our first ”all ours” boat and the first boat we have had in the UK (the plan to boat in the UK for a couple of years to allow COVID to pass) so lots to learn! No tides and not much winter in Mallorca…

That said, we’re loving the P54!

Hurricane

Visit site
Great thanks everyone for the advice. Hugely helpful including about using a diesel additive.

We owned a share of a P62 in Mallorca, so this boat is our first ”all ours” boat and the first boat we have had in the UK (the plan to boat in the UK for a couple of years to allow COVID to pass) so lots to learn! No tides and not much winter in Mallorca…

That said, we’re loving the P54!
I've always thought the P54 is a great boat - from the fist time that I saw it when it was launched.
Should be great in the UK and should also work in the Med if you choose to relocate again sometime.

Scubaboy79

Visit site
I've always thought the P54 is a great boat - from the fist time that I saw it when it was launched.
Should be great in the UK and should also work in the Med if you choose to relocate again sometime.

We’d love to taker her to the Med (and she has full Med spec) but she is a UK VAT paid boat, so I fear Brexit will prevent us, unless we go to somewhere like Montenegro. If it were not for Brexit I’d be browsing that Seven Star website already!

Hurricane

Visit site
We’d love to taker her to the Med (and she has full Med spec) but she is a UK VAT paid boat, so I fear Brexit will prevent us, unless we go to somewhere like Montenegro. If it were not for Brexit I’d be browsing that Seven Star website already!
Can you use the TA rules in the EU even though the boat is UK VAT paid
Assuming that you are UK resident.
That would give you 18 months at at time in the EU - just reset every 18 months.
That might extend the cruising areas to (say) Greece/Italy.
Or maybe somewhere like Carloforte (Sardinia) which I think is one of the loveliest places that we have been.
Based at Carloforte, you could pop across to Tunisia every 18 months to reset the TA.
Just a thought - I think thats the kind of thing that I would do.

Scubaboy79

Visit site
Yes it is certainly something that has crossed our mind, but given we both have full on jobs, I worry the reality of having to factor in a 300 mile round trip every 18 months would prove to be a bit of a stress. Once you factor that in and shipping costs to bring our boat from the UK down to the Med, you end up thinking you might as well sell your UK boat and find an EU VAT paid boat in the Med. But as we all know, finding a well kept example of a decent boat like the P54 in the Med and in this market is easier said than done. Tricky.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
One of the advantages you will have in my humble opinion is that the tanks are insulated which I have always thought helps prevent condensation. In 8 or 9 years we’ve never had any water issues with our P50 which is essentially the same boat.

The sea acts as a lovely little thermal heat store to prevent minus temps - air temp drops below freezing if you are out on the hard, and of course you get to see some stellar spots in the winter. I’ll keep well away in Newtown Creek…… ?

Scubaboy79

Visit site
One of the advantages you will have in my humble opinion is that the tanks are insulated which I have always thought helps prevent condensation. In 8 or 9 years we’ve never had any water issues with our P50 which is essentially the same boat.

The sea acts as a lovely little thermal heat store to prevent minus temps - air temp drops below freezing if you are out on the hard, and of course you get to see some stellar spots in the winter. I’ll keep well away in Newtown Creek…… ?

Super helpful thanks. Yes Newtown Creek in winter is - I’m hoping - going to be one of the highlights! It was all a bit….frantic….when we were there in August.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Super helpful thanks. Yes Newtown Creek in winter is - I’m hoping - going to be one of the highlights! It was all a bit….frantic….when we were there in August.
You may well have the place to yourself in Winter. Heating on, mist rising off the water first thing, wildlife all around you.

Marvelous.

Elessar

Visit site
Hello,

Couple of questions:

desiccant dehumidifier in the galley so it drains out of the sink. I leave it on 24/7 and it provides background heat. I even leave the beds made up and it all stays fresh. Ideally get a device that alerts you if you lose shore power.

turn left out of OV and there is fuel just the other side of the Itchen bridge. Don’t cut the corner when turning left its shallow.

No need to be paranoid about it being full. The top of the tank won’t have diesel touching it anyway. As you get more empty the metal sides of the tank come into play as well. So don’t be less that 3/4 I’d say.

That’s all I do. The only thing that’s ever suffered is the external shower head. I’ve had a few split. I should find a way to isolate and drain that but have never been bothered.

Momac

Visit site
Over winter I pump out as much domestic water as possible . Taps are left open. Shower heads shaken to remove water droplets .Then have frost protecton heaters on.
I lost one shower head after very severe frosts in 2012 or thereabouts.
The macerator pump studs snapped last winter allowing a leak . Not a pleasant task to clean up. It was probable frost damage. We had some sharp frost in late March after I had taken the frost protection heaters off.
There could easily be a frosty winter despite the recent trend of mild winters.

Elessar

Visit site
Over winter I pump out as much domestic water as possible . Taps are left open. Shower heads shaken to remove water droplets .Then have frost protecton heaters on.
I lost one shower head after very severe frosts in 2012 or thereabouts.
The macerator pump studs snapped last winter allowing a leak . Not a pleasant task to clean up. It was probable frost damage. We had some sharp frost in late March after I had taken the frost protection heaters off.
There could easily be a frosty winter despite the recent trend of mild winters.
Boat in or out of the water? In the UK the water keeps your boat warm enough. I don’t do any of that it makes it too hard to use my boat.