Pricing a transat skipper

armchairsailor

Visit site
Hello, not been on for a while. I was idly browsing the boat ads and noticed a bargain for sale in New York. This got me to wondering how much it costs to hire a good skipper (I know there are some on here) for a delivery trip from the N American eastern seaboard back to Blighty. I realise it's a piece of string question, but assuming a well-found boat, crewed by hired skipper, owner and one or two others (paid crew?), would it be more cost effective to sail or have it shipped?

Sharky34

Visit site
Hello, not been on for a while. I was idly browsing the boat ads and noticed a bargain for sale in New York. This got me to wondering how much it costs to hire a good skipper (I know there are some on here) for a delivery trip from the N American eastern seaboard back to Blighty. I realise it's a piece of string question, but assuming a well-found boat, crewed by hired skipper, owner and one or two others (paid crew?), would it be more cost effective to sail or have it shipped?
Is this not a little academic at moment?

TernVI

Visit site
Flights.
Expenses.
Wild guess £200 a day?
Budget on 'several' days prep and a lot of incidental purchases before departure.

Importing a yacht from the US is not trivial. VAT and duty and RCD compliance issues.

TernVI

Visit site
If you ship it, VAT and duty are calculated including the cost of shipping.
Not sure how they'd treat delivery expenses!
But shipping can be a fixed price where delivery might be open ended.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

I would seriously consider shipping the boat (if you can't sail her over yourself).

These companies have decades of experience and will no doubt be able to advise you regarding cost, import duties, etc...

Sevenstar Yacht Transport - Let The Best Ship Your Yacht | Homepage

Yacht Shipping | Yacht Transport | Peters & May

Homepage - DYT Yacht Transport

PilotWolf

Visit site
What sort of boat ?

Might bbe available and cheap :)

US and UK citizen so hopefully non of that would be a problem but obviously would have to check.

W.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
£6k would be my guess on what I've been told. Think shipping might be slightly dearer but far less punishing to the boat.

AFAIK, professional deliveries have been unaffected, certainly in Europe, as with all other commercial shipping movements.
Outside of Europe they have. Certainly from Latin America .....

armchairsailor

Visit site
Purely academic at the mo - fam wants to move back to the UK, and finding a bargain to take over might be a way of getting something suitable for a 14 year old, 6'2" offspring. He's ruled out doing a transat, but I've not...

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
The main advantage of doing a yacht delivery by sea is that the yacht can be collected and dropped off in any port you wish. Transporting by ship can only be done on very specific routes and set times. It is also generally quite a bit cheaper to sail the yacht back across and as long as the yacht is up to the journey wear and tear will be minimal.

It's also a great opportunity to join the delivery skipper and have a trip of your lifetime!

Pete

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
The main advantage of doing a yacht delivery by sea is that the yacht can be collected and dropped off in any port you wish. Transporting by ship can only be done on very specific routes and set times. It is also generally quite a bit cheaper to sail the yacht back across and as long as the yacht is up to the journey wear and tear will be minimal.

It's also a great opportunity to join the delivery skipper and have a trip of your lifetime!

Pete

Does this read like 'if it breaks, it's not our fault' to anyone else?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...finding a bargain to take over might be a way of getting something suitable for a 14 year old, 6'2" offspring. He's ruled out doing a transat, but I've not...

So if the boat's for a fourteen year old who even now is not interested in ocean passage making, why go to the expense of buying an ocean capable yacht for him? A coastal cruiser bought at this side would be cheaper and prove more suited to his needs.
Of course, if the story of 'it's for the offspring' is how you're selling it to the wife, let me know and I'll delete this post.

TernVI

Visit site
A returning family can avoid import VAT and duty at least potentially, so the bargains may be worth a look.
DYOR obviously.