Pricing a transat skipper

armchairsailor

Visit site
So if the boat's for a fourteen year old who even now is not interested in ocean passage making, why go to the expense of buying an ocean capable yacht for him? A coastal cruiser bought at this side would be cheaper and prove more suited to his needs.
Of course, if the story of 'it's for the offspring' is how you're selling it to the wife, let me know and I'll delete this post.
T'lad has been adamant that he likes sailing holidays, but has grown tired of being on a 28 footer. It would be, theoretically, a family boat, however the spatial requirements of said family are always a major consideration. I would have no problem with the idea of assisting a professional skipper with a delivery passage, as I'm always keen to learn and would give my eye teeth for such an opportunity, but realise that I'd be alone in wanting to do a transat. Anyway, here's the boat - bloody bargain if you ask me, although the electronics are a bit elderly.

TernVI

Visit site
Tempting isn't it?
Are there no longer amateur sailors around who would be happy to sail it back with you for the experience?
Ever year lots of people throw money at the ARC having never done a proper ocean crossing before, they could do worse than invest a month of time and a few quid in getting some miles on such a venture.
It seems like a better VFM propositon than the Clipper race, if an ocean is on your wish list.

obmij

Visit site
empting isn't it?
Are there no longer amateur sailors around who would be happy to sail it back with you for the experience?
Ever year lots of people throw money at the ARC having never done a proper ocean crossing before, they could do worse than invest a month of time and a few quid in getting some miles on such a venture.
It seems like a better VFM propositon than the Clipper race, if an ocean is on your wish list.

I'm guessing amateur sailors would be hoping for an experienced and confident skipper. Unless I've ready this incorrectly the OP is also looking for the same.

OP - Don't cut corners , do it properly and safely. Better to make sure the vessel is fit to transit and instruct competent people. Much cheaper in the end.

If it doesn't stack up financially, and you're not tied in emotionally - don't bother.

2p for free :)