• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Pricing a transat skipper

armchairsailor

Hello, not been on for a while. I was idly browsing the boat ads and noticed a bargain for sale in New York. This got me to wondering how much it costs to hire a good skipper (I know there are some on here) for a delivery trip from the N American eastern seaboard back to Blighty. I realise it's a piece of string question, but assuming a well-found boat, crewed by hired skipper, owner and one or two others (paid crew?), would it be more cost effective to sail or have it shipped?

Sharky34

Hello, not been on for a while. I was idly browsing the boat ads and noticed a bargain for sale in New York. This got me to wondering how much it costs to hire a good skipper (I know there are some on here) for a delivery trip from the N American eastern seaboard back to Blighty. I realise it's a piece of string question, but assuming a well-found boat, crewed by hired skipper, owner and one or two others (paid crew?), would it be more cost effective to sail or have it shipped?
Is this not a little academic at moment?

TernVI

Flights.
Expenses.
Wild guess £200 a day?
Budget on 'several' days prep and a lot of incidental purchases before departure.

Importing a yacht from the US is not trivial. VAT and duty and RCD compliance issues.

Quiddle

£6k would be my guess on what I've been told. Think shipping might be slightly dearer but far less punishing to the boat.

Is this not a little academic at moment?
AFAIK, professional deliveries have been unaffected, certainly in Europe, as with all other commercial shipping movements.

TernVI

If you ship it, VAT and duty are calculated including the cost of shipping.
Not sure how they'd treat delivery expenses!
But shipping can be a fixed price where delivery might be open ended.

Koeketiene

I would seriously consider shipping the boat (if you can't sail her over yourself).

These companies have decades of experience and will no doubt be able to advise you regarding cost, import duties, etc...

Sevenstar Yacht Transport - Let The Best Ship Your Yacht | Homepage

Yacht Shipping | Yacht Transport | Peters & May

Homepage - DYT Yacht Transport

PilotWolf

What sort of boat ?

Might bbe available and cheap :)

US and UK citizen so hopefully non of that would be a problem but obviously would have to check.

W.

capnsensible

£6k would be my guess on what I've been told. Think shipping might be slightly dearer but far less punishing to the boat.

AFAIK, professional deliveries have been unaffected, certainly in Europe, as with all other commercial shipping movements.
Outside of Europe they have. Certainly from Latin America .....

prv

Outside of Europe they have. Certainly from Latin America .....
+1

A company I deal with has survey and ROV crews at sea - unrelated to my work with them, but in general conversation they‘ve mentioned huge difficulty arranging crew changes, with people stuck on ships or in transit hotels for long periods.

Pete

armchairsailor

Purely academic at the mo - fam wants to move back to the UK, and finding a bargain to take over might be a way of getting something suitable for a 14 year old, 6'2" offspring. He's ruled out doing a transat, but I've not...

Halcyon Yachts

The main advantage of doing a yacht delivery by sea is that the yacht can be collected and dropped off in any port you wish. Transporting by ship can only be done on very specific routes and set times. It is also generally quite a bit cheaper to sail the yacht back across and as long as the yacht is up to the journey wear and tear will be minimal.

It's also a great opportunity to join the delivery skipper and have a trip of your lifetime!

Pete

Koeketiene

The main advantage of doing a yacht delivery by sea is that the yacht can be collected and dropped off in any port you wish. Transporting by ship can only be done on very specific routes and set times. It is also generally quite a bit cheaper to sail the yacht back across and as long as the yacht is up to the journey wear and tear will be minimal.

It's also a great opportunity to join the delivery skipper and have a trip of your lifetime!

Pete
Does this read like 'if it breaks, it's not our fault' to anyone else?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
...finding a bargain to take over might be a way of getting something suitable for a 14 year old, 6'2" offspring. He's ruled out doing a transat, but I've not...
So if the boat's for a fourteen year old who even now is not interested in ocean passage making, why go to the expense of buying an ocean capable yacht for him? A coastal cruiser bought at this side would be cheaper and prove more suited to his needs.
Of course, if the story of 'it's for the offspring' is how you're selling it to the wife, let me know and I'll delete this post.

TernVI

A returning family can avoid import VAT and duty at least potentially, so the bargains may be worth a look.
DYOR obviously.