Prep for Antifoul

Stemar

Visit site
I haven't antifouled for years, but On High has decreed that the bottom of the boat will change colour, so we'll have grey antifoul and a black boot top. The bottom isn't in bad nick - no flaky bits and reasonably smooth, but there's a brown layer on the bits that sit in the mud at low tide. It's pretty hard - comes off with a scraper, but not easily; a commercial jetwash doesn't touch it.

Is there a) an easy way to remove it or b) any reason for knackering myself to take it off?

Also, how fussy do I need to be with boot top prep?

The plan is to do the boot top first, then the antifoul, as I reckon the boot top will take masking tape better than eroding antifoul. Is that correct?

Final question - I need to change the log through-hull; I'm putting in a Nasa electronic log sensor. Best goop for that? Again, I've done it, but it was a long time ago!

Thanks everyone

Neeves

Visit site
I have been told by helicopter pilots that when you are inverted grey will be the colour of the sea.

I might suggest to the Owner that red is a better choice and is a better contrast to her black boot top and the white gel coat - but it is a very personal choice.

IMG_9759.jpeg

johnalison

Visit site
My policy is that if mud or anything sticks that well to whatever is under it, then it is not going to come off if I paint over it. My A/F gets a bit of scalling where the keel sits in the mud occasionally and I have not noticed the AF failing to adhere after a pressure wash and light scrub with a Scotch pad.