Premier Gosport

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Thinking about moving there in the spring, its been a while since I have there by boat.

I would be interested to know what the place is currently like regarding

Shelter and depths in berths
The facilities
Car parking
Hardstanding arrangements

Thanks

PS I know the trip down the A32 from Fareham only too well!

dom

Visit site
I've kept boat(s) here for years.
PM me if you want and more than happy to give you my number for a chat. Basically, I really like it.

On the plus side:
  1. Nice people - always helpful
  2. Quick exit to harbour
  3. Depths fine now after dredging (ask which pontoons have just been dredged if important)
  4. Shelter is good, but avoid at all costs the end near the Clipper boats. It is exposed to harbour wash and can be very noisy!
  5. Much better since Wellcome took over.
  6. Nice atmosphere

The minuses:
  1. Road down from Fareham
  2. Restaurants and pubs in Gosport still iffy
  3. Facilities are okay but still not as good as the girls would like

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I've kept boat(s) here for years.
PM me if you want and more than happy to give you my number for a chat. Basically, I really like it.

On the plus side:
  1. Nice people - always helpful
  2. Quick exit to harbour
  3. Depths fine now after dredging (ask which pontoons have just been dredged if important)
  4. Shelter is good, but avoid at all costs the end near the Clipper boats. It is exposed to harbour wash and can be very noisy!
  5. Much better since Wellcome took over.
  6. Nice atmosphere

The minuses:
  1. Road down from Fareham
  2. Restaurants and pubs in Gosport still iffy
  3. Facilities are okay but still not as good as the girls would like

Thank you for that, will get in contact with them and see if they can advise on what berths would be available.

Looking at Google earth it looks like the better berths could be a bit of a trek from the facilities and the car park, is that an issue?

dom

Visit site
Thank you for that, will get in contact with them and see if they can advise on what berths would be available.

Looking at Google earth it looks like the better berths could be a bit of a trek from the facilities and the car park, is that an issue?

In the summer, portacabin facilities are installed at the main mid-gantry beside the carpark and cafe. However, yes from say my berth right up at the northern end, it's a moderate walk up to the carpark and a bit of a trek up to the main office/facilities block which we rarely visit. I've not found it a problem but then again I don't use the shoreside facilities that much.

BTW one other thing great about Gosport: there are two chandleries, lots of nearby engineering/maintenance support, a Halfords, ToolStation, and in terms of supermarkets: Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Lidl, Aldi, Tesco Metro, and Marks & Sparks all nearby.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I have not kept my own boat there but have visited and have had many client's boats there. I like it. Good staff and easy access straight out from the marina. Probably only downside is the road from the motorway, it can be a bit slow in rush hour.

Zagato

Visit site
My saviour marina a few times when suffering from sea sickness. The Royal Clarence Marina is OK but it's a twenty minute round trip to the facilities through the shops , not great if you get caught short ?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
My saviour marina a few times when suffering from sea sickness. The Royal Clarence Marina is OK but it's a twenty minute round trip to the facilities through the shops , not great if you get caught short ?

I know a couple of people who were going to go there this year but were frustrated by the restrictions being imposed just before when they intended to move.

It is a bit cheaper than its competitors nearer the harbour entrance and is part of the transmanche group but the substantial issue for me is they took it on themselves to prevent non resident berth holders accessing or using thier boats back in December.

ashtead

Visit site
As a Haslar boat would be interested Little Grebe if you have compared with other Gosport marinas ? What are the facilities like and what eateries ? The ones at Haslar are fine but not on a par with other locations . Is Premier cheaper ? I had this thought the facilities were further away ? Is the Wi-fi any good ? Do they let slab sided mobo squeeze into narrow spaces blocking out the light ? Which pontoons are best in terms of fairway width ? Any pontoon liveabords groups ? Who are Wellcome BTW ?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
As a Haslar boat would be interested Little Grebe if you have compared with other Gosport marinas ? What are the facilities like and what eateries ? The ones at Haslar are fine but not on a par with other locations . Is Premier cheaper ? I had this thought the facilities were further away ? Is the Wi-fi any good ? Do they let slab sided mobo squeeze into narrow spaces blocking out the light ? Which pontoons are best in terms of fairway width ? Any pontoon liveabords groups ? Who are Wellcome BTW ?

My home berth is Haslar but at the moment my cup of happiness is not overflowing which why I am looking elsewhere.

Premier Gosport is marginally cheaper than Haslar so it then comes down to which would be better as a home berth and which of the 'benefits' packages are most worthwhile.

From what I have read here 'boatfolk' have been more pragmatic regarding the restrictions which is another consideration.

Edit - Home | Wellcome

Last edited:

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I spent summer 2018 in Haslar and 2019 in Gosport. Both are fantastic marinas with excellent access to open water sailing.
I'd be happy in either and staff at both are friendly and helpful.
If you are deep draft you may have issues at LWS in parts of Gosport. I had occasional issues with a 2m keel, but usually ok to work around.
I like Premier, having been an annual berth holder at Chichester between 1997-2004. They have some good discounts and use of berths at other marinas within their portfolio.
Premier imposed restrictions during the 1st lockdown when I was living aboard, but were pragmatic too. The facilities remained open throughout.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I spent summer 2018 in Haslar and 2019 in Gosport. Both are fantastic marinas with excellent access to open water sailing.
I'd be happy in either and staff at both are friendly and helpful.
If you are deep draft you may have issues at LWS in parts of Gosport. I had occasional issues with a 2m keel, but usually ok to work around.
I like Premier, having been an annual berth holder at Chichester between 1997-2004. They have some good discounts and use of berths at other marinas within their portfolio.
Premier imposed restrictions during the 1st lockdown when I was living aboard, but were pragmatic too. The facilities remained open throughout.

The boat draws 1.95m, my end of the marina was dredged in September 2019 and since then the depth alarm has not gone off so there must be at least 2.5m at LWS.

Before then it was about 1m at CD which was irritating at times.

doris

Visit site
I left Premier a few years ago because of
The people; I'm told that they have now sorted that.
The parking; with the dry sailing racks there was little room and expensive for any crew.
Storage on the hard was very limited
They had installed a daft metering system for electricity.
If the Clipper crews were around the facilities were almost out of bounds.
Haslar was significantly cheaper. I'm told that it is still very negotiable.
The Dredging was always being promised but not happening.
It would seem that some of these have been addressed, which is good, but all??????

Teko

Visit site
Having stayed in both haslar and Premier I found both to be quite rolly!

On one occasion 2 boats w
Either side of a finger rolled and clashed rigging resulting in damage

lustyd

Visit site
I'm just in the process of moving away from Premier Port Solent to Haslar. Reasons are Premier were full so I was constantly moved to different berths and would often come back to my berth having a boat in it. They would then move my boat while I was away, often causing damage. The Premier berths are extremely tight, and that's assuming you're not put in a berth too small for your boat - I was several times and there was not room for fenders between the boats! The fairways in several berths I was put in were not as wide as my boat is long - that's a problem when manoevring.
Upon looking at Haslar, the facilities are less nice, but clean and tidy. The Port Solent ones look posh but poorly maintained and several showers have been broken for years. The staff at Haslar were checking lines of boats while I was there. With their hands. Premier the daily walk around was literally a walk and they didn't even look at the boats, let alone check them. My shore power cable had cut during a storm due to chafe and was lying in the water. Not only did Premier not notice this, they also hadn't noticed the whole pontoon lost power. For a week.
With poor access to the boat, I have zero confidence Premier will look after my boat, tell me about problems, or even notice problems. I saw a post from someone at Haslar this week who had been sent photos to ease their mind during lockdown.
Price is as good as identical between them.
Port Solent does have some great restaurants, and I will miss that. The flip side is actually going sailing I will gain 45 minutes by not motoring down the harbour.
My experience of Gosport Premier is extremely strong tides which make berthing a challenge at certain times. Facilities were fine but limited. Location is not a nice one and the ship moored there is constantly noisy. Lots of wash too making it rolly for a marina.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I'm just in the process of moving away from Premier Port Solent to Haslar. Reasons are Premier were full so I was constantly moved to different berths and would often come back to my berth having a boat in it. They would then move my boat while I was away, often causing damage. The Premier berths are extremely tight, and that's assuming you're not put in a berth too small for your boat - I was several times and there was not room for fenders between the boats! The fairways in several berths I was put in were not as wide as my boat is long - that's a problem when manoevring.
Upon looking at Haslar, the facilities are less nice, but clean and tidy. The Port Solent ones look posh but poorly maintained and several showers have been broken for years. The staff at Haslar were checking lines of boats while I was there. With their hands. Premier the daily walk around was literally a walk and they didn't even look at the boats, let alone check them. My shore power cable had cut during a storm due to chafe and was lying in the water. Not only did Premier not notice this, they also hadn't noticed the whole pontoon lost power. For a week.
With poor access to the boat, I have zero confidence Premier will look after my boat, tell me about problems, or even notice problems. I saw a post from someone at Haslar this week who had been sent photos to ease their mind during lockdown.
Price is as good as identical between them.
Port Solent does have some great restaurants, and I will miss that. The flip side is actually going sailing I will gain 45 minutes by not motoring down the harbour.
My experience of Gosport Premier is extremely strong tides which make berthing a challenge at certain times. Facilities were fine but limited. Location is not a nice one and the ship moored there is constantly noisy. Lots of wash too making it rolly for a marina.

If you are coming to Haslar have you arranged someone to refer you?

IIRC its £500 off your berthing fees...

lustyd

Visit site
I have, sorry. I discussed it with Laundyman before taking the plunge so he's down for the referer :)

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I prefer Haslar to Premier - really nice people. Personally, I also like Gosport, good fruit & veg at the market. Nice cafes at Pumphouse, Craft, & lakeside etc. Good chandlery. All normal shops. Ferry to Pompey. Good strolls or cycle - the cycleway to Fareham is good.

laika

Visit site
If the Clipper crews were around the facilities were almost out of bounds.

I was at Clarence when they were there: Same thing. They managed to repeatedly smash toilets and put cubicles out of action*. The staff were aghast. The women used to use the ladies' as a clubhouse. Everyone at Clarence breathed a sigh of relief when they moved to premier. Clipper training apparently didn't cover marina etiquette.

*I don't know whether the staff based their notion of the culprits on cctv or correlation with times they were "in".

ashtead

Visit site
We like Haslar and G pontoon even has its own net so while we are lockdown our pontoon forum keeps us updadated plus supoort if needed has Been offered by liveabords. H pontoon has the bigger boys but we like G for the community spirit . It mignt be less motion down at C pontoon though if you are smaller. The trick is to select lower berth numbers. The thing they need to do is updates facilities to Lymington standards. The Haslar yacht club is also quite active if of interest .