powerboat level 2 this weekend

jon and michie

Visit site
I take it Darren passed - well done.
if you don't have a boat already the 1 tip I can give you here is when you do get one the chances are unless its a rib is it is going to be higher sided than the rib that you did your course on - Bear in mind when coming in and out of a docking situation etc take into consideration the strength and direction of the wind .

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
I take it Darren passed - well done.
if you don't have a boat already the 1 tip I can give you here is when you do get one the chances are unless its a rib is it is going to be higher sided than the rib that you did your course on - Bear in mind when coming in and out of a docking situation etc take into consideration the strength and direction of the wind .
yes I already have a boar project on the go . most of my experience is from being a diving instructor in Tenerife on ribs . but I have a 23ft sunseeker day cab project , to be honest im note concerned with loading and unloading on a trailer

gordmac

Visit site
yes I already have a boar project on the go . most of my experience is from being a diving instructor in Tenerife on ribs . but I have a 23ft sunseeker day cab project , to be honest im note concerned with loading and unloading on a trailer
I suspect that is a bit big to launch and recover regularly, certainly on your own.

Mr Googler

Visit site
@Mr Googler - what is the make and load capacity of your trailer ? - is it an American one

cheers
It is American. No plate on it but I think they working things out on axles. 3 x 3500 lbs axles from what I can gather so 4.5 ton I think. The whole thing weighs maybe 5.5 to 6 tons inc trailer

Its bloody strong. You can’t handball it empty. No brakes though ? Im looking at options. I think I’m going to drag a block of 6x6 full trailer width wood just behind the rear wheels when coming up the slip. Need some kind of quick release for going down the slip though ?

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Cheers - I am thinking of buying a used trailer for my new boat next year, ( if you sell the boat without trailer ???), it will only be used for pulling it out of the water for winter months and storing it, so will not need to be road legal , on a previous boat I had on park and launch, they removed all the brakes and cables and put them in a cardboard box for when I sold the boat, but they did have tractors to launch with so no emergency brake needed !. The dealer locally has a couple of Aluminium USA style trailers that they use so I know its possible to launch any recover this size of boat ?

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
Nah…I do that on my own

I do have to wear bicycle clips on my trousers to stop the shite running into my shoes but it is possible View attachment 122963View attachment 122966

That’s a ez trailer unless I’m mistaken. It should have hydraulic brakes.
It’s the same as mine.
I’m in Essex. But happy to go most places to be honest. I’d prefer to stay local untill I have launching and retrieval down to a fine art.

mm42

Visit site
Yes for qualification, don't know about his experience.

Highly doubtful. I don’t know anyone who would employ skippers on a job like that with a commercially endorsed PB2, Advanced minimum usually. Also the interim MAIB report states the skipper was highly experienced and qualified.

38mess

Visit site
Highly doubtful. I don’t know anyone who would employ skippers on a job like that with a commercially endorsed PB2, Advanced minimum usually. Also the interim MAIB report states the skipper was highly experienced and qualified.
I know of a few outfits employing pb2 on fast ribs and rescue boats. No problems. Don't get into the mindset of judging guys on the pieces of paper they have.