Povoa de Varzim - Portuguese Residency

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
This is an email reply I had from lawyers
' www.sun-lawyers.com
If you are to apply for you residencia, you will then have to be here a minimum of 183 days as otherwise you will revoke your residencia and what with the high probability of passports going to get stamped, it will be easy to prove.
Kind regards,

This is an email I had from EU
Dear ***************

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

jordanbasset

Visit site
This is an email reply I had from lawyers

' www.sun-lawyers.com

Good afternoon xxxxx

My colleague xxxxx has asked me to contact you.

I can see from your initial email that you are wanting to continue staying in Spain during the winter months.

If you are to apply for you residencia, you will then have to be here a minimum of 183 days as otherwise you will revoke your residencia and what with the high probability of passports going to get stamped, it will be easy to prove.

I you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like a meeting via zoom or even a telephone consultation, we can arrange this.

Have a great afternoon!
Un saludo cordial,
Kind regards,

This is an email I had from EU
Dear ***************

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.​

Sorry, I don't see the relevance to the situation I would be in and outlined, I don't think there is much doubt if you get the ferry between Spain and the UK that post Brexit your exit and entrance will be noted in the system. Agree the situation would be different if travelling between two Schengen countries

greeny

Visit site
Think we have drifted a long way from Portuguese residency in Povoa de Varsim.?

You could but got to ask the question, why would you❓

Residency in one Schengen Zone country will give you unlimited time in that country, plus 90 in 180 days total in any (all) other Schengen Zone countries.

I would be interested to hear of any set of circumstances that the above wouldn’t cover.

Given there are no boarders between Spain, Portugal or France, (or for that matter all of the Schengen Zone) how is Spain going to know where you are❓

This raises the broader question of tracking Brits within the Schengen Zone after 31/12/20❓

Maybe this year I want to spend my time (more than 90 in 180) in Portugal and next year I want to spend my time (more than 90 in 180) in France.
Next year, after Brexit, the French and Spanish may not be so easy on getting temporary residence for us Brits.
It's a 5 yr residencia so you would have access to all the countries at any time for the next 5yrs without having to count the days.
If you are planning on moving around Europe over the next 5 yrs (cruising maybe), then getting the relevant residencias now before Brexit takes full effect may be an advantage.

Graham376

Visit site
Sorry, I don't see the relevance to the situation I would be in and outlined, I don't think there is much doubt if you get the ferry between Spain and the UK that post Brexit your exit and entrance will be noted in the system. Agree the situation would be different if travelling between two Schengen countries

If you were to get Portuguese residence, according to the EU, passports should not be stamped in countries of transit such as arriving/departing Spain so doubt they would know how long you had spent there.

steveallan

Visit site
If you were to get Portuguese residence, according to the EU, passports should not be stamped in countries of transit such as arriving/departing Spain so doubt they would know how long you had spent there.
May not be stamped but will almost certainly be scanned into their database.

nortada

Visit site
Maybe this year I want to spend my time (more than 90 in 180) in Portugal and next year I want to spend my time (more than 90 in 180) in France.
Next year, after Brexit, the French and Spanish may not be so easy on getting temporary residence for us Brits.

It's a 5 yr residencia so you would have access to all the countries at any time for the next 5yrs without having to count the days. (Don't understand this line?)

If you are planning on moving around Europe over the next 5 yrs (cruising maybe), then getting the relevant residencies now before Brexit takes full effect may be an advantage.

Whilst a possible scenario, I think it unlikely that many will wish to follow it. Most are happy to have a single country as an EU operating base and then cruise up to 90 days in 180 days in other EU countries. Residency in a single EU country meets this is aim.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Whilst a possible scenario, I think it unlikely that many will wish to follow it. Most are happy to have a single country as an EU operating base and then cruise up to 90 days in 180 days in other EU countries. Residency in a single EU country meets this is aim.
Agreed but multiple residencia is an option that may suit some lifestyles and you asked for an example.

t's a 5 yr residencia so you would have access to all the countries at any time for the next 5yrs without having to count the days. (Don't understand this line?

Sorry probably not clear what I meant. It made sense when I wrote it, :) - As you know,if you get a temporary residencia in a country it's for 5yrs. So while you're in that country you will not be subject to the 90 in 180 limit. The more countries you have residencia in, the more options of countries you can stay in without counting the days.
Some time ago (not any longer) I owned property in Portugal, France and Spain and I would have certainly been looking at this to keep my options open.

nortada

Visit site
Agreed but multiple residencia is an option that may suit some lifestyles and you asked for an example.

t's a 5 yr residencia so you would have access to all the countries at any time for the next 5yrs without having to count the days. (Don't understand this line?

Sorry probably not clear what I meant. It made sense when I wrote it, :) - As you know,if you get a temporary residencia in a country it's for 5yrs. So while you're in that country you will not be subject to the 90 in 180 limit. The more countries you have residencia in, the more options of countries you can stay in without counting the days.
Some time ago (not any longer) I owned property in Portugal, France and Spain and I would have certainly been looking at this to keep my options open.

Thanks for the clarification. ✔

Graham376

Visit site
Went down to Faro Camara this morning to collect a 5 year residence application form for friend. All departments closed and forms have to be completed on line and they then phone applicant with time/date of appointment. Strange thing is, the contact details supplied were for SEF (immigration dept) not for local authority as before.