'Pots' and Nets - encouraging news

soaringalbatross

Visit site
\'Pots\' and Nets - encouraging news

I have posted the following story elsewhere but feel, whilst most press is bad, there maybe some hope for better relations between fishermen earning a difficult living and us pleasure boaters. I am in no doubt that this is a contentious and difficult issue and I myself until now have not been a fan of fishermen but I hope the following story may be the beginning of better relations between people who use the sea for a living and those who use it for pleasure.

My home sailing grounds are between the Goodwin sands and the East Kent shoreline between Ramsgate and Dover. There are a dwindling amount of local fishermen eaking a living from the sea. As a result, whatever their speciality, either crabs, lobsters or fish they use the tools of their trade; pots and nets. There has been a lot of discussion, usually bad press about the way they mark their tools and to be honest until recently I have not been a great fan of theirs. But, this weekend I went to Calais and had to battle the pots and nets in the Ramsgate Channel which runs off shore between Ramsgate and Deal. The pots are marked with items from, ballcocks to significant brightly coloured buoys. I'd managed to miss all the pots, (my engine was still running and my prop wasn't fouled) when I was approached by a fishing boat. He hailed me and chatted on the VHF. He advised me that he had just laid some nets and they were marked with some very visible flags and radar reflectors. He told me he had laid three sets of nets (across the channel), the ends of which were marked with the flags. I could see them. He then asked me to follow him to clear the nets. I did. When we were past the nets he thanked me for my co-operation and wished me well. I replied "no, my thanks to you for advising me of the danger and guiding me past your nets"

The point to this story.... We (us baoting fraternity) all use the sea for pleasure or livelyhood. It is very refreshing and good for relations when we communicate peacfully our intentions and the dangers increasing the harmony between pleasure and livleyhood. I raise my glass to the fishermen who, above and beyond the call of duty, informed and guided me of and around the dangers.

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: \'Pots\' and Nets - encouraging news

Nice to hear a postive story for once. It was probably to his advantage to avoid his nets being fouled, and we could do with a few more like him.

soaringalbatross

Visit site

I'm sure it was in his interests that I didn't foul his nets. I've nearly fouled nets in the Ramsgate Channel before. I believe it's about education; both for pleasure users and fishermen. I've learnt that, here in the channel, if I see a raised flag then look for another. When I've located both go outside one or the other. To some this may seem obvious, but if you are new to sailing then you don't neccessarily know this.

There are problems here with pot marking. Some are well marked and others are definately not.

BrendanS

Visit site

You are correct, when I'm out and see a mark, I look for pairs, then go outside both, or sometimes multiples. At least if marked well

hshaky

Visit site

We need some encouragement as Lobster pots are a nightmare on our stretch, from Solent to Falmouth and out to the Channel Lights. Even pots around the channel light extended area. The markers range from Old dark coloured oil plastic containers to, would you believe it, new orange markers.

It is the pick up ropes which run anything up to 12 feet or more from the buoy and are so small as to be invisible in a flow or a choppy sea.

At least the Frenchies mark most of theirs with a flag on a stick, which can be seen.

Did I wrongly read into the report of the two holiday makers lost in the Solent, a few weeks ago, that their rib foulded a "fishing line" ie to me a lobster pot. This appears to have stopped the boat instantly which may have caused them to be ejected over the top. I may be wrong but if not what a situation that would be for some one to explain.

Does anyone know better as in these days of Litigation someone is going to have a field day with "the owner" of the pot and gear judged negligent.

peter60

Visit site

Sir thank you for that comment. I have just spent a couple of hours adding what little I know after 55 years at sea to these forums in the hope that I have helped people to have a safer and more pleasurable time afloat. I come from a fishing family and have personaly been involved over the years with several rescues of pleasure boats most of whome have been gratefull but some who have not. as you have stated try to see things from both sides and HELP eachother to enjoy the sea if you do it for pleasure and remember that fishing is THE most dangerous occupation on earth. Remember that the next time you have fish and chipe

Other threads that may be of interest