Potential solution for a leisurely cruse to the med?

steve yates

Visit site
You may need to show it, but you don't have to spend it. Besides, I am fairly certain that
Income is counted, it doesn't necessarily have to be a lump sum. So you could have less but also show an income stream that together with cash in bank covers the daily minimum..

steve yates

Visit site
That would depend on Gib's status when the dust settles. They're joining Schengen so might not be as good an option as you think depending on how VAT rules land
Ah, I hadn't realised they were joining the schengen area! That would change things, though not sure the vat will make any difference until the 18 months are up. Saying that, the boat was purchased for under 5k, so if we have to pay vat it won't be the end of the world.

lustyd

Visit site
That being the case I’d probably just pay the VAT so the issue goes away. It’s still a fair whack of cash but takes a lot of faff out of the trip.

syvictoria

Visit site
But you will need 1/4 that for your basic 90 day Schengen entry anyway.

Not if a UK passport holder as we don't require a VISA for 90/180 entry into Schengen. Ed. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Sorry!

And re: VAT, the boat only needs to exit EU waters once every 18 months max to reset the clock, so paying even £1,000 for EU VAT may perhaps be a slightly drastic measure.

Last edited:

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Not if a UK passport holder as we don't require a VISA for 90/180 entry into Schengen.
UK passport holders don't need a visa but are assessed at point of entry. Entry is no longer automatically granted as it would be to an EU passport holder.
You may need to show that you have medical insurance, sufficient funds and no criminal record. The advisory states €120 per day if you don't have booked hotel accommodation.

syvictoria

Visit site
UK passport holders don't need a visa but are assessed at point of entry. Entry is no longer automatically granted as it would be to an EU passport holder.
You may need to show that you have medical insurance, sufficient funds and no criminal record. The advisory states €120 per day if you don't have booked hotel accommodation.

You are of course quite correct. Sorry, I clearly haven't engaged my brain this morning! (I've edited my post above.)

Kelpie

Visit site
We are also eyeing this up as a backup plan, in case we don't get away in time for a sensible Biscay crossing. Canals look possible, although we're a bit on the large side.

In addition to the French long stay visa it appears that I, as an EU citizen, can get a visa for my immediate family, so I have two possible ways around the 90 day problem.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I doubt every package holiday tourist, boater or campervanner is going to have to prove how much they have in the bank or provide a police cro report.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I doubt every package holiday tourist, boater or campervanner is going to have to prove how much they have in the bank or provide a police cro report.
Neither do I. If you've seen one of the tv shows about immigration you'll know that the majority of people are not questioned in depth. But any who are may not be granted entry if they fail to satisfy the officials.
So I'm guessing package holiday makers on a charter flight will not be troubled. But the odd yachtsman arriving and asking for 90 days... Not so sure.

nortada

Visit site
Neither do I. If you've seen one of the tv shows about immigration you'll know that the majority of people are not questioned in depth. But any who are may not be granted entry if they fail to satisfy the officials.
So I'm guessing package holiday makers on a charter flight will not be troubled. But the odd yachtsman arriving and asking for 90 days... Not so sure.

Think it will depend on where you arrive.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Given the French take absolutely no notice of Schengen rules and allow very large numbers of undocumented migrants to set up near permanent squatter camps.... Why should anyone bother worrying about a 90 day stay?

syvictoria

Visit site
Given the French take absolutely no notice of Schengen rules and allow very large numbers of undocumented migrants to set up near permanent squatter camps.... Why should anyone bother worrying about a 90 day stay?

Yet another contemptible post from you. Will you please stop comparing tourists with homeless refugees! :mad:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Yet another contemptible post from you. Will you please stop comparing tourists with homeless refugees! :mad:

I am talking about official process. Undocumented migrants and tourists overstaying their visa both fall within the same remit of process.. they are both unauthorised people who have no rights to stay. Indeed a tourist who overstays their visa looks on a boat or motorhome pretty much like a homeless person in terms of due process.

But we must not let facts get in the way of naive politically correct lack of analytical thinking.

nortada

Visit site
But creeping in the back door isn't necessarily going to help if you need a Schengen 90/180 passport stamp...

Crashing against the arrivals pontoon of a recognized Port-of-Entry is hardly creeping in the back door but possibly true.

Having done a bit of research.

To date the details of arrivals by sea are recorded and possibly sent to SEF but the port(s) of entry do not have the capacity to stamp passports. Nor do they expect anything to change in the near future.

They do keep comprehensive details of boats in their marina and require you to 'sign' out with your next port of call but where this departure information went, wasn't known.

In the past, as a precaution, I always nominated Tangiers but in these changed times, for maximum flexibility, I will probably use 'at anchor in the River Guadiana'.

From experience, the port of departure doesn't give a rats arse. Once leaving Rota my next port of call was South Georgia, which elicited, "Have a nice sail!"

Pitched up in Chipiona about 3 hours later to, "Did you have a good trip?"

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I am talking about official process. Undocumented migrants and tourists overstaying their visa both fall within the same remit of process.. they are both unauthorised people who have no rights to stay. Indeed a tourist who overstays their visa looks on a boat or motorhome pretty much like a homeless person in terms of due process.

But we must not let facts get in the way of naive politically correct lack of analytical thinking.
Technically I think genuine refugees have more in the way of rights than people overstaying visas, once both processes are underway.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Possibly true but having done a bit of research.

To date the details of arrivals by sea are recorded and sent to SEF but the port(s) of entry do not have the capacity to stamp passports. Nor do they expect anything to change in the near future.

Knowing Portuguese mindset, I can't see that continuing for long, wouldn't be surprised if they turn the clock back and make us visit police, as they did in the past. Will be real fun with routine PM inspections if visitors passports not stamped. Everyone I've asked about various post Brexit rules had the same reply - we don't know yet, no new instructions.

nortada

Visit site
Knowing Portuguese mindset, I can't see that continuing for long, wouldn't be surprised if they turn the clock back and make us visit police, as they did in the past. Will be real fun with routine PM inspections if visitors passports not stamped. Everyone I've asked about various post Brexit rules had the same reply - we don't know yet, no new instructions.

But I thought, residents didn't have to get their passports stamped by their host country?

In 19 years in Portugal, nobody has shown much interest in my passport - even come and gone through Faro, when it was busy and nobody even looked at my passport.

But as you say - things good change in the future but I have my doubts.

Hey, Scuttlebutt, aren't we in the wrong forum ;)