Potential solution for a leisurely cruse to the med?

Forty_Two

Visit site
If staying in France for say 9 months with the long stay tourist visa & not applying for residency, would one have to complete a tax return in France having stayed over 182 days in a tax year or is there an exemption in this case?

And what happens if you do this several years in a row, completing a French tax return would not be most folks choice unless going for residency i would have thought.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
You miss the point, I love France, I want to spend a long time in Brittany exploring it. I also want to reach the med, I'm trying to do both without going home every 3 months out of 6.
As I see it, exploring Brittany and getting to the Med are two separate entities. 2012 I cruised Brittany, 2013 Galicia. Getting to the Med is a project in its own right.

steve yates

Visit site
If staying in France for say 9 months with the long stay tourist visa & not applying for residency, would one have to complete a tax return in France having stayed over 182 days in a tax year or is there an exemption in this case?

And what happens if you do this several years in a row, completing a French tax return would not be most folks choice unless going for residency i would have thought.
You can't do it several years in a row, you can only do it once. After the 12 months are up you are back to schengen from then on or you must apply for temporary residency.
I doubt if they will make tourists complete a French tax return, as they are supposed to be self funding and not working in France! But even if it was required, that's fine. There is no vat issue until 18 months, at which point we would be well into the med and able to move out for a day. However vat wouldn't be a big deal for us, the boat cost under £5k, I'll happy pay vat on that for the convenience of leaving her where I want.

steve yates

Visit site
I haven’t read this entire thread, so I hope that I’m not duplicating, but there is a UK government petition running (not particularly well worded but there we are) to request that the Government negotiates reciprocal travel rights for UK citizens in Europe - essentially to improve upon 90/180 post Brexit. If interested to support see here: Petition: Negotiate more favorable post-transition travel rules for U.K. citizens
Well that's waste of time, it was offered and they turned it down, but regardless, they will have a whole sea of troubles from this deal, and tourists who can afford 6 months holidays will not be on their radar :)

blampied

Visit site
Possible solution?
Would it be too simple to think, if as a previous reply stated, Gibraltar has joined the Schengan area?
As Brits we have the right to move to/live in Gib. Maybe a group get together, share the rent costs of a small bed sit or similar, in all the names. That would make all the names Gib residents therefore members of the EU schengan area. Looks like the Gibs don’t even need a passport for travel within Schengan just a Gib ID card, and I’d have thought if a gib passport needed then it should be simply a matter of filling out a form and handing over £45 to swap your UK passport for a Gib uk passpor?
Or am I missing something, is that too simplistic, can it really be that simple?

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Possible solution?
Would it be too simple to think, if as a previous reply stated, Gibraltar has joined the Schengan area?
As Brits we have the right to move to/live in Gib. Maybe a group get together, share the rent costs of a small bed sit or similar, in all the names. That would make all the names Gib residents therefore members of the EU schengan area. Looks like the Gibs don’t even need a passport for travel within Schengan just a Gib ID card, and I’d have thought if a gib passport needed then it should be simply a matter of filling out a form and handing over £45 to swap your UK passport for a Gib uk passpor?
Or am I missing something, is that too simplistic, can it really be that simple?
If that works you can put my name down for a share.

BoyBlue49

Visit site
There are many Brits living on their barges or motor cruisers in Holland, Belgium, and France with a few in Germany. They tend to move about a bit throughout all 3 or 4 countries 12 months of the year, year on year. Some spend the winter in southern France, some in Belgium and some in Holland. Most of the vessels are EU paid VAT and are unlikely to leave the EU.

Does the brains trust here have any idea how these folk will be able to stay unmolested in their way of life ?
My excuse for asking is possible future plans.

syvictoria

Visit site
There are many Brits living on their barges or motor cruisers in Holland, Belgium, and France with a few in Germany. They tend to move about a bit throughout all 3 or 4 countries 12 months of the year, year on year. Some spend the winter in southern France, some in Belgium and some in Holland. Most of the vessels are EU paid VAT and are unlikely to leave the EU.

Does the brains trust here have any idea how these folk will be able to stay unmolested in their way of life ?

Sadly, they will need (or will have already arranged) to jump through the same hoops as those who wish to sail round the coast, i.e.: dual citizenship, residency, or a long stay tourist visa (if available). They may also require separate visa's for work.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

If obtaining residence will still be an option, a couple could take it up but, each in different countries. That may allow both to have unlimited stay in two countries under the "accompanying spouse" rules and 90/180 elsewhere.