Pot buoys - is it only me?

cynthia

Visit site
The darned things seem to be magnetic, specially those pretty pale blue ones without a flag! Not that I want our fishermen to go hungry, but are there any rules about how they are laid and when? I am particulary unappreciative of those which lurk near the marina entrance after dark even though they make such a pretty pattern on white GRP hulls.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Damn things seem to pop out of no-where what troubles me is the fact that they seem to lay them on heavily used Courses. Cutters do the trick though and I guess the Lobsters would rather starve to death down there than be boiled alive.

©2001

cynthia

Visit site
Essential kit

Don't worry, the stripper is working overtime - and not only on the stern line that went overboard the first time we sailed this season! (Ever felt an idiot? New marina, new boat, new audience!)

johndf

Visit site
Re: Essential kit - rules

I think that the only rule about where to put pot buoys is to make sure that they are laid anywhere where yachts are likely to be. At least well out to sea, they are usually large enough to be seen and avoided (by day), but inshore they seem to be almost invisible at times.

In summary, I agree they are a total menace.

mldpt

Visit site
My Auto pilot seems to be able to spot them miles off, and makes straight for them, even if it does mean going of course a bit.
Mike

hlb

RIP
Visit site
And I Thought It Was Me

I'd got to thinking that this GPS thing was all a con.
My boat navigates by lobster buoys. %0 miles out and its still finding them even if it has to swerve a bit.
I've been stopped dead by them from 20 knots.

Haydn

G

Rope cutters are fine until the fishermen start to use wire risers!

G

Leave the poor fishermen alone....by boat has a tast for their pots the stripper loves them...its even had a go at the odd mooring chain...seriously they are bad news in a blow in bad weather it aint funny.
Dave

tony_brighton

Visit site
I've got a nice pick-up buoy courtesy of a lobster pot I attracted off the Owers. Absolutely had to cut it free (by hand) as it was wrapped around the rudder. Usual problem - laid low by the tidal stream and very hard to see. Even worse on the way back when looking directly into the sun.

G

Tony
Why are you not at work? should be hard at it not like me loafing around the internet.....lol
Dave

G

I agree Tony
Im one of the fortunate ones that work from home on the internet,so I can pop in at anytime
Have a good day
Dave