Posting things to Portugal

Jungle Jim

Visit site
If you have an 'odd' address like 'the third boat from the left, Pontoon C' it is worth making friends with a local cafe owner and getting anything sent there, the posties don't always try very hard to find out-of-the-way places.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
For something that important I'd use a courier, or at least a tracked service and try to use the marina office address.

+1

Royal Mail can take 10 - 14 days for a Jiffy bag, Special Delivery may be quicker and more secure but if you're not there to sign for it, will have to pick it up from sorting office. Named person such as marina manager may be best delivery address.

Quiddle

Visit site
Probably a bit late for the OP but for future reference CTT (Portuguese Post Office) offer a Poste Restante service where items can be collected for a small fee from the local office. Google will translate.
Lojas CTT

Just had a nightmare trying to use it and ended up redirecting my parcel to a marina after it spent a month in purgatory, but maybe I was unlucky? Have used similar services in France and Spain with no problems.

Graham376

Visit site
For those on the Algarve, Algarve Express is the best option. Have stuff posted to their UK address and it will be on theThursday van and ready for collection at Almancil the following Tuesday or, it can be delivered at extra cost. Recently had 150kg of mooring chain, shackles, swivels etc sent out from UK for €50. For those who can't do without their weekly UK food, they bring out Waitrose and Sainsbury baskets for around €15o_O

In Faro, we can also use the sailing club as delivery address for small items.

Sailfree

Visit site
Just to add.

Make sure anything you need from UK is delivered before 1st jan as after then local taxes vat and if applicable import duty will be payable.

I ordered 2 gillete plus razers from US. 1 delivered to UK and 1 to portugal. Only a $30 item. UK applied vat. Portugal applied vat plus an import tax making it considerably dearer.

Nature of these threads someone will be along in a minute saying under law no 547 subsection C part ii no import duty was due. Only saying what I paid. Personally i was surprise that any charges were added to such a small value item.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Make sure anything you need from UK is delivered before 1st jan as after then local taxes vat and if applicable import duty will be payable.
I ordered 2 gillete plus razers from US. 1 delivered to UK and 1 to portugal. Only a $30 item. UK applied vat. Portugal applied vat plus an import tax making it considerably dearer.
Nature of these threads someone will be along in a minute saying under law no 547 subsection C part ii no import duty was due. Only saying what I paid personally i was surprise that any charges were added to such a small value item.

Well, if we look up the law..:D I found exactly the same as you, camera lens from US virtually doubled in price after duty and VAT applied.

Will have to source EU suppliers next year to avoid having to mess around with customs clearance and extra duties. Amazon UK can apply local rather than UK taxes on exports but doubt many smaller ebay suppliers will be geared up for it.

nortada

Visit site
Well, if we look up the law..:D I found exactly the same as you, camera lens from US virtually doubled in price after duty and VAT applied.

Will have to source EU suppliers next year to avoid having to mess around with customs clearance and extra duties. Amazon UK can apply local rather than UK taxes on exports but doubt many smaller ebay suppliers will be geared up for it.

Amazon (Spain), gets around all of the problems and delivery to Portugal is cheaper.

Just set up a Spanish account. The house in Ayamonte provides a Spanish mailing address.

Suppose it would be possible to setup an Amazon mailing address in Portugal❓

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
To get boat bits, Ayamar Chandlery in Ayamonte could be another possibility. They are now licensed to supply flares and I understand they hope to restart weekly deliveries along the Algarve in the near future❓

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Amazon (Spain), gets around all of the problems and delivery to Portugal is cheaper.

Just set up a Spanish account. The house in Ayamonte provides a Spanish mailing address.

Suppose it would be possible to setup an Amazon mailing address in Portugal❓
Yes, I've had deliveries from Amazon Spain to my Portugal address no problem. Had to join Amazon Spain as I couldn't seem to get anywhere using my UK Amazon details.