Post script

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm of the view that, as the 2021 Jester Azores Challenge gets under way in Plymouth Sound - with a brisk NE'er to speed them on their way, this 'signal' from Ewen Southby-Tailyour bears a wider audience.

Good afternoon Jester Challenge skippers, families and supporters,

As those of you who were in Mayflower Marina last night might imagine this is not an easy signal to compose. As you have probably heard enough from me over the last 16 years I shall try and keep this very short indeed.

I must start by promising George, Bernie and Hamish that I quite genuinely knew nothing in advance; which of course made the surprise even more of a surprise! Even Patricia’s arrival, and not in her gardening clothes, did not have me guessing that something was afoot!

I’m not often overwhelmed, but the comments in the amazing book, the signals received and the observations in Black Velvet’s visitors book are more than touching and hardly deserved at the level they have been pitched. As I have said often, I’m just the mutt who collected the names and fired the gun, after that it is you skippers who have given the Jester Challenge its remarkable reputation in the international sailing world. If they/you had messed it up then all my nice words about ‘self-reliance, self-sufficiency and personal responsibility’ would have been for naught. So, a massive Bravo Zulu to all you skippers, your families and your supporters.

As I said last night but must confirm again: it was not actually my idea. That accolade belongs to Trevor Leak to whom much praise should be given for laying down the first challenge. I then saw it as my job, in naval parlance, to ‘make it so’ with, of course, a nod to Blondie whose original ‘non-rules’ were easy to adapt. Naturally, Mike Richey and Val Howells’s unflagging support gave the much-needed initial impetus.

As we all know there were a number of ‘begrudgers’ along the way in the early days so another of my tasks was to act as a buffer between them and the skippers. All I can say now is that it has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life to be involved with such marvellous people who, much more than me, ‘made it happen’. Over the years the ‘begrudgers’, envious of your remarkable record of fine seamanship, coupled to wise decisions made in good time, have faded away....! and, if I may say so, I think the yachting press have finally come to realise that ‘seamanship not showmanship’ is the way ahead. Touch wood, (Good Report?) your remarkable success rate proves that and will continue to enhance this reputation.

The seriously magnificent book you gave me (which, so far I have only skimmed though) will give huge pleasure by sustaining wonderful memories of delightfully eccentric characters over the coming years, whether by the winter’s log fire or the summer’s sun-drenched roses. It already sits in a very special ‘pride of place’ where, perhaps immodestly, visitors to the house can see it. It really is a wonderful record which I shall treasure always. Thank you all.

I must also thank George for organising last night’s dinner (which was delicious even if I did have to face an Australian across the table while putting up with his ‘barracking’!). I am not sure who organised the Black Velvet cocktails beforehand, but it was more than welcome and so huge thanks for that too.

There’s not much more to say now, except I’m thrilled with the three fine, steady helmsmen who are already moving the Jester Challenge towards even greater heights.

All being well, I shall be on the start line tomorrow, but without the baby powder for various gunsmith-oriented reasons.

So I wish everyone fine moons’l sailing tomorrow as well as through all the years ahead during which I know (we all know) the Jester Challenge will continue to flourish.

Moons’ls and with unbounded thanks,

Ewen
[/QUOTE
]

The 'begrudgers' and the 'nannies' will no doubt continue their cavilling, despite the clear fact that 'Jestering', over 17 years so far, has not brought down on us a shoal of disasters. Nary a one. That can only be down to the people involved, and their approach to seamanship. The culture of 'No Rules' other than those we set ourselves has brought some remarkable outcomes. Perhaps the dozen or so 'Jesters' now on their way 'Towards' the Azores, just as those who have gone before, will act as inspiration to many others.