post-cancer boat buying crisis

graham

Visit site
Thing to remember is a boat can look fantastic cosmetically but be a non starter if the main components are worn out.

Try to purchase a boat that has a recent engine replacement sails with life left in them and recent standing rigging.

Those 3 items could easily cost more to replace than the value of the boat.

Stemar

Visit site
Grahams's comments will be important when you get to the point of spending money, but for now what matters is Wauquiez or Westerly - or whatever. Presumably you aren't looking to win any races, so accommodation would be a priority when sorting out possible models of boat. Separate cabins for you and your son could help him to keep wanting to come with you, but they are a bit of a rarity on older boats. The aft cabin on the Westerly Pentland always struck me as ideal for a grumpy teenager to hide with his tablet (not suggesting your son is anything less than an angel, but teenage boys...!) That could be a good boat in other ways - tough as old boots, and sails far better than their rather staid looks suggest.

Bajansailor

Visit site
On the subject of Centurions, here is a thread I started 13 years ago about some pals who arrived here (Barbados) with theirs (and their baby daughter) from the Cabo Verde islands
They are now in New Zealand, having sailed the whole way on Vadis.
Living the dream...... with a Centurion 32

They are very nice, and excellent sea boats, but condition is paramount, as others have mentioned above.
Ideally you want to get a boat (it does not HAVE to be a Centurion) for a 'reasonable' price, with fairly recent sails, engine and rigging - and even better if the electronics are fairly recent as well.

Wansworth

Visit site
Talking to a friend about him buying a secondhand boat I told him ti include the price of a new engine etc and standing rigging to get a realistic price if he intended t go places and wasn’t good at fixing engines

Stemar

Visit site
Standing rigging age isn't quite as good as anchors for starting fights, but it's always good for a bundle between "your mast will fall down as soon as the rigging gets to 15 years old" and "I still have the original rigging on my 50 year old boat". Personally, I'd take a position about halfway between the two for a cruising boat but, when working out my offer, I'd reckon on knocking the cost of standing rigging off any boat where there's no proof of it being less than 10 or so years old.

L_555

Visit site
Thanka all. We took a little trip to the seaside this weekend to have a quick look at some boats in between playing on the beach and cathing no fish. We saw a Beneteau First 285, Dufour 2800 and Wauqiez Elizabethan 29. The Ben having 2 cabins, meant the living space was tiny. The Dufour was ok, but there was quite a bit of 'this was my own way of doing the solar power', so I imagine that there would end up being quite a bit to undo as well as re-do. The Elizabethan is a beautiful boat but this one was in a very poor state- the guy basically bought it for the precious mooring spot in Marseille (beautiful city by the way- well worth a visit).
It was a very worthwhile trip though because it made it clear to me that although the Elizabathan would be doable, with a 7 year old and a rescue dog who was supposed to be a 'maximum' of 25 kgs and is already 31kgs at 7 months, we really need something between 30-33ft.
I also think that as is the way with cars in France, boats are generally over-priced in comparison to the UK/Holland and scandi countries. Also, as is the way with houses in France, people very rarely get a survey done and when they do they are expensive (1k+ for a 28ft boat) . For me, it would be a necessity. With that in mind, I thing I will concentrate more on the UK for the search, perhaps asking one of you nice people to do an initial visit, then having a survey done and then self-isolating on the boat if those rules are still in place by the time we come.
Could someone please clarify the post-brexit no deal situation? I note many people have said it is where the boat is on Dec 31st, so it is more the location then than the flag it is under? My thoughts are leaning towards an Irish registration- the French seem to have many more rules and regs in place (red tape is the order of the day here).
On a side note, the pup learnt that he could swim and made his way quite happily around the boats, as did the 7 year old.

laika

Visit site
Could someone please clarify the post-brexit no deal situation? I note many people have said it is where the boat is on Dec 31st, so it is more the location then than the flag it is under?

That's my (possibly flawed) understanding from the RYA page on brexit: Brexit - what happens next? | Current Affairs | Knowledge & Advice | RYA - Royal Yachting Association
One of the FAQs on this page addresses this. They seem to have restructured the site so the "No deal brexit" link in the side bar doesn't point to any useful info.

To point out the obvious, if you buy in the UK/France you then have to get the boat to the med.

Others on here may be able to advise what the market is like in Greece if you feel that taking a short holiday there and looking would be an option.

Surveys are a good plan because (a) peace of mind, (b) even a "ready to go" boat will have minor things which need doing and a survey gives you a task list and (c) people often get the cost of the survey back in reductions in agreed price based on things the surveyor finds, although obviously with a high cost survey and low cost boat this becomes less likely.

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
12 yrs ago we took friends out for a weekend sailing on our Jeanneau 43 DS.

They decided they wanted a boat and were going sailing. No previous experience.

They asked me about choice of boat. Like cars all boats are a compromise and I did not want my choice to influence them so I introduced them to this forum and they posted their wants and wishes.

After posting on here they finally bought a Jeanneau 40DS.

Many talk about doing things and spend 10yrs preparing and never doing the great adventure.

To my utter surprise the next contact I heard they were sailing around the med!

Little experience and they learnt navigation on the way.

They spent about 18 months in med. Since then they regularly go off sailing and have been to Azores and Canary Isles.

Some would say they were foolhardy but they decided to have a go ,started sailing from Port to Port and the rest as they say is history.

I would recommend getting some experience of sailing and navigation first especially if single handed but go for it!

Good luck.

bedouin

Visit site
Some would say they were foolhardy but the decided to have a go ,started sailing from Port to Port and the rest as they say is history.

I would recommend getting some experience of sailing and navigation first especially if single handed but go for it!

Good luck.
Sailing port to port is very different to sailing round the world. Provided you listen to the weather forecast and have the right equipment there really isn't much to go seriously wrong.

Effectively that is what most of us do when we get our first boat - venturing further as our confidence grows.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanka all. We took a little trip to the seaside this weekend to have a quick look at some boats in between playing on the beach and cathing no fish. We saw a Beneteau First 285, Dufour 2800 and Wauqiez Elizabethan 29. The Ben having 2 cabins, meant the living space was tiny. The Dufour was ok, but there was quite a bit of 'this was my own way of doing the solar power', so I imagine that there would end up being quite a bit to undo as well as re-do. The Elizabethan is a beautiful boat but this one was in a very poor state- the guy basically bought it for the precious mooring spot in Marseille (beautiful city by the way- well worth a visit).
It was a very worthwhile trip though because it made it clear to me that although the Elizabathan would be doable, with a 7 year old and a rescue dog who was supposed to be a 'maximum' of 25 kgs and is already 31kgs at 7 months, we really need something between 30-33ft.
I also think that as is the way with cars in France, boats are generally over-priced in comparison to the UK/Holland and scandi countries. Also, as is the way with houses in France, people very rarely get a survey done and when they do they are expensive (1k+ for a 28ft boat) . For me, it would be a necessity. With that in mind, I thing I will concentrate more on the UK for the search, perhaps asking one of you nice people to do an initial visit, then having a survey done and then self-isolating on the boat if those rules are still in place by the time we come.
Could someone please clarify the post-brexit no deal situation? I note many people have said it is where the boat is on Dec 31st, so it is more the location then than the flag it is under? My thoughts are leaning towards an Irish registration- the French seem to have many more rules and regs in place (red tape is the order of the day here).
On a side note, the pup learnt that he could swim and made his way quite happily around the boats, as did the 7 year old.
You're getting lots of good advice on here from posters more expert than me so I'll confine my comments to the following:
- it does appear the location of the boat on B Day will be critical so if you buy in the UK you need to move it by 31/12/20 (this date may change but i wouldn't rely on it),
- country of registration is not important for VAT or Union status,
- you mention Irish registration. Can be done but unwieldy and relatively costly including a requirement for a tonnage survey,
- my advice would be to find a "friendly" address in the UK and put your boat on the SSR (yes I know it means making a false declaration but which of us hasn't done something worse if we'd only admit it).

L_555

Visit site
Thanks for some more excellent advice! I don't suppose that any of the YBW forum members happen to be based anywhere near Klundert in the Netherlands by any chance? ?

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
I can only add to the positive support here. I'm sure a lot of people would do just as you plan if it weren't for the jobs, mortgage, schooling etc of western convention.
The boat you end up with is bound to be a compromise between availability, price, condition, desirability and how close it is to your ideal.
Unless you're really keen to do work on it, spend as much as you can on a good boat and use the time enjoying it.
You've probably had a look at the liveaboard section. Might be worth posting there as well for boat suggestions as some members don't look in other sections.

jamie N

Visit site
I'm in IJmuiden just now, and might be able to go to Klundert on Monday; I'm waiting for an wind company to make a decision...... :sleep:

Uricanejack

Visit site
Hello all- like many, I have been a lurker here for several months now. Last year I had a breast cancer diagnosis and 2 months ago finished the whole surgery/chemo/radiotherapy.
I think it is fair to say that rather than a mid-life (okay, that too!) crisis, I am having a post-cancer one. That is involving wanting to buy a sailing boat this year, learning to sail it, and equip it over the next twelve to eighteen months with the intention of then taking a year off with my then 8/9 year old son and dog to explore the seas of Europe.
I live in France and have seen some centurion 32's for around the 7-8k mark, but, as and when lockdown finishes, I am also more than happy to travel back to the UK or even Ireland to buy a boat...and learn to sail it.
I know it sounds ridiculous. Good friends of mine who are ex pro sailors are telling me to go for it, everyone else thinks I am bonkers. It really arises from a need to do something now- previously I have campervanned all over Europe with my son, wild camping on the beaches of France and the Italian lakes. Unfortunately, my son doesn't remember much of it and my concern is that if cancer was to come and try to take me on again in 2/3 years time, his over-riding memories of his childhood will have been 'sick-mother'. No doubt many of you think I am bonkers too, but for those that don't, any advice or indeed links to boats you think might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
Go for it, if you can, you won’t regret it.

I was 35, my youngest daughter had just started walking. When I was diagnosed. The only other people near my age, I would see regularly at the clinic were women.
I never asked what they were in for, We always talked about something else.
It changed my priorities. What was important before just didn’t feel important anymore.
After this my most important concern was, seeing them grow up. Or not. Spending time with my kids became my priority.
Budget of course is a concern. Camping was fun,
A few years later, I bought an old cheep small sail boat 24ft. My oldest son was never very keen but my younger son and daughter Came with me regularly and we went camping on our boat, we had a lot of fun and great memories.
later I bought a bigger boat.
We had the most fun with the first one.
The only regret, not doing it sooner.
Sailing may or may not be the ideal for you and your son. Spending time together will be, Go do it give it a try, if it works great if not move on to something else.
Get a small boat you can afford now and go sail it together. Don’t waste time thinking about it. The reality is they grow up to fast and go off to do other things.
I was lucky, I saw, them grow up, now they still occasionally come sailing, or canoeing or camping with me.
20 years later, I’m still around.

L_555

Visit site
Hi
Go for it, if you can, you won’t regret it.

I was 35, my youngest daughter had just started walking. When I was diagnosed. The only other people near my age, I would see regularly at the clinic were women.
I never asked what they were in for, We always talked about something else.
It changed my priorities. What was important before just didn’t feel important anymore.
After this my most important concern was, seeing them grow up. Or not. Spending time with my kids became my priority.
Budget of course is a concern. Camping was fun,
A few years later, I bought an old cheep small sail boat 24ft. My oldest son was never very keen but my younger son and daughter Came with me regularly and we went camping on our boat, we had a lot of fun and great memories.
later I bought a bigger boat.
We had the most fun with the first one.
The only regret, not doing it sooner.
Sailing may or may not be the ideal for you and your son. Spending time together will be, Go do it give it a try, if it works great if not move on to something else.
Get a small boat you can afford now and go sail it together. Don’t waste time thinking about it. The reality is they grow up to fast and go off to do other things.
I was lucky, I saw, them grow up, now they still occasionally come sailing, or canoeing or camping with me.
20 years later, I’m still around.
Thank you and so glad you are still here to tell the tale xx

Wansworth

Visit site
I would go for 26 foot bilge keeler and bank on a marina berth every few days for a shower etc,make sure it has a reliable engine you don’t want too much stress or load your son with too much weight of your idea,he may not like it as much as you think.with a bilge keeler you can access lots of small harbours and leave it saftely if required.