positioning a battery in a sealed space ??

lenten

Visit site
i have got a 15 foot outboard powered open boat with a well sealed airless front cuddy-------i want to install a 100ah battery in the cuddy----- the weight will balance the boat better ---but does a battery need ventilation??------thanks

William_H

Visit site
Probably ok with an open topped lead acid battery assuming that charge rate from the outboard engine will be quite small. Just be careful if you fast charge it from a mains charger. ol'will

PaulRainbow

Visit site
i have got a 15 foot outboard powered open boat with a well sealed airless front cuddy-------i want to install a 100ah battery in the cuddy----- the weight will balance the boat better ---but does a battery need ventilation??------thanks

It should have a vent. All you need to do is to drill a small hole for the battery breather tube, making sure no water can get back down the tube. The tube needs to rise, as hydrogen is lighter than air.

I would fit an AGM battery, avoid open cell batteries.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Probably ok with an open topped lead acid battery assuming that charge rate from the outboard engine will be quite small. Just be careful if you fast charge it from a mains charger. ol'will

What happens when the OP arrives at his boat after it's been on shore power for a couple of days, with a shorted cell ? The cuddy will be full of hydrogen, one little spark and:

IMG-20210626-WA0000.jpg

boatmike

Visit site
I posted recently that my Moody 35 had the batteries in a closed locker under the bed. Having been involved with commercial boat and shipbuilding in a past life I have always been taught that lead acid batteries should be in a vented compartment to stop hydrogen build up. In fact Lloyds have insisted on it. I got a mixed reaction from others though saying in effect "don't worry about it" and I do reflect that Moody 35s were built to Lloyds standard reputedly? Nevertheless I intend to vent the underbed space to atmosphere with the addition of a small grille as suggested by another member. Don't think it requires a lot but I still think totally closed compartments is a bad idea. Can't hurt and just might avoid a possibly catastrophic situation even if it is an unlikely event.

Momac

Visit site
I am sure many boats have a bow thruster or anchor winch battery located in a space that is not ventilated directly to the outside air , like under the floor of the front cabin .
The boat safety scheme for inland waterways craft allows a sealed type battery in such a space.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I posted recently that my Moody 35 had the batteries in a closed locker under the bed. Having been involved with commercial boat and shipbuilding in a past life I have always been taught that lead acid batteries should be in a vented compartment to stop hydrogen build up. In fact Lloyds have insisted on it. I got a mixed reaction from others though saying in effect "don't worry about it" and I do reflect that Moody 35s were built to Lloyds standard reputedly? Nevertheless I intend to vent the underbed space to atmosphere with the addition of a small grille as suggested by another member. Don't think it requires a lot but I still think totally closed compartments is a bad idea. Can't hurt and just might avoid a possibly catastrophic situation even if it is an unlikely event.

As i said in the thread you refer to, being beneath a bunk or a sofa isn't necessarily a sealed space. My batteries are beneath a saloon sofa, but if the gas, the Co alarm in the aft cabin goes off, so definitely not an airtight space.

The OP here describes a "well sealed airless front cuddy ", if that's the case, it needs ventilation.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I am sure many boats have a bow thruster or anchor winch battery located in a space that is not ventilated directly to the outside air , like under the floor of the front cabin .
The boat safety scheme for inland waterways craft allows a sealed type battery in such a space.

In which case the BSS is flawed (no surprise there i guess).

If the space isn't airtight (typical under bunk space) then standard wet cell batteries will be fine, any hydrogen can escape. If the space is airtight, a sealed lead acid battery can still gas, vent hydrogen and with the aid of a spark, explode.

Momac

Visit site
If the space isn't airtight (typical under bunk space) then standard wet cell batteries will be fine, any hydrogen can escape.
That's more or less what I have but I would not like to say gas can escape freely and certainly it cant escape freely directly to the outside air. The area where the bow thruster battery is located in a bilge area under a lift out floor panel and the area is connected to an adjacent fairly large bilge area.

lenten

Visit site
thanks for all replies been helpful-----the basis for this enquiry was me blowing up a battery whilst charging on a car many years ago---- my 15 hp yamaha has a very low charging rate and any faster charging will be done in a barn with the cuddy open-----an open boat can be very wet-----spray/rain or both so i can t think of any practical way to vent without some dampness getting into cuddy-----there will be no switches in cuddy so no sparks??---on balance i think i will position battery in cuddy and open hatch to ventilate when possible