Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

nortada

Visit site
Because this thread has dipped in and out of general residential issues throughout Europe.

Has it? I thought this thread was all about trying to help somebody with information about obtaining residency in Portugal and associated issues but as often happens it is plagued with bystanders who like to drift it off topic.

emandvee44

Visit site
"Before you ask how will they know where you are, your passport is checked every time you enter or leave Portugal. The forthcoming biometric residency permit coupled with the Schengen Database, will make tracking your movements even more easy."

There are no passport checks at the border if you are in a car!?
M.

nortada

Visit site
"Before you ask how will they know where you are, your passport is checked every time you enter or leave Portugal. The forthcoming biometric residency permit coupled with the Schengen Database, will make tracking your movements even more easy."

There are no passport checks at the border if you are in a car!?
M.

Think you have trawled back and part quoted a post from me back-along (#195).

You will recall my full post identified that you would be checked when you left the Schengen Zone, which would invariably happen if you depart from a marina or by air. I went on to concede that so long as you remained in the Schengen Zone, your movements may escape detection.

This thread is trying to give advice on residency in Portugal so I am increasingly interested why people who have no interest in residency in Portugal are determined to drift this thread off the topic?

Now that the OP has confirmed that he will not meet the criteria for temporary residency in Portugal (minimum of 6 month in residence, per year, for the first 5 years), the purpose of this thread has become somewhat academic.

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
Think you have trawled back and part quoted a post from me back-along.

You will recall my full post identified that you would be checked when you left the Schengen Zone, which would invariably happen if you depart from a marina or by air. I went on to concede that so long as you remained in the Schengen Zone, your movements may escape detection.

This thread is trying to give advice on residency in Portugal so I am increasingly interested why people who have no interest in residency in Portugal are determined to drift this thread off the topic?
The point is that I believe residency becomes invalid if a person spends more than 183 days continuously out of the country. However without land border controls who is to know?
M.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Part of residency is abiding by your host nation's laws, one of them is to exchange your driving license after a period of time.

Driving in Portugal after the UK leaves the EU
Driving licence rules will stay the same during the transition period.

If you are resident in Portugal on leave date you will be required to exchange your UK driving licence for a Portuguese one in any IMT office. You will have until 31 December 2020 to make this exchange.

If you move to Portugal after leave date you will have 90 days from the day you become resident to exchange driving licences. After these 90 days you would be required to take a Portuguese practical driving test. When you exchange your driving licence, IMT will issue a temporary permit (guia) as a replacement until your new Portuguese driving licence arrives. You can only drive in Portugal with this temporary permit (guia).

Feedback
While there is no obligation on your part to provide feedback on the services you receive, any feedback you can give us is helpful, so we would like to hear from you.

British Consulate Lisbon
Rua de São Bernardo 33
1249-082 Lisboa
Portugal

Telephone
+351 21 392 40 00

Use our contact form for consular enquiries including on your rights after the UK’s exit from the EU:
www.gov.uk/contact-consulate-lisbon

Sailfree

Visit site
If you get a driving licence in a EU country that you spend time in as UK will be out of the EU can you apply for your UK licence to be reissued?

As I understand it you are only entitled to drive in any country on a foreign licence for a limited number of days 90? I am thinking of the many that might spend say 7 months in an EU country one year and then 5 months in UK yet next year the periods are reversed.

Hence you will be illegal in one country at some time.

Certainly if you are NZ, Australian, US or Canadian most retain their mother countries driving licence.

This is possibly an aspect that has not been sorted yet with brexit with the many other more important aspects to be sorted.

Anyone know any facts?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
As you like guys , don't kill anyone in your uninsured cars...

Why do you keep giving false information? As you seem to be a self-appointed expert on Portugal although AFAIK never having had residence, you should be aware that many of us with residence actually have "dual residence" so spend more than 3 months in two countries. Perhaps you can explain how one meets the criteria in both countries?

As for not having a physical license whilst being exchanged, have you read insurance terms? - Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If you get a driving licence in a EU country that you spend time in as UK will be out of the EU can you apply for your UK licence to be reissued?
As I understand it you are only entitled to drive in any country on a foreign licence for a limited number of days 90? I am thinking of the many that might spend say 7 months in an EU country one year and then 5 months in UK yet next year the periods are reversed.
Hence you will be illegal in one country at some time.
Certainly if you are NZ, Australian, US or Canadian most retain their mother countries driving licence.
This is possibly an aspect that has not been sorted yet with brexit with the many other more important aspects to be sorted.
Anyone know any facts?

One is not supposed to hold licenses in two EU countries at the same time but we only have a couple of months to go and as you say, no info yet about >01/01/21. Although Clancy may disagree :) according to DVLA when I spoke to them, the mother country normally takes precedence.

As I'm still tax resident and citizen of UK and my license is still current on DVLA database (and I haven't received my Portuguese one) I obtained a replacement.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
'Why do you keep giving false information? As you seem to be a self-appointed expert on Portugal'

I will bow out now the insults have started. Indeed, good luck Webby.

Sailfree

Visit site
One is not supposed to hold licenses in two EU countries at the same time but we only have a couple of months to go and as you say, no info yet about >01/01/21. Although Clancy may disagree :) according to DVLA when I spoke to them, the mother country normally takes precedence.

As I'm still tax resident and citizen of UK and my license is still current on DVLA database (and I haven't received my Portuguese one) I obtained a replacement.

You miss the point. From 1st Jan21 the UK will be a separate country - what then.

perhaps should of made the intent of my post clearer

nortada

Visit site
'Why do you keep giving false information? As you seem to be a self-appointed expert on Portugal'

I will bow out now the insults have started. Indeed, good luck Webby.

CP

For your information Graham is a highly respected expert on Portugal. Respected by those who know.

Got to ask, for somebody who doesn’t give a thrupenny bit for Portugal, why did you get involved in the first place❓

But your last sentence rather gives it away,”I will bow out now that the insults have started”. Mission completed❓

Worry not, as you have now bowed out any insults will quickly subside.

Finally, a thought, as Webby’s final destination is the Canaries, possibly you could start a new thread and put your knowledge at his disposal.