Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We are about to set off on a long-postponed very low budget trip with the plan of leaving a small old boat in the Canaries to use as a Winter escape. This is a plan some years in the hatching, based on a previous Winter I spent in the Canaries and various visits since, and essentially do-able if tight financially, but Brexit has more than slightly complicated this and I am wondering if I am completely mad.

The sketchy plan at the moment is to stop off for a month in Portugal on the way down to try to get Portuguese residency, as this would provide exemption from the 90/180 regime due to come in at the end of the year. I had thought of staying in the Algarve for a month while organising this, but have no idea how practical this is. Algarve marina prices seem exorbitant before the end of September. Are there any cheaper options than Faro ? (Which is looking like around €900 for September including VAT, boat is 9.3m x 2.7m)

What exactly is involved in getting Portuguese residency at the moment, am I being at all realistic? Does anyone have recent relevant experience? Do I need proof of residence (eg marina contract) and proof of income (mostly pension . . . .)

Any and all info gratefully received.

- W

greeny

Visit site
I think you would be better stopping off in Spain and getting Spanish residency if your end destination is the Canaries. The Spanish residence status would then give you the right to stay in Spain, the Portuguese residence may or may not give you that right and your status could get more complicated than it needs to be.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I think you would be better stopping off in Spain and getting Spanish residency if your end destination is the Canaries. The Spanish residence status would then give you the right to stay in Spain, the Portuguese residence may or may not give you that right and your status could get more complicated than it needs to be.

+1

Not realistic, having residency in one State still leaves you with 90/180 elsewhere.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
+1

Not realistic, having residency in one State still leaves you with 90/180 elsewhere.

People seem very unclear about this.

But if you are right (and I suspect you are) then if I want to keep a boat in the Canaries then Spanish residency is the only answer.

I suspect that in Spain, even in the Canaries, a month's marina contract is unlikely to satisfy the local authorities. Perhaps someone who has gone through an application for Spanish residency recently could enlighten me?

- W

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
People seem very unclear about this.

Don't understand why people are unclear as enough information is available on EU and UK gov sites, much of which has been quoted on Liveaboard forum. Unless there's a deal, unlimited time is allowed in country of residence which still leaves 90/180 days travel in other countries. No point whatsoever you applying for Portuguese residence if you don't intend staying here.

Others will have to comment on obtaining Spanish residence.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Don't understand why people are unclear as enough information is available on EU and UK gov sites, much of which has been quoted on Liveaboard forum. Unless there's a deal, unlimited time is allowed in country of residence which still leaves 90/180 days travel in other countries. No point whatsoever you applying for Portuguese residence if you don't intend staying here.

Others will have to comment on obtaining Spanish residence.

Thank you. There is also a lot of misinformation online, and it was on a fairly authoritative-looking website that I initially got the impression that residence in a Schengen country allowed free travel throughout the Schengen area. I had my doubts.

Looks like it is Spanish residency before the end of this year or abandon all hope. I have a feeling that the Spanish authorities may require more than a one month marina contract to entertain you, and so we are now considering abandoning the trip until next year and perhaps renting a flat in San Sebastian instead.

- W

steveallan

Visit site
Thank you. There is also a lot of misinformation online, and it was on a fairly authoritative-looking website that I initially got the impression that residence in a Schengen country allowed free travel throughout the Schengen area. I had my doubts.

Looks like it is Spanish residency before the end of this year or abandon all hope. I have a feeling that the Spanish authorities may require more than a one month marina contract to entertain you, and so we are now considering abandoning the trip until next year and perhaps renting a flat in San Sebastian instead.

- W

Rules for Spanish recidency have just changed lots of info online including UK Embassy web site also the Spanish Government below
BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-2020-7276

Clancy Moped

Visit site
If you plan to abandon the sail till next year, why not rent in the Canaries? San Sebastian is very nice but cold and wet in winter. That way, you get your residential status sorted out where you intend to base yourselves. If you do it in San Sebastian you will have to re register yourselves on the Padron when you move, and get the address changed on your residency docs. Start to looking into the TIE card which is going to replace the green residents card from the 1 Jan.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
If you plan to abandon the sail till next year, why not rent in the Canaries? San Sebastian is very nice but cold and wet in winter. That way, you get your residential status sorted out where you intend to base yourselves. If you do it in San Sebastian you will have to re register yourselves on the Padron when you move, and get the address changed on your residency docs. Start to looking into the TIE card which is going to replace the green residents card from the 1 Jan.

Hi Clancy,

I meant San Sebastian de la Gomera, in the Canaries. We are looking into that right now, wondering how long a rental contract we would have to produce. Also a little nervous that something else unforseen (officialdom?) could screw it all up after we have invested time and money. It's the approaching deadline that is concentrating the mind.

Can I really just turn up in Spain, take a non-holiday rental and be pretty much guaranteed of getting residence? The documentation linked to above implies yes, but beauraucracy is a frightening thing.

- W

Clancy Moped

Visit site

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
As far as I can see Webby the Spanish have laid out what they intend to do with us, and as far as I can see its all fairly straightforward. You might find the following links useful.

Spanish Residency Card (TIE): All You Need to Know - Wandering Earl

Residency After No Deal Brexit: TIE Card

https://www.idealista.com/en/alquiler-viviendas/san-sebastian-de-la-gomera-santa-cruz-de-tenerife/
Hola. Can't see anything there about proof of income and health insurance? Not sure but we get the idea that there are exceptions to that for those receiving state pensions?,

Clancy Moped

Visit site
That is certainly something to add to the list, but assuming Webby can afford this trip financially he should be fine, inc private health care, do you know if 'convenio especial' will still be available after 1 Jan?